“A Little piece of heaven, with excellent service”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 161 Hotels in Udaipur
Lin, Manchester
“A Little piece of heaven, with excellent service”
Reviewed 29 March 2009

We chose this a an end to our tour of Northern India, instead of going on elsewhere, excellent decision. Should have booked longer. Everything about the hotel was first class, so romantic will go again

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
Reviewed 27 March 2009

I'm sure the Oberoi is great, but if you like authenticity, history and a little bit of mystery, this is the place for you. We enjoyed every second of our Lake Palace experience starting with the boat shuttle waiting area on the city palace grounds. You're treated like royal guests from the first moment. We set aside two days just to hang around the lake palace because we knew it would be a unique experience. The palace itself is amazingly beautiful and we enjoyed the free tour in the afternoon. We opted for a suite room and my wife and I really could have been happy lounging in the large bathroom for the afternoon. Instead we opted for the beautiful pool area with views of the city palace. We also splurged for a two hour couples massage and hot bath in rose petals service - wow, absolutely amazing! Room service breakfast required two guys to set up a formal dining table right in our suite and more servers to bring the toast, tea and omlettes. The only slight disappointment was the food at the restaurant which was very average and expensive, the french onion soup I ordered with my lamb burger was barely edible at lunch one day. Overall, this is one of the most memoral experiences we'll ever have and would recommend splurging for some extras!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 20 March 2009

I visited Udaipur during my first trip in India in 1992. From the shore, I looked out at the Maharana's summer palace in the middle of one of the city's three man-made lakes. Converted into a hotel, the gleaming white structure struck me as one of the most romantic places I had ever seen. I made it one of my goals in life to stay at the Taj Lake Palace Hotel before I died. I have now realized the goal, and the reality was every bit as fabulous as the long-standing dream. After arriving at the elegant "dock", one takes the 4-5 minute boat ride to the hotel. There we were met byan elegantly attired gentleman who accompanied my wife up the outside stairs toward the entryway, with a parasol over her head. As we walked into the hotel, we were showered with rose petals from the roof. Once in the lobby, an assistant manager informed us that we were being given a complimentary upgrade to one of the hotel's best rooms, the former Maharana's personal bedroom. We can only assume that the reason was the fact that occupancy at the Taj, like everywhere else in India, was quite low, the result primarily of cancellations due to the November tourist attacks in Mumbai, and likely the deteriorating economy as well. Suffice it to say that the bedroom was incredibly elegant - a huge room with enormous gold-edged mirrors on the wall, beautiful frescos on the nine ceiling panels, two chaises (not sure what to call them), and a sitting/lying area near the wall of windows, marble pillars in front of the area. The closet was an ample walk-in. Through a door near the exterior of the room, we entered our enormous balcony, overlooking the inner courtyard on one side and the lake on the other. The "balcony" (I don't know what you call something this large) had a swing for two and two chaise lounges, with a well-stock magazine rack between the chaises. (We shared the balcony with one other room, although we never saw the occupants of the other room. A major problem, never resolved during our stay, was that getting the door to open, and to stay open (i.e., not lock on us), was a real challenge.) The bathroom, while well-provisioned, was the smallest we experienced at the 5-star hotels in which we stayed while in India. The restaurants were excellent, with the "cafeteria" ( breakfast room) affording great views from any table. The breakfast buffet was outstanding, as we came to expect at all of our stops. The European restaurant, served on the roof, was a truly romantic setting, although we found the food there distinctly inferior to that we had enjoyed the night before in the Indian restaurant. The small pool area was very pleasant for lounging and looking at the scenic palace on the shore, and the fitness center - a single room with dumbells and 4-5 cardio machines - looked straight out to the pool area and beyond. The traditional dance in the evening before dinner was magical - two beautiful young ladies in very ornate costumes dancing to the music of 4 musicians. The dancers were beautiful, very talented, and, yes, downright sexy (even my wife felt that way). Our experience at the Taj was everything I could have hoped for, and more.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
dubai
Reviewed 17 March 2009

