“Worth a splurge”

Ranked #3 of 161 Hotels in Udaipur
Streatley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Worth a splurge”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We first visited Udaipur in 2007 when we were with friends on a budget and stayed in the town. We always promised ourselves we would come back and stay at the Oberoi. It has been worth the wait. We took a room with a semi private pool. For the first two days this was our own private pool as other guests fronting on to the pool were out visiting. The water was quite cold - 23C - but really refreshing. I swam two or three times a day.

We had a view over the lake towards the palace - absolutely fantastic.

The spa was very good - my wife and I both had a massage which was great.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a semi private pool overlooking the lake with a view of the palace, but avoid the...
1 Thank John W
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for such a inspiring review. We are honoured to have a esteemed guest like you. Thank you very much for your kind affection and commitment.

It gives me enormous happiness to share your feedback with the team at The Oberoi Udaivilās and they are elated to fathom that they were able to serve your with best hospitality.

I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Warm regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 20 February 2014

There is no other hotel in the world that meets the beauty and charm of the Oberoi Udaivilas. I have no words to describe this amazing property. One has to experience it personally to understand the true meaning of the word Service and Hospitality.

The team at the Udaivilas is amazing. They go to such heights to provide the impeccable service, that no other hotel staff can do. Special thanks to Mr. Vincent, Mr Deepak and our butler Mr. Mahi. They made our stay one of the most memorable stays ever.

It was my 2nd visit to the hotel and it is commendable to learn that the restaurant staff even knows what we had ordered during our last stay and what new they could offer us this time. The level of personalisation in service they can offer is simply unmatchable.

The staff greets you by Name, its so good to know that we are not just a room no. for them.The goal of the team is to provide the best service they can offer. You will never hear the word "NO" in the hotel.

To our luck, we were staying at the Kohinoor Suite, the largest and the most luxurious suite at the Udaivilas. Again a special thanks to Mr. Deepak for that. And as a perks of staying in the suite we were offered a butler service. Mr. Mahi, our butler was the man who made us feel like royals. I must say he is an amazing bartender also.

As always the food at the Udaivilas is one of the best food we have had, and specially their Indian Preparations are amazing. The Lamb Biryani is to die for. But we did miss Chef Roopak.

I didn't write much about the room because staying in the Kohinoor Suite itself is an experience, and one has to personally experience it, to understand the level of hard work and detailing that goes into creating such a masterpiece.

The hotel and its team has pampered us so much that now we can not stay with any other hotel. You have turned us to become loyal to the Oberoi Group.

Will come back soon, as we can not settle for less now.

I have shared my experience on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm5l80UAtfY

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to look after you once again.

It was a pleasure to welcome you back and I am glad to know that this time we served you with perfection and were able to regain your confidence in our services.

Thank you for sharing your unsurpassed review on trip advisor. Your words of appreciation are endless and gives me immense pleasure to share it with the team members. They are thrilled with your compliments.

The team at The Oberoi are known for their personalized and commendable service. Thank you for recognizing their hard work so well.

We all look forward to your continued visits and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any help with any of you travels.

Best regards
Shropshire
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We have just returned from India, we stayed at the Oberoi, Udaipur, it is heaven on earth!
From the smiling welcome we were cosseted and cared for by everyone we met. Our room was beautiful, comfortable with everything you could wish for. We wished we could have stayed longer. The hotel complex is situated on the lake edge with lovely gardens and views across to palaces. We dined outside, the service was excellent and food wonderful. I envy anyone who is going to stay there in the future. It was perfect.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and for choosing the Oberoi Udaivilas for your holidays.

Our resort is designed as a traditional palace with decorative fountains and pavilions. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed the property and beautiful surroundings.

All of us at The Oberoi Udaivilas look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the city of lakes.

montreal
Reviewed 18 February 2014

There are no words to describe the supreme beauty of this hotel. Every detail of design is impeccably selected. The service is beyond imagination. It is totally present without being invasive. The staff here seem to genuinely want to please. And, I love the tipping policy. In a country where every person has a handout, there is no personal tipping. You leave what you want to at the end of yours stay and everyone gets their share based on years of seniority. This creates loyalty and genuine niceness to the guests, the restaurants were both excellent. Also, we had our own pool and butler and of you can ever treat yourself to this great luxury, go for it!

Room Tip: Take a private pool and stay an extra day just to enjoy the hotel
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and thank you for sharing your wonderful review.

I am glad to know that you had an overall good stay and were satisfied with most of the hotel services and facilities.

Thank you very much for your everlasting compliments, support and recommendation!!

Should I be of any help to facilitate any of your reservations, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel is simply lovely. I traveled here with my best friend and we enjoyed the understated elegance of the atmosphere and the personalized service. (We took advantage of a stay three nights, pay for two promotion.) Hotel transfers were smooth and comfortable and the welcoming boat ride across the lake a lovely touch.

Our room was decorated with all my favorite colors and was comfortable. The soaking tub was amazing and our courtyard/area was a nice spot to while away some hours.

The hotel has peacocks that roam around, which is very cool and a gamekeeper who has been on property since long before I was born. We were lucky enough to meet and talk with him and attend his feeding of the wild boar in the game reserve (yes, they're securely separated from the guests.)

The hotel provided us with a car and driver and guide (at extra cost, FYI) and we saw much of the surrounding area, which we very much appreciated. Our travel team was excellent. I recommend you watch "Octopussy" before you go, as it will give you a broad view of the area that then you can explore in person.

The food was very good as well. We ate all meals on property and that was enjoyable. I felt we had a lot of choices. My South Indian breakfast sampler was super good and like nothing on the Western menu. I'm glad I tried it, though my friend was skeptical of my choice. We spent some time in the bar as well, which had some fun drinks and really good snacks. They were trying out a new appetizer menu, so we were provided some snacks free of charge. :-)

I got a foot massage in the spa, very relaxing, and as it was off-season, also discounted. Two thumbs up for that.

Two things to note: We visited off-season at a discount. Off-season is when they do upgrades and repainting on the property, so anything in my pictures that may look less than 5-star is related to that and should not be held against the property. Also, all rooms have exterior entrances so you'll see bugs around the hallways (I saw none IN the room). It's India & we visited in the rainy season, so don't think you're going to avoid these natural annoyances.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for remembering us and for sharing your magnificent experience with us on trip advisor

I am extremely delighted to know that you have enjoyed each and every moment spend over here and had taken back lifetime memories. Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to showcase our property.

All of us at The Oberoi Udaivilas look forward to welcome you back and assure you exceptional experience on your next visit to Udaipur.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

What a lovely hotel! Set right on the lake with a warm and welcoming staff, we had a magical time here. Our suite had a swimming pool and our breakfast outside in the morning was spectacular both for the food and the view. It was our first wedding anniversary, and the staff went out of tuts way to help us celebrate!

Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi Udaivilas for your anniversary celebration. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us.

I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed the services and loved the property so much. Your words of high regard are exceptional.

We hope to have a chance of welcoming you back with your family and friends and to look after you once again.

Rhodes, Greece
Reviewed 13 February 2014

During our tour in Rajasthan we have stayed in many Oberoi hotels . This one was the best. The resort is lying by the lake and immediately gives you a sense of piece . Rooms are spacious , gardens are huge and very well kept and the Spa very good although it was a little bit difficult to make a reservation. But the atmosphere of this hotel especially at night with the lights on is awesome . Stuff is very polite and makes you feel comfortable all the time .

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi Hotels and Resorts for your trip to Rajasthan.

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay. The hotel is build on a hunting lounge of Maharana, on the banks of lake Pichola. It showcase the traditional culture of Mugal and Mewar. Your comments with respect to grounds, food and services are highly valued. Thank you very much once again.