“One of my best five star stays ever”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 163 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

It is hard to beat this incredibly located property, which after visiting all the other luxury hotels in the area is by far the most impressive. The sheer history of this hotel, make it a real pleasure to stay at. Some hotels that are steeped in as much history as this one, often fail to deliver in terms of luxury and service, however not the Taj Lake Palace. The service is incredibly attentive, yet not intrusive. All staff members ensured that we were happy and displayed an incredible level of professionalism and attention to detail. For example we played scrabble one evening at the hotel bar, and while laying out at the pool one afternoon a staff member brought the same Scrabble set to play at the pool. Little examples like this were repeated many times over.

The hotel has fantastic dining options. Weirded all the hotel restaurants and were incredibly impressed.

The rooms are very luxurious and appropriately decorated.

The views and setting of this hotel are a big winner also.

We look forward to returning to this property again to be pampered in the near future.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PCS79
There are newer reviews for Taj Lake Palace Udaipur

Reviewed 11 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel during our first wedding anniversary last september. From check in to check out, it was royal! The people at the hotel make you feel like a king! No request is denied, no question unanswered! The food we had at this hotel was the best that we had ever had in a long long time! Their spa is also amazing. This place is truly heaven on earth! The location also makes for many romantic settings, which was just perfect for us.
Waiting to go back again soon to this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

It's a fantastic hotel with superb ambiance, luxury, service, food, hospitality..
Everything was mind blowing, I stayed here in February 2013 for 2 nights.
It's an amazing luxury option, can go here repetitive also.

Room Tip: Lake view Room, and an early check-in
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Awesome place. A heaven on earth. And a perfect gift for your wife birthday.
And the great thing was that our room was upgraded to a suit. Wow. cant ask for more.

Great swimming pool. the Food is great. The greatest thing is the boat ride from the mainland to the hotel. Wow

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed two nights at the Taj Lake Palace in December 2013.

I stayed in a lake view room on the first floor, facing the City Palace.

The hotel provides outstanding service in a magical location. The staff works tirelessly to anticipate your every need.

I took the Hotel's Heritage Walking Tour - which I enjoyed. I found the in-room-dining to be excellent. The rooms are smaller than I expected, but they are very comfortable. My view was romantic and ideal.

I did find the gratuity situation confusing. When checking in I was tipping staff until I arrived at my room - in the room there is a sign that states something like..."tipping individual team members is not encouraged" well what does that mean - is tipping discouraged? or just not encouraged? There are so many staff helping at every turn it is difficult to tip everyone - but if I did as the sign suggested and give a tip to the reception at the end of my stay, how do I know my tip reaches the front-line staff. Plus, after tipping during arrival I had the sense that those staff members knew I was tipping and then were looking for me to tip throughout my stay. I don't mind tipping, I just found the expectations confusing.

The only negative of my stay, which was minor, was a charge on my final bill for food that I did not have. When I pointed this out at check-out, it was immediately fixed, I mention this only as a reminder to always check your bills at hotels, as mistakes happen.

I would also mention that the turn down service and chocolate is a very nice touch and beyond expectations.

I would be excited to stay at this hotel again. I highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a view of the city palace - it is a very romantic view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank SMDTraveler
Shyam_Kaikini, General Manager at Taj Lake Palace Udaipur, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear SMDTraveler,

Thank you for your gracious compliments and for sharing your Taj Lake Palace experience.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the Palace Heritage Tour – with its 267 years of history, the Lake Palace does have innumerable interesting anecdotes which our team of historians enjoy sharing.

Regarding tips, please accept my apologies that we were not clearer on our tipping policy. All tips, even those handed to individuals, are pooled and shared among all the employees of the Palace. In that sense, the intent really is to make it convenient for our guests to tip (should they choose to) at the end of their stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again and should you need any assistance with reservations at Taj Lake Palace or other Taj Hotels, please do write to me at lpugm.udp@tajhotels.com.

Kind regards,

Shyam Kaikini
General Manager – Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed for 3 nights on our 2 weeks rajas tan trip and enjoyed the stay very much. Top service and food as well as top location. Staff is highly motivated and extremely friendly and helpful. Pool area is wonderful. Spa is highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Best hotel ever!! The location on the lake is incredibly beautiful!! And the service is superb! Best hotel for honeymoons or engagements! Only hotel guests can enter the island, so you don't have any noise or other people. And don't forget to try the rooftop restaurant - best views on the City Palace!

Room Tip: A lake view room is definitely recommended because of the beautiful location!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple