“we feel like king of the world”

The Oberoi Udaivilas
Ranked #3 of 175 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have stayed there for my birthday. on arrival had a nice cake ready with decoration in the room. The hospitality of staff is so good I don't have words to describe. I just can sum up in one word "EXCELLENT" in each areas. they will soak you in their hospitality and you will be rejuvenated when arrive back.

Room Tip: go for rooms with personal swimming pool
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your magnificent experience with us on trip advisor and for choosing The Oberoi Udaivilas for your birthday celebration.

I am extremely delighted to know that you have enjoyed each and every moment spend over here and had taken back lifetime memories. Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to showcase our property.

All of us at The Oberoi Udaivilas look forward to welcome you back and assure you exceptional experience on your next visit to Udaipur.

Best regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,001)

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed at the Udaivillas for 2 nights with family as part of a tour through northern India. The hotel is a little hard to find but is absolutely beautiful. Entry is through a courtyard with a marble pool/fountain that can be walked on (careful, the marble can be slippery). Before entering the lobby, we had rose petals showered on our heads.

Check in was a breeze, Vikas, the manager was very kind and helpful. the rooms are large and comfortable with plenty of room to stretch out. The property itself is a lot of fun to explore with large green spaces and a small nature preserve with great views of the lake.

The pool area is a little small and the water a wee bit chilly, about the only issue with the property. The restaurants were great and service was extraordinary. Payal sought us out at every meal and made absolutely sure that our 5 year old was completely happy. Dining was fun and the al fresco views were great and made warm with plenty of heaters.

There were a number of great children's activities because of the holidays and we were able to watch a puppet show and take elephant/camel rides which were a real treat.

Worst part of the hotel was check out…because we had to leave. Staying here was like staying at one of the royal palaces. We've stayed at the Lake Palace previously…while that location and experience is absolutely unparalleled and worth every rupee, this hotel is a better overall hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing on trip advisor and for sharing your wonderful review with us.

It gives me enormous happiness to share your feedback with the team at The Oberoi Udaivilās and they are elated to fathom that they were able to serve your with best hospitality.

I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed in the Oberoi Udaivilas for 3 nights and it was heavenly. This is a beautiful hotel --it's fairly new and in my opinion was the best hotel of our trip. The craftmanship of the building is stunning and the service of the staff was truly excellent (how do they ALL remember your name??). It wasn't the room that made it, although it was tastefully done. It was the whole ambience of the place.. you are next to the Lake with large lawns, pools, peacocks and purple flowers. We felt very relaxed and I even got my partner to visit the Spa for a massage which is very rare... I am sure this hotel is regularly booked out for weddings and very busy but it was quiet when we went and that's what we wanted.
I was delirious when the laundry staff managed to get rid of oil stains on a new shirt --they were so pleased they brought the guy who'd done it along to our room presumably for him to hear me voice my genuine delight.
A few points though.. I really don't think any hotel whatever the cost of the room should be charging for wifi these days. Having wifi is like having running water for most people these days , it's a necessity and should be included in the room rate instead of messing about with rates of pay for hours of use. Also (and this is really picky..) it was pretty cold at night and the robes were of thin cotton.. warmer ones please.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time for sharing your experience with us . We are delighted to know that you liked our property so much and you appreciation of the architecture which indeed makes The Oberoi Udaivilas so special.

Your wonderful feedback has been shared with the team at The Oberoi Udaivilās and they are extremely happy to discover that they were successful in making your stay enjoyable & memorable.

I have noted your suggestion in regards to WIFI and bathrobes. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we will certainly review it.

We look forward to welcoming you back at The Oberoi Udaivilās sometime soon.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This isn't a cheap hotel, you are paying for a high quality of property and customer service. We stayed in room 205 which had access to one of the pools via a private courtyard as well as a nice terrace area. The terrace had an outdoor setting which overlooked the pool and surrounding garden.

The room was an excellent size, with a bay window, and roomy sitting area that included a 2 person sofa and a single armchair. The room also had a writing desk next to the large bed. No issues with noise at all for the 2 nights we stayed.

The bathroom was wonderful with a separate 'dry vanity' table with mirror (which meant I could do my make up while hubby shaved without being in each other's way), a claw foot bath, nice sized glass shower and a separate toilet room. The large wardrobe topped it off.

The outside dinning area was beautiful and had a view of the lake and other lakeside properties. We were here in November and it was a little cool in the evening, but still pleasant for dinner if you dressed appropriately.

No complaints about the staff, they could not do enough for us over dinner.

Breakfast was great, you can order breakfast dishes off the menu, as well as visit the buffet. The French Toast was great, and we still talk about it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dinks93

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and for choosing the Oberoi Udaivilas for your holidays.

I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed the property and beautiful surroundings. Thank you for your generous praise about the team members. I am blessed to be working with these incredible ladies and gentlemen who do everything in their capacity to ensure that all our guests only leave with exceptional guest experiences.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Fabulous physical setting, obviously friendly staff, but LOOK OUT FOR THE FOOD! It is so disappointing to pay $600 a night and find yourself in a truly lousy Indian restaurant with dishwater soup claiming to be tomato, and a frantic, bizarre, rice biryani with a terrible mix of spices, ungoverned by thought or experience. I mean UNCONDITIONALLY TERRIBLE FOOD.

We have dined in great destination restaurants in India, including Bukhara in Delhi and Cinnamon in Jaipur. We like good Indian food and enjoyed it in many hotels during our five weeks in India, but NOT HERE! I do not normally write critical or negative reviews, preferring to accept what comes my way. But for a top-rated, luxury hotel, the Oberoi management needs to hear this : WHERE IS YOUR FOCUS ON FOOD QUALITY AND DINING at your hotels? I would have accepted mediocre dishes, but this was way below anything since the cold buffet in sleepy Khajuraho village in the middle of nowhere. I am writing to warn folks that as of December 2013, there is NO QUALITY CONTROL on the kitchen antics at the Oberoi Udaivilas. If you want a hotel where the food matches the physical plant, visit a Taj property instead. We paid $100 for dinner and wish we had not even stopped by. The miserable dining experience lowers the overall rating for this grand hotel to poor, from otherwise splendid. DO NOT EAT HERE !

Room Tip: Garden rooms have a private outdoor sitting area, very nice.
3  Thank Cal_Izard
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and to get an opportunity to take feedback from you on quality of food at The Oberoi Udaivilas.

I am disappointed that despite my detailed conversation and personal involvement, I could not deliver a culinary experience that matched your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies.

At Oberoi Hotels, maintaining authenticity of Indian food is of prime importance. We follow traditional recipes to give our guests a meaningful experience away from high street outlets. I was under the impression that post our discussion I was able to offer you regional dishes just as you would have preferred - in the authentic style. It seems the our efforts fell short and we were not able to please you. I will personally review recipes of the dishes you had selected to identify any scope of improvement.

I was looking forward to personally cook for you the day after our meeting but sadly that could not happen as you had other plans.

Thank you so much for your appreciation of the hotel and the services. Please treat your experience with the food as a one off incident and not a representation of our usual standards.

Entire team at The Oberoi Udaivilas looks forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Udaipur.

Best regards,

Vikas Vichare
Executive Chef

Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

It's a beautiful and large property and Oberoi's hospitality is always special. But during my stay faced tough time with hot water. Due to maintenance hotel informed that between 12am to 5pm hot water will not be available in washrooms. Had to leave for Jaipur at 9 and hence tried using hot water at 7am but the same was muddy and the housekeeping kept in telling that it's being resolved and will take another 10 mins. The height was when ultimately at 845 when I asked for buckets of hot water it took them half an hr to arrange and there again they kept on saying that the person is on his way. This is something which no one expects from a property like Udaivilas. Ultimately I had to take shower with cold water as I was getting late. As per this experience I would say their housekeeping department sucks.

Stayed: December 2013
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Guest

I am writing to you regarding your recent visit to Udaivilas and to The Oberoi Udaivilas. I take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and hope you are enjoying the festive season.

On behalf of the team, I thank you for sparing your valuable time to share your feedback regarding the shortfalls in Housekeeping service and the experience during your stay with respect to non availability of hot water supply in the guestroom.

We are extremely repentant for the inconvenience caused to you due an unforeseen hot water shutdown in our Plant room for which we advised all our guests the night prior in addition. Please trust in the substantiation that we have tried our level best to resolve the repairs and shut down as soon as possible as we would have prized to see none of our guests get discomforted due to the shutdown.
Please accept our sincerest and unconditional apologies for the inconvenience you were caused.

We trust you would agree that this circumstance was unforeseen and we agree we could have enhanced this deficit in service.

We value your patronage and sincerely request you to treat this incident in isolation and not let it mar your overall impression of our hotel services and product.

My team and I very much look forward to welcome you back to Udaipur and Udaivilas.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife and I spend a couple of nights at the Udaivilas in early December. We were there to celebrate her birthday. The property is huge, spread over 50 acres, and offers beautiful views of the Pichola lake. The rooms are spacious and service is very good. It has all the ingredients that make the Oberoi not just the best hotel chain in India but also one of the finest in the world. A special mention to the head chef Akash Singh. Not only did he take personal care to make sure all our meals were perfect, he also shared the recipies of the dishes we liked and gave my wife a special class of these dishes in his kitchen. On the whole a great experience and I would truly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a romantic holiday.

Room Tip: Book a room with a view of the lake. The views are incredible.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi Udaivilas on this special occasion and for sharing your wonderful feedback.

Udaivilas is build on the hunting lounge of Maharana. I am glad to know that you have loved the property and have thoroughly enjoyed your time with us.

It gives me immense pleasure to share your unsurpassed words of appreciation with the team members. Each and every employee at the Oberoi hotels and resorts strive hard to succeed in delighting the guest. Thank you for recognizing Chef Akash for his personal attention. Our Chef aims to satisfy every palate with the very best of International and Indian Cuisine.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in our properties worldwide, in the near future.

Should I be of any help to facilitate any of your reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.