“One of the best one”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 177 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

the best luxury property of all times really nice maintain pool food view everything is so nice and ccharming we were coming get a given and alien hope we will and recommend every one and the best part of it the staff is really helpful with everything not like other five star hotels that thru only accept a good tip from you

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank jhongill06
Write a ReviewReviews (3,223)

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I don't even have to read all the other reviews on TripAdvisor to know that there are ton of "oohs" and "ahhs" about the Taj Lake Palace hotel......

I know this as this is simply one of THE most amazing hotels in the world. I have stayed in many luxury places such as most of the Aman resorts.. but few, if any, come close to this hotel.. so why is it so amazing? In a nutshell:

* amazing location (suspended in a magical lake)
* amazing suites (well worth the sky high prices!)
* amazing food (especially the "order anything you like" all-inclusive breakfast)
* amazing service (with caring management team)
* amazing sightseeing (touring the local fort is a must)
* amazing serenity and peacefulness (virtually noise free area)
* amazing events (New Year's eve dinner was simply divine)
and of course.. amazing prices (lol..)

I can go on and on and on, but my words will not transport you to the heavenly hotel that is the Taj Lake Palace in Udaipur. Believe me, this is one of those places that you must visit at least once in your life! Save up and go.. now!!

Room Tip: Book the original suite of the Maharajah.. Brad and Angelina did.. and they loved it!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Titillator
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My fiance and I were in a trip in Radjastan. We decided to to end our trip by this amazing place.
It was a present for his birthday.

I went to some "luxury hotels" around the world but this one, it is the most spectacular. I think that you can even not compare it with others luxury hotels. It is out of competition !

From the beginning to the end of the stay, you are in a dream. The place itself is just fabulous but the service also is crazy ! The personal are very attentive, very helpful, very pleasant.
"Of course" you can say as it is a luxury hotel but I will tell you that it is not everywhere like this even in 4 or 5 stars hotels.

While going there, you are not "staying" in an hotel. You are staying in a "museum", in a "palace full of history", in a "private garden", in a place where all is though to be pleasant to you until the small details... This is an unique experience !

Moreover, the last day when we wanted to leave, I felt sick unfortunately. But the personal was very helpful and they even let me rest in the room until our departure in the afternoon.

I don't know if I can be more amazed in an another hotel after a stay there.

Thanks to the Taj Lake Palace and for this piece of dream !

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A Z
Reviewed 17 January 2014

This property is everything others reviewers have stated. The only reason I've given 4 stars instead of 5 is because of one staff member whom ruined an otherwise perfect experience at checkout. While checking-out, this staff member, supposedly one of the managers, provided myself and my friends with bills which were mixed up and included charges which we did not actually incur. One bill was for room service, the bill itself did not have a signature and I pointed out that at the time of the service listed on the bill, I and my friends were having dinner in one of the restaurants. I'm not sure if this person realized that my friends and I understand Hindi and knew what he was saying over the phone to his colleagues. To us it came across as if he thought we were lying. While he was making corrections, he did not listen to what we were saying, as a result, it took him 3 times before we got something resembling a correct invoice. At no point was there an apology for delaying our checkout which did make us late to the airport. It was only after signing the final bill that my friend told the manager what she thought. At that point there was an apology from him, but he did not understand that he was the problem rather he stated that they 'would look into it'.

I'd like to assume this was a one-off for them. Everything else about this hotel is beautiful. All of the other staff members we came into contact with were exceptionally helpful and friendly. The location is unmatched by any of the other hotels in the vicinity and the rooms are beautiful. We were given upgrades to suites with amazing views. The only thing wrong with our stay was the checkout which left a negative impression.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2014

It is definitely as cool as it looks. A truly unique location and as romantic as it looks. Decent little fitness center, my wife enjoyed yoga, and breakfast was excellent. Pool is beautiful but chilly (we did not go in). Hot tubs are warm, but in little rooms that are inside - not as nice as we had hoped (so we did not use the hot tub). We got an amazing room off the courtyard behind the reception area, and the whole place is just amazing.

Service is good, but not as good as you might expect from a place that costs this much and looks this cool. Example: Ordered a drink (one of their specialty offerings) on the patio bar - the waiter said they were out of the ingredient for that drink. So I had to think of another. Meanwhile, he took my wife's order and left. 10 minutes later, he came back with her drink, and then took my order. I got my drink 10 minutes later. He might have considered the possibility that it does not take 10 minutes to think of another drink to order. But there was nobody there to ask, and he did not come by. This was not all the time, but it was not uncommon to get service like this - painfully earnest but sadly ineffective. The service at all the Taj properties we stayed at was similar. People think that good service means smiling, saying nice things and apologizing profusely when mistakes are made. The concept of not making mistakes and providing high quality service is notably lacking at all the Taj properties. They are well trained in pushing services and products (sunset cruise, "would you like a glass of champaign") and not mentioning the cost. They were very good at that. Kudos for pusing the 2 $20 glasses champaign. Prices are high even by western standards, as you might expect. Too bad they do not deliver service as well as they push it.

Room Tip: Not sure where the "bad" rooms are - we had a beautiful room with a view of the sunset wit...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I spent three months in India a few years back and this time around I was there for under a month, but we went to many places all over the country.

Lake Palace, Udaipur is HANDS DOWN my favorite place in India.

You enter by boat and arrive at the hotel to be showered with rose petals from above… The rooms are divine - (get one that has a sunrise view)… and the food is to die for.
We had several dietary restrictions in our group and the chefs went above and beyond to work with us and make it perfect.

We had 5 rooms for our group of 8 adults and 4 kids - and every room was perfect.

The highlight of our entire trip to India was going out on the 165 year old wooden boat at night that was adorned with candles and pillows and a sitar player - it was rowed by about six men - we had cocktails and cruised around the lake and then came upon the arches where the king used to have people dance for him and had the most amazing Rajasthani dancers and musicians perform for us (with fire balancing on their heads)… I can't even describe how magical it was.
Then we had a beautiful meal and wine served to us at a long banquet table on the boat.

We have all travelled a LOT and this was one of the best nights any of us have ever had abroad.

So clean, elegant, relaxing, beautiful and serene!

Room Tip: Room with view of the sunrise is a MUST! it was the most incredible way to wake up!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Zani R
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of our Rajhastan tour. It was the ideal way to end a great experience. Fantastic location, great room (palace room), good food, nightly show, good relaxing pool area and good service.

Room Tip: Wonderful views from all rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple