“Spectacular hotel, forget the gym or pool”

Taj Lake Palace Udaipur
Ranked #2 of 163 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 20 January 2011

As long as you are willing to forfeit the gym (two treadmills snugly fitted in a room) and the pool (a cold puddle), this hotel is magic. The service is a bit fussy in typical Indian style, but it works. The rooms are nothing short of spectacular. The first night we were given "baby" sized rooms (i believe 110 and 111) but for the remaining nights we were moved to wonderfully spacious and beautiful rooms. Also, afternoon tea is wonderful, as is the 5-6pm afternoon dance.
Udaipur itself is quietly magic (and stands in sharp contrast to the tourist ripoff extravaganza that is Jaipur). The Lake Palace fits right in. I m returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Zazzzu
There are newer reviews for Taj Lake Palace Udaipur

Reviewed 13 January 2011

Okay... I don't usually spend so much on a hotel room but I kept questioning myself: "How often do you get the chance to visit Udaipur? How often do you get the chance to stay on a very small island?? How often do you get the chance to stay at a palace???" After a quick analysis of my finances it didn't take me too long to decide to splash out on a room at the Taj Lake Palace.

We had just one night at the Palace (1 January 2011) and then a couple more nights at a cheaper hotel in Udaipur.

In all honesty we didn't really get to utilise all the facilities that we could/should have. We didn't use the antique car service… I really wanted to but we had our own driver drop us off. I didn't go to the yoga session… I really wanted to but the bed was too comfortable. I didn’t use the spa facilities… I really wanted to but the pool had me in its lap. I didn't do the organised tour of the hotel… I really wanted to but the view from the roof terrace had me in a trance.

We did do the lake cruise… which you need do only once. We did have lunch on the roof terrace… the food was good but it's the view that is so amazing and special. We did have dinner in Neel Kamal… the hotel's Indian restaurant and the food and service was just fantastic. We did have breakfast (included in the room rate)… the view from our breakfast table was outstanding and the food was great.

We did swim in the pool... in fact, we swam several times. These were my only swims during this trip to India... and it wouldn't have mattered if the pool was freezing as I was determined to enjoy the pool and that view. Happily, the pool is heated to a perfect temperature. I know I will remember the pool and that view until I am a very, very old man.

The Lake Palace is a truly great place to stay. Sure it's done up to within an inch of its 5 star rating... sure, there might be a little too much glamour for some... sure, it's expensive. James Bond fans (it was an Octopussy location) will probably love it; devotees of "shabby chic" will probably hate it. Travellers who want to take some time out to rest and recuperate in absolute luxury will love it; time-constrained travellers wanting to visit all the sights in and around Udaipur will probably not have time to enjoy all that the hotel has to offer.

If I had my time over (or if I ever go back) I would stay there two nights... just so I could really soak up the luxury. I must also mention the staff, who were always fantastic and very helpful (by way of example, I had been having loads of trouble cancelling some forward Delhi accommodation that I no longer needed… the Lake Palace staff took my problems away and sorted them all out for me).

Now about the cost factor... a friend once told me I shouldn't stress about spending more on certain things and that you should always dilute monetary concerns with the following question: "In 10 years time will you remember how much it cost?" 10 years??? It's 14 days since I stayed there and the bill has been paid, gone and is almost forgotten. There are no regrets.

I absolutely love Udaipur and I completely adore the Taj Lake Palace.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank GregDean
Reviewed 3 January 2011

A unique experience, end to end. Location, history, quality of service, kindness of staff. It will stay in my memory for years.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We stayed at the Taj Lake Palace during December 2010. Having read previous reviews and recommendations from friends and colleagues, we were expecting something special and were certainly not disappointed.
The setting is simple breathtaking and outwardly has to be one of the most beautiful hotels in the world.
From the moment you arrive at the boat launch, to the moment you leave you are made to feel like royalty adding a special feeling to a very special place.
A stay here has to be a must for any traveller passing through Udaipur.

Reviewed 18 December 2010

It remains the classic place to stay in Udaipur although it is in not exactly value for money and next time we will try the Leila Kempinski.

We had requested a renovated room but as the hotel was busy with a wedding and we checked in relatively late we were disappointed by the small room we were given. We did raise this with the staff and were moved to a suite in the heritage part of the building the next day. This made our stay extremely enjoyable and comfortable.

The staff was extremely friendly helpful and courteous. Dinner on the roof is spectacular or romantic whicever suits and the quality of the fod both the international and Indian cuisine was very high.

One problem I suspect all properties near the water have is that of pigeons. It particularly manifests itself at the pool. The hotel trying to keep them away but there are not just occassional dropings in the pool area.

A comment I will make to every property we stayed in India - I expect internet access at a 5* property to be included in the price.

1  Thank traveller9182
Reviewed 16 December 2010

There is a reason for this hotel being consistently rated so highly. From the rose petal shower welcome, the attentiveness of each and every employee and the ambience of this palace, everything is perfect.
We had a lovely lake view palace room with a bathroom to die for. I can't think of anything which was not thought of. Great housekeeping and great service.
Truly a royal experience.

Reviewed 15 December 2010

LP presents as a meringue topped wedding cake. A froth of white on the water. Wonderful entrance on a boat, our arrival showered with pink rose petals. It is a beautiful hotel. Reception rooms, and rooms not ridiculously over large and gaudy like European cousins; rather equisitely decorated. What the pool and perhaps bathroom lack in "size" is made up with the service. Attention to detail, considerate and discreet. Having just spent two weeks in India, exhausted from the chaos and color, LP was quiet and serene. Do try the Spa - absolutely FAB. Dancers at night extraordinary. Only "eeek" was the bed - matress just didn't do it for me and that was not without effort from the staff. Food marvellous - just don't expect to pay Indian prices. Special mention to the pool man, who showered us with attention.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends