Taj lake palace was the reason we decided to spend our daughters 1st birthday in udaipur. We had been to udaipur earlier ( on the occasion of our first marriage anniversary in 2009 ) and were in love with its temples , lakes , mountains, palaces and vintage cars. But the place that took my breath away was the lake palace in the middle of lake pichola. I had made a promise to myself that if I ever come back to the city it will be for this palace hotel .
We arrived at the airport in the afternoon of 19th September . After 30 minutes of car ride and 15 minutes of boat ride we reached the palace. The staff welcomed us royally showing rose petals.Serenity was what we felt at time .
The base room felt a bit constricted as there was very little space to walk around. The selection of tea and coffee in the room was the best that could be provided. The food was delectable and appealed more as it was serviced in Varsace china. The in room dining was a complete value for money as the portions were large enough for 4 people. The complimentary thali had the best kulfi I have ever tasted. However some authentic Rajasthani cuisines like laal maas , kerr sangri were prepared to cater to the foreigners and seemed bland for an Indian spice lover . Breakfast was worth a mention . The spread had everything one can ask for and the egg Benedict was sublime.
A couple of incidents were appalling and dampened the mood - our request to upgrade against vouchers were blatantly declining stating they are running at 100% occupancy. But we could hardly spot any crowd in restaurants or other places. The biggest slip up was that my daughters birthday was forgotten by the hotel staff. There were no arrangements done till the time we let our displeasure known to the dy manager of the property. But they were prompt to make amends. A nice birthday party was arranged for her and we even got upgraded to a suite. Every suite is unique and has a story to tell. The name of the suite was Sandhya. It was magical to watch the sun set from the sprawling storing area of the suite. After the upgrade we dropped the idea of stepping out rather we had spent the evening taking pictures all around . The smallest of the things places there seemed stunning. Antiques were placed at the entrance in the corridor that led to the sitting area. The size of the bathroom was as big as the bed room . Then there was a single marble structure that separated the bed room and living room. The lamp shades were exquisite and so was the feather like king size bed and not to mention the silver teaspoons and silk robes and slippers. It was the pinnacle of extravaganza. That night in the palace suite we were soaking in Rajput hospitality in the middle of lake pichola , being completely oblivious of the outside world. Then just when I thought we have reached the pinnacle of luxury , there was a jaguar waiting for us to drop us to the airport.
The flute , the folk music and the sitars from the palace hotel are still reeling in my ears as I am writing the review. Lake palace has an old world charm with modern amenities. It's bright , extravagant, opulent yet so quaint . Most importantly the staff - especially at the restaurants made us feel a part of a family for 3 days. Can any other place better that . Guess not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ethereal Taj Lake Palace affords guests the pleasures of India's bygone princely era. Over the centuries, it has played host to royalty, poets and writers and the Maharana's guests. Trappings like a welcoming vintage car ride to the charming city of Udaipur, the Jiva Spa boat, royal butlers, recipes from traditional Mewari cuisine and arrival by boat - all little facets that make this former pleasure palace the celebrated luxury hotel it is today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, DerbySoftTaj, Southall Travel, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your Taj Lake Palace Udaipur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Taj Lake Palace Udaipur Hotel Udaipur
- Lake Palace Udaipur
- Taj Lake Palace Hotel Udaipur
- Lake Palace Hotel Udaipur
- Udaipur Taj Lake Palace