“Completely blissful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 151 Hotels in Udaipur
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Completely blissful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at this property to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, so naturally we wanted a really romantic place to celebrate our special day. I am happy to say that I couldn't have taken a better decision. From the moment we stepped into their jetty we were treated like royalties. If romance were to be structurally represented as a palace, it would take the shape of this hotel. Despite having gone during an off season, the experience has been nothing short of breathtaking. The palace lives up to its reputation of being the pleasure palace for the kings, views, room, entertainment, facilities and most importantly the staff are just fabulous. Service is very personal and intuitive. The restaurants are very impressive and clearly specialize in not only the local delicacies, but also international dishes. Their specialty restaurant is a must try for people wanting to sample some exquisite Rajasthani dishes. The palace offers some stunning sunset views and mesmerizing night visuals of the beautifully lit up forts and old structures on the banks of the lake. Its location is in close proximity to all the relevant tourist destinations of Udaipur. While best visited during the winters; personally I feel any season will be breathtaking in this palace hotel. It is a must stay for anyone looking for experiencing romance truly royal style.

Room Tip: Ask for lake facing rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pritampatnaik

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We went to Umaid Bhawan last year and decided to go to Lake Palace for my b day this year. The location is excellent and the boat ride to the hotel is refreshing. Our room was lake facing and had an amazing view of the lake. The service at the hotel was okay, nothing spectacular or worth remembering. There were many things that fell short of our expectation. The girl who was supposed to look after us, asked us on our arrival if we were celebration something special. We told her that it will be my b day on 28th. On my b day she didn't even remember that it was my b day. I didn't bother with her not even remembering but we asked for a cake to be set up in the evening for a small celebration. This cake was not there on our arrival and after asking twice did it arrive. The cake was nothing special and we didn't even bother to finish it. In fact it was the same sort of cake which they served us on our arrival. We had a dinner in our package which we choose to take on the last day of our stay. WE asked if it was possible for have the dinner in our room as our son is still young and keeps on running around. They said it was not possible and eventually we went to the restaurant, only to return because he and one other kid started playing and disturbing the guests. Then they said it was possible to have the dinner in the room. It was an unnecessary ordeal to go through. On last day the cleaning department didn't change our cups, neither did they empty the waster basket. With a 2 year, cleanliness is an issue for us. They didn't change the soaps everyday. There were these little little things that they should have looked into. The service failed to register an impression which we had hoped for, especially when staying with Taj. I must say that the service as Umaid Bhawan was spectacular. They spoiled us. And after that experience we consider that service as a threshold. And if any service falls short then for us its not good enough. On my b day, at Umaid Bhawan, we had a cake and champagne waiting for us with special compliments from the Manager, when we had just requested a cake. They really took care of everything which even we didn't think of. So Lake Palace needs to buckle up if it is looking for returning customers. It will take more than a shove and a push for us to go back there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Sparklelan
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The service was impeccable. The Indian food was delicious. The views were stunning. Each day the staff made designs using fresh flowers--some of them were about ten feet by ten feet--filled with variously colored flowers. Really really great if you are in India and tired and need a break.

Room Tip: I was lucky and got a free upgrade--ask for one!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Maxwell P
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel in Udaipur, India lives up to the high expectation of guests. It has been a few years since we stayed here but we have pleasant memories to this day.

The room rates are expensive but it certainly is worth staying here for even one night. One can only go to the hotel in a boat and just before one arrives there is a large statue submerged in water ( I never figured out the reason for the statue being there).

Great location, good rooms and very friendly staff.

