“Beautiful location- staff retention and service need work”

The Oberoi Udaivilas
Ranked #3 of 157 Hotels in Udaipur
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful location- staff retention and service need work”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Great looking hotel, wonderful location, keep in mind that if you go for a suite with 'semi-private' pool then it really will be shared.

The suites with private pools are excellent.

Maintaining such a vast property seems to mean that details in serving meals and general standards are often a little chaotic, retaining confident staff who enjoy their roles also seems like a real issue.

In general it's a beautiful hotel and gym/spa with excellent space but the luxury feeling isn't met by service of the same standard.

Room Tip: If you don't mind sharing the 'semi-private pool' with many others- then those suites ar...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying and for sharing your experience with us.

Our resort is the reflection of the rich heritage of Mewar, designed with Mugal and Mewari architecture. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed these moments and have carried back cherished memories of your stay with us.

Our rooms with private pool is truly unique overlooking Lake Pichola and no doubt you loved it.
Thank you very much for your everlasting compliments, support and recommendation!!

Please contact me directly when you next intend to travel to Udaipur or to any Oberoi
destination, I would be delighted to have the chance of welcoming you once again.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 11 October 2013

It was quite an enchanting experience and a refreshing one too, away from a hustling city like Mumbai where life is so buzzing and work hours are too late a holiday @ Udaivilas was just apt and needed to refresh our souls. The ambience, not needing a specific mention, was ecstatic and the pool view room is the one where guests would like to opt for. Overall a soothing holiday and a one to be cherished for a very long time.

Room Tip: pool view rooms are a wise choice over garden view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time for sharing your experience with us . We are delighted to know that you liked our property so much and you appreciation of the ambience, which indeed makes The Oberoi Udaivilas so special.

Your wonderful feedback has been shared with the team at The Oberoi Udaivilās and they are extremely happy to discover that they were successful in making your stay enjoyable & memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back at The Oberoi Udaivilās sometime soon.

New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed 11 October 2013

One of the best Luxury Hotels in India. My family was treated was like Royals! Awesome property, Excellent Hospitality.... Beautifully maintained
I did not find a minor mistake in the entire property. Must stay property !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing on trip advisor and for sharing your wonderful review with us.

It gives me enormous happiness to share your feedback with the team at The Oberoi Udaivilās and they are elated to fathom that they were able to serve your with best hospitality.

I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Vadodara, India
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

I had come here to celebrate my wife's b'day and was a surprise for her. I did mention the same to the manager "Rashmi". Hear I got myself a surprise where I was upgraded to a suite with a swimming pool in it. I must not forget to tell you I got one of the BEST INFACT D BEST service and treatment.

A place I would recommend for everyone living on this planet.

The GM is just outstanding.

In short - "Heaven with 7 star luxury treatment"

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your magnificent experience with us on trip advisor and for choosing The Oberoi Udaivilas for your wife's birthday celebration.

I am extremely delighted to know that you have enjoyed each and every moment spend over here and had taken back lifetime memories. Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to showcase our property.

All of us at The Oberoi Udaivilas look forward to welcome you back and assure you exceptional experience on your next visit to Udaipur.

Singapore
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel is truly one of the best in the world. The settings are just stunning with huge gardens, flowers, birds. Everything is maintained to perfection. The entrance patio is a must see with manicured lawn, water-lily shaped marbles and charming flowers.
We stayed in rooms with a semi-private pool which was 50m long with stunning views of the lake, the Taj in the middle and the palace behind.
We were lucky to experience the first night of the diner terrace which is very airy and peaceful with a light music performance. The food and the service are delightful.
We had a private boat ride on the lake, which is a bit pricey compared to the regular one from the city but really worth it. We recommend to do it around 5 pm, the light of the sunset offers great scenery of the mountains around and of course the city palace.
It is definitely a place we will return in the future.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay at the hotel for a good part of the day, the rooms with semi-private polls are r...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such expressive review.

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and we all are glad that we were able to serve you with warm hospitality and perfectly. Your such words of appreciation encourage us to thrive the best.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Oberoi kingdom - on the bank of Lake Pichola, overlooking the many sights of Udaipur for more cherished memories.

Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This hotel is stunning. Although we had a semi-private pool, it was mizzling during our stay, so we did not have the opportunity to use it--still, the entire property was beautiful. We wandered around a fair bit, and I think it's a fair assessment to suggest there are no bad rooms there. Frankly, if I were the Maharani of Udaipur, I'd ditch the palace on the hill, pack my kit, and install myself in the Udaivilas--it is that beautiful. Our driver from Jaipur dropped us off at the boat dock, where the Oberoi had a boat waiting with a refreshing drink (reminded me of Argentinia maté)that I found loathsome but my husband loved. We were checked in after being ushered to the room, which was quite spacious. A lot of echo from the marble hallways, which are of an open-air design, but sleep was not disturbed. Bed was firm, pillows soft. Like the Rajvilas, the room had a bay window with a full windowseat roomy enough to get cozy and read a book or have a nap. Food was excellent--try the kathi roll with chicken for lunch; the omelette with brie and spinach sounded a bit ambitious to me but was also excellent. Bacon is available and was nicely cooked-I can't stand flaccid bacon, and this was nicely crisped. Bar food is nice too-we had salmon on pumpernickel bites and the indian selections including samosas. I mentioned, apparently in hearing of the staff, that I wished I'd brought a hair elastic to tie my hair back with and lo! One appeared that afternoon on the vanity. Rajvilas is still my favorite, because it seemed cozier, staff seemed less ?stressed? preoccupied? but this one is frankly marvelous in its own right. Our room looked out over Lake Pichoula and the Taj hotel, which we had considered but rejected in favor of Udaivilas. I was glad we did--the Taj lake palace is unprepossessing in aspect, looks oddly like a large white riverboat, and lacks the spacious elegant planned gardens, terraces, and fountains that make Udaivilas so very lovely.

Room Tip: I really don't think you can get a bad room. The semi-private pools are only semi-private, mind...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review.

I am happy to read that we have exceeded your expectations and were able to add some everlasting imperial memories. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us.

Your positive comments such as are appreciated and they motivates us in achieving even higher standards of excellence.

It was a pleasure spending time with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to organize any Oberoi trip.

Adelaide
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is an expensive place for people who have great taste and have arrived so much that a few thousand dollars don't matter. The location and architecture are breathtaking. Go for lake view rooms, they open up into a pool with lake in front.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing you experience with us.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I am happy to know that you have enjoyed the accommodation, hospitality and beautiful surroundings at The Oberoi Udaivilas

Thank you so much for your everlasting compliments.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Oberoi Udaivilas on the banks of Lake Pichola.