“Possibly the best hotel in the world” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oberoi Udaivilas

The Oberoi Udaivilas
Ranked #3 of 151 Hotels in Udaipur
London
“Possibly the best hotel in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2009

I havent stayed in every one of the great hotels in the world, but I have stayed in enough to know how to spot the good from the bad and the great from the good. The Udaivilas was outstanding and is now right at the top of my list.

We were fortunate enough to get a very good price on one of their incredible suites and the hotel was less than half full. I am sure that these worked in our favour but regardless, our stay was brilliant. The staff, the setting, the food, the spa, everything was a level of perfection I have never experienced before. Absolutely faultless.

We went to the Amarvilas in Agra after which was great, but not this great. I can not recommend this place highly enough. Mr vanDulleman is doing a very, very good job.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Don_J_London
Vincent G, Guest Relations Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this review, 14 December 2012

Thank you so much for your generous feedback.

It’s a pleasure to know that you had a pleasant and delightful stay with us. Your appreciation has been shared with the team and it cheers up our spirits to do best day by day.

Once again on behalf of entire team at The Oberoi Udaivilas, we thank you for choosing to stay with us on your trip to Udaipur. My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2009

We stayed here for two nights of our two week tour of Rajasthan and were interested to find out what all the fuss is about. I've become convinced that if you pay around $300/night for a room anything beyond that rate will provide diminishing returns and not necessarily a better stay. This hotel is often ranked as one of the best hotels in the world by various magazines and we thought that after two nights in a Pushkar camp this place would be a welcome reprieve.

Upon arrival you are given a fantastic greeting which basically amounts to a mini show, and you will feel that you have died and gone to heaven. The place is beautiful, from the landscaping, to the pools, the location on the lake, and the room as well. I was particularly impressed with the condition of the furnishings of the room.

However I think that from the price one pays to stay here there is room for improvement. The shower barely had enough pressure to operate one of the three or so settings of the showerhead, and the temperature of the water would fluctuate quite noticeably every minute or so.

Sometimes the service can be overbearing as well. The place seemed to be quite unoccupied (I would guess only about 30% of the roughly 100 rooms were being used.) and all the staff seemed overly focused on us and what we were doing. If you get up to the breakfast buffet somebody immediately was there to position your napkin on the right armrest of the chair. During dinner we were questioned by at least three people (waiters, chefs, napkin replacers?) if we were happy with the food and our stay. Often the questioning was worded similarly giving the impression that these are just rehearsed conversation makers rather than any reflection of true interest. Don't even think about spooning out your tikka masala from the serving dish to your plate because that is what one of the many people at bay is there to "help" you with.

The food itself was fine but seemed nothing remarkable to us. I found it reasonably priced compared to the rest of the hotel and to other luxury hotels.

We paid $685/night: not worth it. (I included two breakfasts for two and one no-wine, no-dessert dinner for two as every other place we stayed in India included some food with the stay.)

wifi: pay, in-room. (One would think the $600/night would cover the cost of wifi.)

Delhi-TIKANA

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LSBurdett
Melbourne, Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

My mum and I stayed at the Oberoi Udaivilas for four nights in October 2009. We'd asked the hotel to pick us up from the airport, but when we emerged from the terminal we were astonished to find not only a hotel driver but another hotel staff member who gave us a warm personal welcome us to Udaipur. The airport is about 45 minutes away from the hotel. When we arrived, we were again greeted warmly by a staff member and given hot towels and a welcome drink. We were then given a tour of the hotel building and then taken to our room, where our baggage had already been delivered and the check-in formalities were done (no waiting at reception here).

Never before in our lives had we experienced service of the standard at Udaivilas. Each and every staff member was warm and attentive and responded quickly and efficiently to our requests and queries, no matter how minor. We never had to wait for anything here. Over our four day stay we had the chance to chat with some of the staff and they seemed to genuinely enjoy their jobs and were dedicated to ensuring each guest had the time of their life while at the hotel. Our sightseeing was carefully arranged by the hotel, and included a tour of the City Palace, a boat cruise, a day trip to Kumbalgarh Fort and the Ranakpur Jain temples, and a visit to the temple at Nathadwara.

We ate at the hotel restaurant most nights. The food was absolutely wonderful. Every dish we ordered arrived perfectly cooked - never over spiced or oily, as one sometimes finds at Indian restaurants - and beautifully presented on silver or fine china tableware. We particularly loved the desserts - the gulab jamun, juicy and laced with fragrant cardamom, was delicious, and the kulfi easily the best I've ever tasted.

The hotel grounds must be seen to be believed. No matter how many luxury hotels or resorts you may have stayed at, no matter how high your expectations, nothing will prepare you for the sheer magnificence and luxury of this hotel. The hotel is built in the style of an Indian palace, combining Mughal and Mewar architectural features, with 36 domes and numerous fountains and water features set amongst sprawling beautifully maintained and lush gardens, with beautiful sprays of pink bougainvillea. The interiors are absolutely stunning. The floors are covered with green Mewar marble, the dome above the lobby is covered in gold leaf and other rooms are opulently furnished and decorated with traditional Rajasthani artwork and other artefacts.

All in all, our stay in Udaivilas was perfect in every way, and we look forward to visiting the Oberoi Group's other resorts at Jaipur, Agra and elsewhere.

As hard as it to find fault with this remarkable hotel, alas I feel I must express one or two reservations, which are of a minor nature. Although superb, the service at the hotel can occasionally be a little over zealous. For example, when we at the restaurant, a waiter would ask me if I'd like another coffee, and I'd say no, then a few minutes later another waiter would come and ask me the same question. Or, when passing through the lobby area, say after a walk in the gardens, too many staff members in the lobby would greet me all at once and ask me how I was finding my stay at the hotel.

Another criticism is that food and drink is very expensive at the hotel. That's to be expected at a property of this quality, I suppose, but the thing to note about Udaivilas (as against some other hotels in Udaipur) is that it is in a somewhat isolated location across the lake from the town centre and there are no decent restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. So, unless you are willing to go into the town, your dining options will be restricted to those in the hotel.

Another minor gripe is that although the hotel had an internet kiosk for guest use, internet access wasn't free - commercial rates were charged. This was a bit mean, I felt, especially considering that many far more modest three and four star hotels in India and abroad offer free access to guests, even if it is time limited.

• Stayed October 2009
4 Thank Cartick S

roma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

the best place i ever seen

room was beautiful

charming place

the spa with its own swimming pool overlooks the lake

• Stayed January 2006, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RomaNewyork

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

This hotel is recently built, though has been so carefully designed to fit in with it's surroundings that it could easily be one of the old Maharana's palaces. A short boat ride across Lake Pichola began this magical experience and from entering to leaving we were made to feel like the most important people in the world! The staff are wonderful - nothing is too much trouble and they are superbly efficient, polite and friendly. The rooms are excellent, many with 'back' doors leading onto the area of the outside pool. Despite it's size, it was peaceful and we felt secluded. This is a romantic hotel in one of the most romantic destinations I have ever seen. Expensive, but we found a special deal - so keep looking! Even if it for only one night this is a place not to be missed.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JillS1
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

The grounds the hotel sits on are beautiful - very spacious and so so quiet. There are not many Indian cities and towns where you can experience such peace. We never once regretted not staying in the Lake Palace, which looked quite sad out on the lake.

This was my first experience with a 5-star hotel and I had mixed feelings about it. Despite paying a significant amount for the rooms we felt the hotel was over concerned with the "extras". For example, we were charged for the breakfast buffet twice because my husband and I both went up and got something for our kids (who supposedly dine free). I understand being charged once, but twice was unreasonable. Hotels a star down usually provide excellent breakfast buffets inclusive and never bother about the kids. Also, despite saying it would be sorted out the charge remained during check-out.

Other than small issues like this we enjoyed the stay. The historical buildings on the premises are interesting and they even have a small wildlife reserve. There is a childrens playground and lots and lots of space to run around in.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sunjoy
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2009

We stayed 2 nights in Udaivilas for our honeymoon. This hotel is really great!!
The service is wonderful and the hotel is amaizing.
The decoration of the rooms and the common places are stylish with a lot of indian influences. We feelt like in a maharadja palace. Most the rooms are made with sandstone or while marble, the view on the lake is awsome and the garden suronding the place is really enjoyable.
I never experience such a nice service: each staff is really helpful and professional: the guy next to the pool bring us nice complementary mango smothies and suncream, towels when we go out if it’s a bit chilly, very nice welcome with drink and tika on arrival.
One evening, I ordered a glass of wine, apparently the somelier took a bit more time than usual to find it (although it was not long at all, maybe 10 min and I did not complain at all) at the end of the meal, the manager of the restaurant came to appologize for this unusual delay and he offer us the diner!!
We tried the spa, the 3 hours treatement the magic of Mewar. It’s really unbelivable to have this nice massage facing the lake at the sun set!

We also tried Oberoi in Agra, also very nice experience but in Udaipur the staff is more detail minded and devoted.

If you go to India and you are looking for an amazing place, stay in Udaivilas.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple