“One of life's unforgettable treats”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 163 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I returned after a 10 year absence to this iconic hotel (yes, for once "iconic" is the mot juste) in May 2014. We had tried to do so 5 years ago but it was then booked up and the lake was empty. Now the lake has been restored. We were delighted to find the hotel exactly as we remembered it. Coming from the extraordinary and massive Umaid Bhawan at Jodhpur, this seemed at first a tiny jewel of a place, but soon we adjusted to its compactness and luxuriated in the beautiful decoration, views, superb service, wonderful food and the unique location which makes every arrival and departure an event. As always in Taj Hotels (in my experience) the staff provided a cosseting, efficient service, always seeming to do their job as if nothing mattered but one's comfort and enjoyment. We had let slip that we were celebrating a major anniversary and a beautiful cake was provided for us with a delightful edible painting on the top depicting us on a camel. A lovely touch. Altogether a memorable stay in a very special hotel. Everyone should allow themselves this treat at least once in their lifetime. Also, Udaipur is an excellent city for shopping!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michael B
There are newer reviews for Taj Lake Palace Udaipur

Reviewed 21 May 2014

A very friendly welcome and the driver of the boat took our photo as we motored to the palace. Again we were made welcome with a cold drink and after the paperwork was completed we were taken to our room. We had a view of the beautiful city palace especially in the late afternoon where it glowed in the setting sunlight. We went to both restaurants and staff (including the chef) went out of their way to make our experience most enjoyable. In the evening we enjoyed martinis in the bar which the staff made perfectly the way we asked for.
The hotel is very beautiful and we went on the evening tour of the areas with explanations given.
This is more than a 5 star hotel. We were surprised to be told that all of our meals and drinks were 'on the house' on our last day at the hotel.
We thoroughly enjoyed our short time there and hope we will be able to visit again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank nefer14
Reviewed 21 May 2014

An amazing experience in a secluded and very well retained palace. It does feel like you live in a real palace and its people ensure that everything is up to the highest standards. The hotel isn't very large but big enough with many areas where you can relax, enjoy a drink have a lovely meal. The fact that is inside the lake initially concerned me as I wasn't sure how easily and regularly I could reach the shore and explore the city; however this was not an issue at all as the boat ride is only 5 mins and there is always a boat waiting for you either outside the hotel or at the jetty. I cannot praise enough the staff. On a a downside I think we were given one of the smallest rooms but it was overlooking the lake. So I think it was either a larger room overlooking the gardens or a smaller one overlooking the lake. We did see both rooms to choose but later I realised that the room we took at the back side was one of the smallest ones. Unfortunately I dont remember the room number to share with the readers. The pool and the pool are not exceptional but adequate. I guess withing the grounds of the palace and there were only so much they can do with regards to the pool. Finally I found the breakfast kind of minimal, still enough to feel like you are having a healthy breakfast but compared to breakfast served at other Taj Hotels this was very limiting. Overall a very pleasant experience and I am glad I had the opportunity to live it.

Room Tip: There are a couple of small rooms at the back corners of the palace. You gain the lake view but you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank antinoosgr
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at this property to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, so naturally we wanted a really romantic place to celebrate our special day. I am happy to say that I couldn't have taken a better decision. From the moment we stepped into their jetty we were treated like royalties. If romance were to be structurally represented as a palace, it would take the shape of this hotel. Despite having gone during an off season, the experience has been nothing short of breathtaking. The palace lives up to its reputation of being the pleasure palace for the kings, views, room, entertainment, facilities and most importantly the staff are just fabulous. Service is very personal and intuitive. The restaurants are very impressive and clearly specialize in not only the local delicacies, but also international dishes. Their specialty restaurant is a must try for people wanting to sample some exquisite Rajasthani dishes. The palace offers some stunning sunset views and mesmerizing night visuals of the beautifully lit up forts and old structures on the banks of the lake. Its location is in close proximity to all the relevant tourist destinations of Udaipur. While best visited during the winters; personally I feel any season will be breathtaking in this palace hotel. It is a must stay for anyone looking for experiencing romance truly royal style.

Room Tip: Ask for lake facing rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pritampatnaik
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We went to Umaid Bhawan last year and decided to go to Lake Palace for my b day this year. The location is excellent and the boat ride to the hotel is refreshing. Our room was lake facing and had an amazing view of the lake. The service at the hotel was okay, nothing spectacular or worth remembering. There were many things that fell short of our expectation. The girl who was supposed to look after us, asked us on our arrival if we were celebration something special. We told her that it will be my b day on 28th. On my b day she didn't even remember that it was my b day. I didn't bother with her not even remembering but we asked for a cake to be set up in the evening for a small celebration. This cake was not there on our arrival and after asking twice did it arrive. The cake was nothing special and we didn't even bother to finish it. In fact it was the same sort of cake which they served us on our arrival. We had a dinner in our package which we choose to take on the last day of our stay. WE asked if it was possible for have the dinner in our room as our son is still young and keeps on running around. They said it was not possible and eventually we went to the restaurant, only to return because he and one other kid started playing and disturbing the guests. Then they said it was possible to have the dinner in the room. It was an unnecessary ordeal to go through. On last day the cleaning department didn't change our cups, neither did they empty the waster basket. With a 2 year, cleanliness is an issue for us. They didn't change the soaps everyday. There were these little little things that they should have looked into. The service failed to register an impression which we had hoped for, especially when staying with Taj. I must say that the service as Umaid Bhawan was spectacular. They spoiled us. And after that experience we consider that service as a threshold. And if any service falls short then for us its not good enough. On my b day, at Umaid Bhawan, we had a cake and champagne waiting for us with special compliments from the Manager, when we had just requested a cake. They really took care of everything which even we didn't think of. So Lake Palace needs to buckle up if it is looking for returning customers. It will take more than a shove and a push for us to go back there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Sparklelan
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The service was impeccable. The Indian food was delicious. The views were stunning. Each day the staff made designs using fresh flowers--some of them were about ten feet by ten feet--filled with variously colored flowers. Really really great if you are in India and tired and need a break.

Room Tip: I was lucky and got a free upgrade--ask for one!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Maxwell P
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel in Udaipur, India lives up to the high expectation of guests. It has been a few years since we stayed here but we have pleasant memories to this day.

The room rates are expensive but it certainly is worth staying here for even one night. One can only go to the hotel in a boat and just before one arrives there is a large statue submerged in water ( I never figured out the reason for the statue being there).

Great location, good rooms and very friendly staff.

Munir Daya

Room Tip: All rooms face the lake.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple