“Best Taj Hotel in India”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 157 Hotels in Udaipur
Brisbane, Australia
“Best Taj Hotel in India”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

A very friendly welcome and the driver of the boat took our photo as we motored to the palace. Again we were made welcome with a cold drink and after the paperwork was completed we were taken to our room. We had a view of the beautiful city palace especially in the late afternoon where it glowed in the setting sunlight. We went to both restaurants and staff (including the chef) went out of their way to make our experience most enjoyable. In the evening we enjoyed martinis in the bar which the staff made perfectly the way we asked for.
The hotel is very beautiful and we went on the evening tour of the areas with explanations given.
This is more than a 5 star hotel. We were surprised to be told that all of our meals and drinks were 'on the house' on our last day at the hotel.
We thoroughly enjoyed our short time there and hope we will be able to visit again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank nefer14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
athens
Reviewed 21 May 2014

An amazing experience in a secluded and very well retained palace. It does feel like you live in a real palace and its people ensure that everything is up to the highest standards. The hotel isn't very large but big enough with many areas where you can relax, enjoy a drink have a lovely meal. The fact that is inside the lake initially concerned me as I wasn't sure how easily and regularly I could reach the shore and explore the city; however this was not an issue at all as the boat ride is only 5 mins and there is always a boat waiting for you either outside the hotel or at the jetty. I cannot praise enough the staff. On a a downside I think we were given one of the smallest rooms but it was overlooking the lake. So I think it was either a larger room overlooking the gardens or a smaller one overlooking the lake. We did see both rooms to choose but later I realised that the room we took at the back side was one of the smallest ones. Unfortunately I dont remember the room number to share with the readers. The pool and the pool are not exceptional but adequate. I guess withing the grounds of the palace and there were only so much they can do with regards to the pool. Finally I found the breakfast kind of minimal, still enough to feel like you are having a healthy breakfast but compared to breakfast served at other Taj Hotels this was very limiting. Overall a very pleasant experience and I am glad I had the opportunity to live it.

Room Tip: There are a couple of small rooms at the back corners of the palace. You gain the lake view but you...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank antinoosgr
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at this property to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, so naturally we wanted a really romantic place to celebrate our special day. I am happy to say that I couldn't have taken a better decision. From the moment we stepped into their jetty we were treated like royalties. If romance were to be structurally represented as a palace, it would take the shape of this hotel. Despite having gone during an off season, the experience has been nothing short of breathtaking. The palace lives up to its reputation of being the pleasure palace for the kings, views, room, entertainment, facilities and most importantly the staff are just fabulous. Service is very personal and intuitive. The restaurants are very impressive and clearly specialize in not only the local delicacies, but also international dishes. Their specialty restaurant is a must try for people wanting to sample some exquisite Rajasthani dishes. The palace offers some stunning sunset views and mesmerizing night visuals of the beautifully lit up forts and old structures on the banks of the lake. Its location is in close proximity to all the relevant tourist destinations of Udaipur. While best visited during the winters; personally I feel any season will be breathtaking in this palace hotel. It is a must stay for anyone looking for experiencing romance truly royal style.

Room Tip: Ask for lake facing rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pritampatnaik
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We went to Umaid Bhawan last year and decided to go to Lake Palace for my b day this year. The location is excellent and the boat ride to the hotel is refreshing. Our room was lake facing and had an amazing view of the lake. The service at the hotel was okay, nothing spectacular or worth remembering. There were many things that fell short of our expectation. The girl who was supposed to look after us, asked us on our arrival if we were celebration something special. We told her that it will be my b day on 28th. On my b day she didn't even remember that it was my b day. I didn't bother with her not even remembering but we asked for a cake to be set up in the evening for a small celebration. This cake was not there on our arrival and after asking twice did it arrive. The cake was nothing special and we didn't even bother to finish it. In fact it was the same sort of cake which they served us on our arrival. We had a dinner in our package which we choose to take on the last day of our stay. WE asked if it was possible for have the dinner in our room as our son is still young and keeps on running around. They said it was not possible and eventually we went to the restaurant, only to return because he and one other kid started playing and disturbing the guests. Then they said it was possible to have the dinner in the room. It was an unnecessary ordeal to go through. On last day the cleaning department didn't change our cups, neither did they empty the waster basket. With a 2 year, cleanliness is an issue for us. They didn't change the soaps everyday. There were these little little things that they should have looked into. The service failed to register an impression which we had hoped for, especially when staying with Taj. I must say that the service as Umaid Bhawan was spectacular. They spoiled us. And after that experience we consider that service as a threshold. And if any service falls short then for us its not good enough. On my b day, at Umaid Bhawan, we had a cake and champagne waiting for us with special compliments from the Manager, when we had just requested a cake. They really took care of everything which even we didn't think of. So Lake Palace needs to buckle up if it is looking for returning customers. It will take more than a shove and a push for us to go back there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Sparklelan
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The service was impeccable. The Indian food was delicious. The views were stunning. Each day the staff made designs using fresh flowers--some of them were about ten feet by ten feet--filled with variously colored flowers. Really really great if you are in India and tired and need a break.

Room Tip: I was lucky and got a free upgrade--ask for one!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Maxwell P
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel in Udaipur, India lives up to the high expectation of guests. It has been a few years since we stayed here but we have pleasant memories to this day.

The room rates are expensive but it certainly is worth staying here for even one night. One can only go to the hotel in a boat and just before one arrives there is a large statue submerged in water ( I never figured out the reason for the statue being there).

Great location, good rooms and very friendly staff.

Munir Daya

Room Tip: All rooms face the lake.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had wanted to visit the Taj Lake Palace Hotel for many years and as we were driven from the airport I had a moments thought that it may not be as good as I expected. I shouldn't have been concerned as our whole stay from start to finish was wonderful and exceeded our expectations. We didn't want to leave. From the moment you are greeted at the docking area and showered with flower petals when you arrive at the hotel you are treated with utmost curtesy and first class customer service.
We were shown around the hotel and then taken to our room which was lovely - we had a palace room with a lake view. All the rooms are individual,ours had birds painted on the walls, a separate bathroom with shower and bath, separate toilet and double sinks and then a dressing room. On the second day it was our 33rd wedding anniversary and on our return from our sight seeing our butler Rajendra and another member of staff came to our room and asked us to 'hide' for five minutes. When we came back into the room there was a beautifully laid out table with a large anniversary cake, flowers, a scarf for me and a turban for my husband. There was a fabric umbrella we put up and Rajendra took photographs of us in our finery as we cut the cake. Five minutes later one of the photographs was given to us in Taj Lake Palace picture frame - wonderful and thoughtful gift. Rajendra also emailed all the photographs to us.
Then we were upgraded to a suite which was fabulous - we could sit by the window looking out across the lake and watch the sun go down. Wonderful
There were three dressing robes each !!! Fruit, chocolates and every toiletry you could need in the huge bathroom.
Breakfast was wonderful with a great choice and boxes supplied if you wanted to take something with you to eat on the go.The Jaharokha restaurant is where you eat breakfast and we ate dinner there twice. A good choice of food but the setting - looking over the the lake is wonderful. Request a window table and the staff will accommodate you - worth waiting for if you cannot get one immediately.
We ate at the Nell Kamal - food was good but the setting cannot match the lake views The chef made my husband some small dishes of food to try as he couldn't decide which dishes to choose.
We were sad to leave - the best hotel ever - first class staff and service.
On our journey to Jodhpur I had an accident with a bottle of water and our frame and anniversary picture were water damaged. I emailed our wonderful butler Rajendra to see if we could purchase another and have it shipped to the UK. Rajendra replied that a member of staff from the Taj Lake Palace was going to Jodhpur that night and he would send another framed picture with him for us.
Words failed us at this customer service and care for guests. The hotel manager rang us to check we had received the frame.
I cannot thank Rajendra enough for his kindness and making our anniversary and holiday one we will never ever forget.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Recommend Palace Rooms with a Lake View - the suite we had was 133 and we would stay there again on...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple