“Three nights was not enough in this little bit of paradise.....”

The Oberoi Udaivilas
Ranked #3 of 163 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Over the years, I've traveled the world and stayed at many 5-6* hotels. If there is a 10 star hotel, this is it! We stayed for three nights and next time will stay for at least 7, using it as a destination resort, before exploring more of India. I do love the Oberoi hotels and have stayed at two in Egypt and their lovely Nile cruiser, as well as six hotels in India, includingding the Udaivilas. I think they're all fabulous, but this one was paradise.

Many reviews before me have written glowing reviews. I agree with all of them. We had a beautiful room with a pool, overlooking the grassy lawn, flowering trees and lake. It was simply exquisite. I loved walking right out the patio door to private loungers with umbrella covering and direct access to a pool. The grounds themselves were beautiful. The staff are indescribably friendly and helpful, including the front desk staff, dining and room service, as well as housekeeping. I had many interesting conversations with these friendly and lovely people. If I started with a list of names, it would be over 20+ long.

At a previous hotel in our journey, I had been served rombutan (an exotic fruit)...my favorite. They had called ahead to future lodgings and the fruit is very hard to get. Finally in Udiapur, the head of food service was able to find a large supply and it was available at all meals and in my room. A great treat and a great many people going to a lot of trouble.

The hotel has a beautiful little boat and we took a ride out onto the lake. As we boarded the boat, one of our friends from room food service appeared with lovely snacks and had specially made iced tea for me. It's not too common to drink iced tea in India, but they remembered my preference and actually delivered it to the boat. These special touches were many and defined the kind of service the hotel provides.

There is a special part of the hotel which hasn't gotten a lot of attention. If you like primitive/naif art you must visit the small round room completely decorated with the most delicate and beautiful paintings of scenery, animals, trees and flowers. I had seen this artist's paintings at the (wonderful-other favorite) Oberoi in Ranthambore. His paintings completely cover two walls of the dining room there and I had asked about him. I was told that he had moved to Jaipur, then on to Udaipur.

As it turned out, our guide in Udiapur was the artist's boyhood friend and I found that he had moved to the south to work on a commission. Our guide did, however, take me to a small, out of the way gallery where I was able to purchase one of his precious works painted on silk.a very special reminder of a very special trip.

One thing that I don't think has been written about is the Fort at the back of the property. It's very old and cared for by an older man who has been caretaker for over 40 years. He is now 80 and takes great pride in his job, which is to protect the art treasures/murals covering all of the walls of the fort. The art, again, was very primitive, much like the paintings in the hotel, but much older and done with natural pigments. Because the man keeps the shutters closed unless he has visitors, the art has been preserved. I don't think that too many people "find" the fort; he was thrilled to have two visitors who were so interested in the building. I think it's a national treasure.

I think that other's have mentioned the excellent food and the courtyard entertainment. I feel like I'm writing a book so I will stop.

I would suggest giving yourself a treat and leaving time to simply enjoy the hotel as well as all of the interesting places in Udaipur. A few nights is simply not enough.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Udaivilas-Oberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2010

Fabulous!

It’s an amazing review! I would like to thank you for taking out precious time of yours to write such a descriptive and fabulous review following your recent visit to The Oberoi Udaivilās.

We are delighted that the team Udaivilās left lasting impressions with you. We will be sure to share your feedback with them.

Thank you so very much, once again, for your Trip Advisor review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your holiday while staying with us.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We look forward to welcome you back to The Oberoi Udaivilās on your return to Udaipur.

There are newer reviews for The Oberoi Udaivilas

Reviewed 6 December 2010

Fabulous hotel and staff. The most perfect place we have ever stayed in. It was like being in paradise - every need catered for. We were so relaxed we didn't want to leave. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Udaivilas-Oberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2010

Short and sweet!!! What a wonderful way of sharing your experience with us. Guest's feedback and appreciation centainly works as the great source of motivation for the team.

The team Udaivilas is so pleased to know from your review that their efforts were so well appreciated. Thank you, once again, for taking the time to share your feedback.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back, again, to The Oberoi, Udaivilas.

Reviewed 1 December 2010

From the time I stepped out of the airport till the time I stepped back in to leave Udaipur, I must say I felt I didn't have to worry about anything. Escorts were waiting to pick me up right outside the terminal building and everyone I interacted with from the Hotel knew my name.
The hotel is located on a vast property and is well spread. We had a room with a semi-private plunge pool and we absolutely loved it. The view from the room was overlooking the lake. Although I did expect more from the room, which did come across as a little standard and not as exclusive as I had hoped. The rooms were clean, neat and well equipped, but nothing more,
The restaurants in the hotel offer a standard menu, although the food is good. The staff is by far the most friendly and courteous I have encountered in a hotel. They were absolutely incredible, and that was the highlight of my stay.
I liked how they had arranged for folk dances and performances over dinner in their restaurant, it was a fantastic experience.
The landscaping was beautifully done, and it was a pleasure strolling around in the property. They had deer, wild boars and peacocks at the rear of the hotel, which added to the experience of the hotel.
Luckily for us, the weather was brilliant while we were there, this ensured we stayed outdoors for the major part of our trip. And I must add, the weather does play an important part in a location like Udaipur because it tends to get very hot. Hence, It becomes vital that the hotel is visited during its 'good weather' months (November-March) to fully enjoy its potential.
All in all, the setting of the hotel is breathtaking, the staff incredible and the experience unforgettable.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Udaivilas-Oberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2010

Thank you for writing such a lovely review of your experience with us.

Your review has been shared with the team Udaivilas and they are so thrilled to know that their efforts were so well appreciated.

Thank you once again, for sharing your experience in such a beautiful way that it became a great source of motivation for the team.

Reviewed 30 November 2010

We stayed at the Oberoi Udaivilas for a week in September. We were traveling with our infant daughter of 7 months. I have to say the service was excellent and exceeded our expectations. We needed several things from time to time for the baby and the service was delivered almost instantly. The staff were very courteous and were always on hand to help. We ran out of formula and they arranged for it quickly; bottles were washed and sterlized in a jiffy. We had an early morning flight out and the hotel accommodated an "extended" late check-out as we were with a baby. The hotel itself is a beautiful property with its rolling lawns, on-the-lake location and palace-like architecture. Our rooms were beautiful (perhaps the best hotel room I have stayed in) and opened out to the courtyard and swimming pool. Food was decent (my husband still reminisces about their polenta with mushroom ragout) although the restaurants themselves were a bit blah. The spa location is excellent with views of the lake. Makes for great photos. Excellent massages as well. We enjoyed our stay so much that we extended our stay by an extra day. Just didn't want to leave. Truly made us feel like royaltly!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Udaivilas-Oberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely feedback of your experience with us at The Oberoi Udaivilās. Feedback from our guests is integral to our quest for excellence.

We are delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Your positive comments about the hotel, in particular of our staff are much appreciated and have been communicated to the entire team at Udaivilās. They will serve as a further source of inspiration for us, in achieving even higher standards of excellence.

Once again, I thank you for your valuable feedback.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Udaivilās on your next visit to Udaipur.

Reviewed 22 November 2010

Udaivilas and the impeccable service at the Resort can and will always rejuvenate ,refresh ,recharge the very essence of existence and sooth the streched nerves. The Resort has exotic cuisine, service that is not only prompt but friendly ...only even if the resort was more moderately priced would enable a lot more people to experience what class and quality is all about

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

What a beautiful review!

Your review is being shared with the team Udaivilas to let them know that their efforts were so well appreciated.

Thank you for sharing your feedback in the form of this review and of course having stayed with us. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back, again, to The Oberoi, Udaivilās.

Reviewed 21 November 2010

This hotel can be truly said as the no.1 hotel in the world... starting from its grandeur, luxury, service to its location. Standing at the banks of pichola it is the most memorable experience. We stayed for 2 night and we felt like kings and queens. i felt there were atleast 10 employees for every guest and they are everywhere greeting all through the day.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Udaivilas-Oberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2010

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation. It's indeed a lovely review and has been shared with the team.

The Team Udaivilas is so thrilled to know that their efforts were so well appreciated, this would be a great source of motivation.

Thank you once again, for sharing your experience in such a beautiful way!

Reviewed 21 November 2010

If you are going to visit Udaipur, and really want to indulge, stay here. The hotel and rooms are luxe, the staff are outstanding, and the services amazing...between the blissful treatments at the spa, the free yoga instruction, the delicious meals, and the gorgeous pool. The rooms with semi-private pool are spectacular, especially in the hot season. There are peacocks roaming the grounds and the ambiance will transport you back to the era of the Maharajas...Udaipur is a slice of paradise and this hotel exemplifies it.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Udaivilas-Oberoi, General Manager at The Oberoi Udaivilas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2010

Thank you for appreciating the hotel, its location, the view, the ambience, the rooms, the facilities, the cuisine, the services and our most precious possession...team Udaivilas...the soul of the hotel!

Your review has been shared with the team and they are so pleased to know that their efforts were so well appreciated.

Thank you very much indeed for this beautiful review!