My boyfriend and I just spend 3 nights at the Lake Palace and so happy we chose it over the Oberoi. We spoke to some people staying at Oberoi who dined at the Lake Palace and said there was no comparison -- the Lake Palace was really an utterly unique experience -- being ferried back and forth across the water, rose petals, romantic jetties, brass swings in the suites... the list goes on and on.
We were graciously met at the railway station and then sent off in a similar manner at the airport. There was no detail too small to be looked after by the staff. We particularly recommend a young man named Rahul who was so much more than a concierge -- he'll sort out anything for you -- and his manners, fabulous.
The other peculiar thing - when booking they asked if we wanted a suite. I said no, but they gave us one anyway. When dining, they asked if we wanted starters. We said no, but they brought us some anyway. They asked if we wanted dessert. We said no, they brought us some anyway. They just couldn't hep themselves to make it probably the best hotel experience I've ever had.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank movemovemove
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed 9 February 2009

Fantastic hotel, worth the tariff! Most romantic spot you may ever see. In addition, food is great and the staff is unfailingly attentive. Wow, hope I can go back!!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank duckleader
NewYork, New York
Reviewed 1 February 2009

My husband and I just came back from a three-week trip to India. We travel extensively and stay in some of the most upscale hotels in the world. After Mumbai, our next stop was the Lake Palace in Udaipur. We had agonized about staying here or at the Udaivilas. We were THRILLED that we decided to spend four nights at the Lake Palace as I now know that we could never be happy anywhere else in Udaipur.

The hotel, a 250-year-old palace, seemingly floating in the middle of the lake (it reminded us of Venice a bit), is meticulously maintained. Built around a central courtyard with beautiful gardens and small ponds, at night the outside area is lit up with candles and lanterns.

We had booked a palace room but were upgraded to a grand royal suite. Budget permitting, I highly recommend taking a suite. Our room was enormous and beautifully decorated. Each night a different treat was left by our bed with a handwritten note. Often we came back to find flower petals spread in the shape of a heart or towels shaped into swans on our bed.

The service was seven star. When we arrived Sheetal, the concierge, discussed our touring objectives and an hour later all was arranged (including a car for the next morning). We were given a typed itinerary the next morning for our next four days. There is much that can be seen within a 2-hour drive from the Lake Palace. We used a driver from the hotel named Nandu who was very capable and nice (but not a talker which we didn't want) for two day-trips and to take us to the airport. We did not take a guide and did not feel we needed one.

We ate in all three restaurants at the hotel and the food was fabulous in all of them. The international cuisine restaurant is on the roof, the fancy Indian is in an inner courtyard, and the casual restaurant that serves both Indian and international (and is open 24 hours a day) faces the lake and is the original dining room used by the maharana. When my husband wanted a dish that was only served in the Indian restaurant when we were in the casual restaurant they were happy to bring the food anyway. We ate breakfast in our room which came promptly, warm, and beautifully prepared. By the way, I am pleased to report that they don't tack on ridiculous extra charges like hotels in America and in many other places.

The pool area was fabulous. We have never had this much attention at a pool in all our stays. Someone was always coming over with a complimentary beverage or snack, or towel. This was managed without any sense of intrusion. I had a combination exfoliation/message treatment at the spa (very reasonably priced) and I can honestly say that it was one of the best treatments I have ever had.

This hotel is truly one of a kind. It was hard to leave even for the day. We definitely plan to go back.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank YSTraveler
edinburgh
Reviewed 31 January 2009

I loved the whole romance of having to get to this hotel by boat! The service at the hotel is fabulous, the staff can not do enough for you. Our room was lovely with great views over the Lake. The lily pond is beautiful and they had set dinner up around it for New Years Eve. The pool area is a let down though, only 2 of the sunbeds actually get the sun, the rest are in the shade where it feels quite cool with the breeze off the water. This area definitely needs updated. We also tried Bhairo for dinner which was lovely, it is very romantic. Make sure you have something to keep you warm in the evenings as I found it very cool. There is a lovely outdoor area through one of the bars which is supposed to be for smokers but it is a great place to sit and soak up the sun rays whilst sipping a cocktail and then watching the amazing sunset!.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple