“What a pool!”

Ranked #3 of 161 Hotels in Udaipur
Amarillo, Texas
“What a pool!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great romantic boat ride at sunset with incredible views of the Palace and city. Nice cultural show with dinner. The grounds are peaceful with great lake views. The Spa is lovely and the gym equipment is great!

Room Tip: Ask for private pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hogwithacamera
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking out the time to share your experience with us.

We are delighted to have you stay with us and happy to know that you have enjoyed the overall services, accommodation and surroundings. Your words of high regards are exceptional.

We hope to have a chance of welcoming you back with your family and friends and to look after you once again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was our second stay in Udaivillas and it was every bit as lovely as the first. The staff is extremely professional, but also very friendly. The grounds are absolutely stunning and the rooms are faultless. Beautifully decorated, they are still as lovely as they were on our first visit about 8 years ago.

I recommend requesting one of the rooms facing the lake. all, except a few, have a semi-private pool and terrace. The rooms facing the lake have the advantage of not being visible from the larger pool area and main buildings. As a result, one feels quite secluded. Absolutely breathtaking.

We enjoyed a private yoga lesson and a massage in duo in one of the rooms reserved for the spa. It was all great.

For dinner on the outside terrace down by the waterfront, it is first come first serve for the best tables, so I recommend getting there early. It's absolutely worth it, with a view of the city palace and live music and traditional dancers at night.

Very expensive, but an absolutely enchanting experience that is worth every penny.

Udaipur is also well-known for its jewelry shops where you can buy amazing jewelry for so much less than in Europe. The hotel is great about guiding you to the right shops.

Room Tip: As I said earlier, ask for a lake view. I've also heard that the suites are not necessarily wort...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to look after you once again.

It was a pleasure to welcome you back and I am glad to know that this time we served you with perfection and were able to regain your confidence in our services.

Thank you for sharing your unsurpassed review on trip advisor. Your words of appreciation are endless and gives me immense pleasure to share it with the team members. They are thrilled with your compliments.

Its beyond doubt and honestly the marvelous words of appreciation have been extended by you. Thank you very much for the beautiful review.
We all are extremely delighted to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed our accommodation, surroundings, food, personalized services and had a memorable stay.

We look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

It has been in the top of the best hotels in the world for a very good reason. Beautiful, elegant, quiet, exotic, a piece of art in itself. The food and the atmosphere in the restaurant excellent. The staff correct, helpful, knowledgable and excellent manners

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank TeresaTFG
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking out the time for sharing your experience with us ..

Your positive and valuable appreciation of our performance inspires us to continue achieving even higher standards of service excellence, serving you and your family with lifetime experiences.

We are happy to know that you have enjoyed the tranquil surroundings, accommodation, overlooking view of lake Pichola and the services extended. Our resort is the reflection of the rich heritage of Mewar, designed with Mugal and Mewari architecture. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed these moments and had taken back unforgettable memories.

We look forward to welcoming you back at The Oberoi Udaivilās sometime soon.
Singapore
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I clearly remembered reaching the property late at night. After a long day of traveling and a bewildering train ride, we reached the property so late it was so dark. Honestly, I was emotionally fraught after encountering a child beggar at the train station. My eyes were sore from the furtive crying. I was really tired.
The staff had lit the fire torches outside and the majestic doorman were at hand to greet us and so were the many staff.
I was in a rotten mood and made my way quickly to the reception hoping to get an early night.
As I was one of the first few guests walking into the property, I suddenly noticed rose petals falling onto me and it caught me by surprise.
I looked up and there was a staff up there dropping and showering us with rose petals. It was pretty magical and I felt not so crummy anymore.
It is such a lovely touch that I remember it still.
Things I love:
1) The rose petal welcome shower
2) The plush plush bed in the rooms
3) Beautiful beautiful property with lots of nooks and crannies for you to take pictures. After all the Oberoi properties I stayed, this property is one that I took the most pictures of...from the numerous lighted candles at night, to the painting on the winding staircase, etc etc.
4) Food was marvelous. Wait staff were dying to please. We had dinner and my fellow traveler wasn't able to decide what dessert she preferred and she was served the two desserts she had contemplated. I mean, seriously!? We went to bed really full and happy! The attention to detail and eagerness to please is just out of this world.
5) It was cold at night (winter) but the torches they litted up made alfresco dining very enjoyable and warm!
6) Big property to explore and take pictures...very beautiful symmetrical "Indian" (or was it Mughal) gardens
7) Big bathroom...big bedroom...what more can you ask for?
8) An outdoor balcony to enjoy the Indian gardens. Lovely!

Things which I noted:
1) They had two swim pools. I only managed to swim in the Art Deco one which was ok. Heated pool but not heated evenly. The other pool which pictures of it can found on all their advertising...the pool wasn't very clean? I could see a layer of dust/insect debris (?!) when the sun was setting and reflecting off the water. As a swimmer, not very comforting to see!
2) One of the Canadians in my group was snapping at the lead wait staff. Because the wait staff insisted on knowing what can be done better. The Candian was quite mad because she had said everything was ok but the wait staff insisted something can be improved. I think the wait staff must learn how to accept compliments when given instead of digging for complaints?!

But I can see why it is rated as No 1 hotel in the world in 2011 and 2012 (I think).

Room Tip: Big property...ask for a room nearest to dining and reception areas if you cannot walk well.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vincent G, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi Udaivilas, for your stay at Udaipur.

Your compliments about the team and product are the mark of respect and they made all of us to feel proud of being a part of Oberoi and they encourages us to always present our finest services.

We look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits.

Regards:
Noida, India
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed in Oberoi Udaivilas from 21st September-25th Septmber 2013. Our Long awaited holidays converted into night mare.Worst Stay ever, So Many Confusions...& Hotel was not able to handle it. Management was really helpless even matter was escalated to Mr. Vikram Oberoi but nothing happened.GM Mr. Vincent was not having any answer as all experiences were beyond his control.

There was communication gap in between all HODs & Staff due to that we couldn't sleep well for 3 nights. Several examples I am putting here.

1.)Roopal-Front Office Manager called us on 18th September to get Family details, Kids preferences etc. but nowhere it was updated. Very First day, Extra Beds were not provided for Kids in any of room. After reaching to hotel, we talked with Roopal & she said whenever we will go for Dinner during that time Evening turndown services will be provided & extra beds will be placed. But when we came back from Dinner, no evening turndown services were provided. Rooms were dirty, no food clearance happened & no extra beds were placed. Then we started communication with her. She apologised & communication was ongoing with her till 01:20 am. Several SMS were exchanged with her in midnight. She accepted despite of instructions to all HODs still this mistake happened. We shifted one child to other room so that we can sleep with one child on King bed but Other Family shared same bed with two kids. It was really inconvenient for us.

2.)Chair Leg was broken in Room No. 303, Next Morning we found when my daughter(2 years old) was sitting on that & she fell down from chair. It means there was no physical check in room before allocation of room.

3.)Other Family's daughter is allergic to Wheat & Milk Products. This was intimated to Roopal on 18th September, communication happened with Exceutive Chef Vikas & Ashish on 21st September on arrival. But still when other family requested for Poha on 22nd September for child they did mistake & added items in Poha to which she was allergic. Later they apologised, accepted their mistake, prepared new one. Most Important thing there was communication gap. Butler said he intimated Chef & Chef said Butler didn't inform them.

4.)On 23rd September, All Family Members were in Room No. 405. When we visited our room at sudden, we found 8-10 peoples were in our room & repairing our AC as it was burnt. Housekeeping observed this problem & intimated Engineering Team. After that burning smell was there & it was really tough for us to stay in room. Them Mr. Deepak-Housekeeping Manager brought Ozonizer in room but still burning smell was there.When we went for Dinner they bye passed the heating element & said no problem will happen.

But we entered in Room at 1230 am & couldn't sleep.Finally we switched off the AC, switched ON Fan in Bed Room & also we kept AC On in living room.

Next Morning(24th September), we called Mr. Deepak to room & informed about the same.He said he will inform Engineering Team & will check ducts properly. As he assured us so we didn't inform anyone else at front desk. When we came back after sight seeing & Dinner on 24th, we switched on AC immediately & found burning smell. Immediately, we called Housekeeping...Technical Team visited at 1130 pm & observed it was burnt as heating element was not bye passed properly on 23rd. Then they disconnected all power cables.It took 1 hr. 30 minutes to fix the problem & it was fixed by 1a.m...But still Burning smell was there through out night as it was overheated & burnt again. We informed Roopal & Mr. Vincent in midnight & communication was ongoing till 1a.m. Finally Mr. Deepak came to room & arranged spray in room. But still smell was there. Hope you will understand how much difficulty we would have faced when Engineering Team was fixing the problem till 1a.m. & after that so much smell was there.

We were offered other room by Payal at 1230am but it was really difficult for us to move to other room when my younger daughter was sleeping, We sent our kids to grand parents room at 1230 am atleast they could sleep there in non smelling environment. Even by that time Grand Parents were sleeping, they got disturbed at that time. Payal ringed bell many times but door was not opened as they were sleeping, Ultimately she arranged Phone Call from Reception to them to open the door.

My only concern was this problem was not deducted at sudden.It was deducted on 23rd September but still no permanent solution was given.Why preventive action was not taken on 23rd September? This was repetitive problem due to that we couldn't sleep for other 2 nights.

5.)On 25th September, we checked out..3 Cars were arranged along with One CRV for Luggage...Again communication gap & negligence..Luggage was loaded for 2 rooms in CRV & for 3rd room it was not loaded. It was left in lobby. When we reached near to Airport, Rahil-Butler got call that Luggage left in Hotel & now they are sending in 5th Car...so much instances happened. I still remember we checked with Rahil after seating in Car whether all Luggages are uploaded. He said Yes, it has been done.But it was not done. Fortunately, We had some buffer time. But due to this negligence, we could miss our flight.

6.)On 23rd Rahil visited Room No. 405 & said Our Dinner has been arranged on SPA pool & our cocktails/drinks are added in package for our anniversary celebration. He asked all Gentleman & Ladies about their Cocktail preference..but after 15 minutes he called on phone & said as usual apology....Drinks are not included. He made mistake. We informed Roopal about the same, Roopal said Rahil did mistake but she will add in our package..Ultimately we denied to take complementary drinks & took our own. We didn't want to penalize butler for wrong communication. But Butler said he was very much informed by Roopal for Cocktails in our part of package.

Overall stay was worst experience. Stay was not worth a penny. After that we brought all points to Mr. Oberoi notice but still no action was taken.

This should not be awarded as best hotel in world where there is no mean of hospitality & courtsey. So much MisManagement from Top to Bottom.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
22 Thank kumars300
Vincent G, Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear guest

We thank you for your feedback and acknowledge your stay at The Oberoi Udaivilas last year.
We recall your comments and our many conversations with regards to your stay. Also we acknowledge the subsequent mail of appreciation towards the senior management for the personalized attention extended by each of the team members at The Oberoi Udaivilas.
The Oberoi Udaivilas Team joins me in remembering all the special experiences extended to you and your family.
We wish you continuous safe travels,
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were at Udaivilas for 2 nights recently with the family. The entire premises are absolutely perfect - worthy of a Oberoi Tag. The lawns are incredible and the rooms are simply breathtaking. It would be hard to imagine a more classy place than this. The service is immaculate in all respects. The facilities are also amazing - including the Gym.

They do talk about a reserve and feeding times to Animals twice a day etc. My kids were anticipating something fairly good - That was a bit of a let down - at the appointed time, they left us in a area where there were a couple of peacocks.

What was a bit bewildering was the restaurants & food - they only have 2 restaurants adjacent to each other with fairly similar decors & what seems like a common kitchen. There is NO outdoor seating (which seems really strange considering that they are on Lake Pichola). There is no provision of any sort to serve tea etc outside as well. The breakfast buffet spread was not deserving of a Oberoi Hotel either with trademark touches in other Oberoi hotels completely missing. The family & I fled out of the hotel a couple of times to eat in the other brilliant places outside (one is right outside the Hotel called Kebabri). Incidentally, the hotel lacks a 24 hr Cafe which struck me a bit strange - we had stepped down at 1830 and the only place to sit along with the kids was the bar.

All in all - awesome service, picture perfect setup - lot of work required on the restaurants and the food - the hotel will do well to introduce outdoor seating and more innovation on the menus.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing the wonderful review.

It was our pleasure to have you stay with. I am delighted to know that you had spend a cheerful time with us and have been looked after so well.

The Oberoi Udaivilas is ideally situated on the shores of lake Pichola overlooking the city palace and the old city. With large gardens and multiple swimming pools the Oberoi Udaivilas is a destination in itself.

We do look forward to welcoming you back at some stage for longer days in our properties worldwide.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should I be able to help with any of you travels.

Regards:
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at The Oberoi Udaivilas about a year ago .I think is was one of the most memorable vacations we had .Services are great ,people are extremely pleasant .I would comment on a very limited selection of beverages available at the hotel .Rest the real highlight of the stay was just the employees at The Oberoi Udaivial .They made you feel like royalty .
We generally like to explore new places each time .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time to share your experience with us.