“Special and unique place to make memories, wonderful service”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 161 Hotels in Udaipur
London, UK
“Special and unique place to make memories, wonderful service”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here for just one night, which was not enough really, but we had already stayed a couple of nights elsewhere in Udaipur and done the sights, so we just stayed in the hotel and made the most of it. Our room was not enormous but a nice size with sofa, writing table etc. and I think they had upgraded us from our booking. The bed and bedlinen were amazing. There is a beautiful pool and I had a treatment at the spa - excellent and reasonable prices for a five star hotel. I hadn't really read the reviews before going as my partner booked it, so all the nice touches were a surprise, which I won't spoil for you. The food is incredibly good - Indian fine dining + Western. The service is wonderful - customer service is very good all over Rajasthan but this was the best we had had. The staff know your names from the start and make you feel that you are a very important customer to them. There are few downsides, although we were there in monsoon season and unsurprisingly there is a lot of moisture in the air. This meant that some of our clothes felt damp, as the AC was sucking in such humid air I think. We mentioned it to the front desk and they sent someone to look at it straight away and offered us a different room. Also the open internal courtyard does mean the noise can echo a bit and the birds make a racket at dawn - take some earplugs. But these are minor things. In the end it is an old building and unique. There is a newer high end hotel on the lake, but without this history. And that's not to mention James Bond! They do a very good job of maintaining this historic building and to such a high standard - the logistics are mind boggling. We came away with very happy memories, which is what it's all about.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 1 September 2013

It's an actual palace that you stay at & they truly make you feel like Royalty :). It's the people that make the place worth it & i must say that the staff here was SUPER good. We really had a FAB holiday, we didn't step out of the property in the 4 days that we stayed there except for 1/2 a day when we went to see the city palace & the crystals there. When we got back to the Lake Palace, we realized how we actually missed being there for the 1/2 day that we stepped out. The food is excellent & the service & staff just do a wonderful job of making the experience even better. It's very cosy & perfect I would say, I am not sure if I would want to stay at another property if I were to visit Udaipur again on holiday. Don't know what more to say, it's an experience that one should enjoy if you can afford it. Eyes Shut I would go back there over & over again.

3 Thank RoshanDutt
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 August 2013

This legendary hotel is as good as you imagine staying in an Indian palace would be. You're greeted by a shower of rose petals when you arrive. The food and service are perfect. Also, because I had to mix work and pleasure, I was pleasantly surprised to find the Internet access is fast and reasonably priced (600 Rp for two devices fro 24 hrs). I tried room service in the evenings and breakfast in the restaurant. The selection and quality of food are great.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jonathan J
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The welcome at the jetty is really warm and I immediately had a good feel about our stay here. Unfortunately the first room we were shown into was not at all to our taste and a real let down after all the other hotels we had visited. I mentioned this and thought no more. Within a few minutes however we were contacted to say that there were some alternative rooms we could view and we ended up with a really lovely room. I was impressed by the efficient handling of the matter and from then on I was really happy there. It is mesmerising being able to stand and gaze at the water and all the activity going on around you. This is such a different setting for a hotel that it is difficult to capture in words how truly special it is - it is a little piece of magic

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gillian L
delhi
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Not just honeymooners, anyone looking for a luxurious holiday full of pampering head here. I love taj properties, their hospitality, little details that are taken care of! Everything from arrival to departure are so carefully thought of. His hotel is speak because besides its rich history my parents came here for their honeymoon. I can only believe ow romantic this is after seeing it now. It is beyond stunning, the boat ride, flowers, smiling staff, gorgeous rooms! Must must do if you go to dubious and if you can afford it. I will be staying t the leela his time because its a sponsored trip for work so ll do a face off.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

From the moment you arrive at the Taj private jetty, the calm welcoming smiles of the staff soothe away all travelling worries as they take you into their care and pass you a refreshing ice cold towel.
Arrriving to rose petals falling from the sky as you step into the Palace, walking to breakfast to the sound of a live flautist hanging notes in the air beneath a dome in the terrace above, and the complimentary gifts just kept coming - delicious canapes at the bar, chocolates in my bedroom at the end of the day, taster dishes brought around to the table at every meal, folk dancing and music every evening, a parting gift as I checked out - incredible attention to detail and magically delivered. I slept beautifully, swam in the heavanly pool, sat tranquil in the beautifully appointed sitting rooms - heavanly.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 24 August 2013

You stay in a palace. You are pampered royally. They truly go out of the way to ensure you have a memorable stay.

Beautiful rooms, a lovely ambience, extremely attentive service, the best of chefs and cuisine.

Room Tip: Ask for the ground floor lake side rooms facing the City Palace. A marvellous view. You will feel a...