Munir Daya

Room Tip: All rooms face the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had wanted to visit the Taj Lake Palace Hotel for many years and as we were driven from the airport I had a moments thought that it may not be as good as I expected. I shouldn't have been concerned as our whole stay from start to finish was wonderful and exceeded our expectations. We didn't want to leave. From the moment you are greeted at the docking area and showered with flower petals when you arrive at the hotel you are treated with utmost curtesy and first class customer service.
We were shown around the hotel and then taken to our room which was lovely - we had a palace room with a lake view. All the rooms are individual,ours had birds painted on the walls, a separate bathroom with shower and bath, separate toilet and double sinks and then a dressing room. On the second day it was our 33rd wedding anniversary and on our return from our sight seeing our butler Rajendra and another member of staff came to our room and asked us to 'hide' for five minutes. When we came back into the room there was a beautifully laid out table with a large anniversary cake, flowers, a scarf for me and a turban for my husband. There was a fabric umbrella we put up and Rajendra took photographs of us in our finery as we cut the cake. Five minutes later one of the photographs was given to us in Taj Lake Palace picture frame - wonderful and thoughtful gift. Rajendra also emailed all the photographs to us.
Then we were upgraded to a suite which was fabulous - we could sit by the window looking out across the lake and watch the sun go down. Wonderful
There were three dressing robes each !!! Fruit, chocolates and every toiletry you could need in the huge bathroom.
Breakfast was wonderful with a great choice and boxes supplied if you wanted to take something with you to eat on the go.The Jaharokha restaurant is where you eat breakfast and we ate dinner there twice. A good choice of food but the setting - looking over the the lake is wonderful. Request a window table and the staff will accommodate you - worth waiting for if you cannot get one immediately.
We ate at the Nell Kamal - food was good but the setting cannot match the lake views The chef made my husband some small dishes of food to try as he couldn't decide which dishes to choose.
We were sad to leave - the best hotel ever - first class staff and service.
On our journey to Jodhpur I had an accident with a bottle of water and our frame and anniversary picture were water damaged. I emailed our wonderful butler Rajendra to see if we could purchase another and have it shipped to the UK. Rajendra replied that a member of staff from the Taj Lake Palace was going to Jodhpur that night and he would send another framed picture with him for us.
Words failed us at this customer service and care for guests. The hotel manager rang us to check we had received the frame.
I cannot thank Rajendra enough for his kindness and making our anniversary and holiday one we will never ever forget.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Recommend Palace Rooms with a Lake View - the suite we had was 133 and we would stay there again on...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank a2b4fun
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had a 2 week trip throughout India.

We stayed in Udaipur, Jaipur, Agra, Cochin, Marari Beach, Munnar, and probably a few more cities I can't remember.

This was by far the nicest hotel we stayed in the entire trip, not to mention that I've personally ever stayed in.

The service was impeccable, to the flower petal entrance, the cleaning service, the pool guys bringing fresh water and iced cucumbers, we felt so comfortable and welcomed. With out it being stuffy. It was this amazing service with zero attitude. Most times when I stay at a fancy hotel (which I normally prefer boutique hotels) I feel like they are super snotty and you don't get good bang for your buck, well not here.

Even the food was reasonably priced for a beyond luxury hotel. Breakfast was AMAZING and included in our stay. They even made us a boxed breakfast when we had to depart early one morning.

I still have the incense they gave us when we departed!

Room Tip: choose a lake view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KatieKate14
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We recently got married and the events before and after the wedding had drained us out. So, I decided to gift my wife a short vacation trip and decided to start the new married life with royalty, hence I booked Taj Lake Palace.

We arrived on 22nd April and stayed for 3 nights. The outstanding hospitality started from Udaipur airport itself, when they sent a Jaguar to pick us up. The beautiful surprise which I kept from my wife was the welcome with flowers at the entrance of the hotel, this is where I felt, I hope I have given was she deserves. The wonderful & beautiful lady Ms.Neha escorted us to our room which was one of the original rooms during the hey days of the mahal. Being a lover of history, it was a perfect gesture for me.

The team was thoughtful enough to decorate the room with flower rangoli and had sweets and cake placed on the table behind a small cloth umbrella (called the lucky umbrella). Everything about the room was "Royal". I was even happier to see my wife enjoying the hospitality and the property, worth every rupee spent.

Luckily on the last day of our stay (after checking out), we decided to lunch at their restaurant 'Jharokha', again every dish we ordered was top notch. Luckily, we met the kind GM of the hotel Mr.Shyam Kaikini and had a wonderful discussion with him. Thanks to him and Taj's hospitality we were gifted the same cake that we got on the night we checked in.

Everything was special and it made my wife extremely happy (which I wanted), for which I am very thankful to everyone at Taj Lake Palace. Please accept my heartfelt regards and as promised we will visit the property again in November/December (Hope to get the same room).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple