“A place to feel pampered”

Jagat Niwas Palace Hotel
Ranked #13 of 153 Hotels in Udaipur
New York City, New York
“A place to feel pampered”
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Without a doubt, the place that made me feel pampered and spoiled, as I completely fell in love with my large window seat overlooking Lake Pichola! The room is spacious and comfortable, and there is a separate nook for our suitcases. The extra cost of the lake-facing room was worth it to me, as it gave me the opportunity to fantasize and really feel like royalty. The only odd thing about this place is the open shower in the bathroom (but I didn't mind it). The restaurant on top is also a wonderful amenity of the hotel. The hotel is elegant, with a very polished and professional staff.

Clearly, I was fortunate to have the room with the large windowseat overlooking the lake, unlike the earlier reviewer.

We also ate in the restaurant, which we found to be very good and a great setting.

Room Tip: Lakefacing room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paulesue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

Despite having booked a lake view room 7 months in advance of our trip, we were notified only 3 weeks before departure that the lake view rooms were unavailable, and we would get a non-lake view room. When we checked in we were assigned to (sub)standard rooms, three levels below our original booking. Here's what we got: Rooms with no windows, no bedside lamps, no on-demand hot water (we did get our own hot water heater which had to be started 15 minutes before you needed the hot water, and was then only enough for one brief shower), no A/C, no in-room safe to secure valuables, no place except a cement shelf to put clothing, shabby furniture, no place to put your suitcase, and no complimentary drinking water. To add insult to injury we had to endure a surly front desk clerk who presided over his fiefdom replete with signs "Visitors Not Allowed in Rooms" and "No Washing Clothes in Rooms". We checked out the same day we checked in. Absolutely for the only most intrepid traveller who can't afford more and is willing to sacrifice basic comforts for price. Badly needs a complete overhaul from staff in pseudo-military dress to rooms lacking too many basics to basic courtesy. Not recommended!

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sandra F
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 February 2013

When asked for dining recommendations in Udaipur, most people would get either Amet Haveli or Jagat Niwas - the two hotels serving the best food with the best view. We were privileged to have tried both and true enough, both made an impression.

We tried Jagat Niwas on the day we arrived at Udaipur as it came highly recommended and was only a five-minute walk from our hotel. Upon ordering, we realized that they had stopped serving main courses as lunch time was long over (we were there at 3-4ish) and only snacks / finger food were available. We were extremely disappointed to hear from the waiter that orders for main courses would only resume at 6pm. Immediately, I explained to the waiter that we had just arrived and were starving since we haven't had lunch and requested that they make an exception for us. Fortunately for us, he was VERY kind to oblige. As Udaipur was the last stop of our two-week India journey, we thought we had enough of Indian food and was craving for anything other than Indian. After thorough flipping of the menu, my partner opted for Fish & Chips while I went for the Chicken Pesto Fusilli. We ordered the conventional Chicken Briyani for our Indian Driver.

The Fish & Chips, I must say, was a major disappointment. All we could taste was flour and the fish fillets had a sickly pink colour! If without the tartar sauce, it was almost inedible. Thankfully, my Chicken Pesto Fusilli tasted fine but it got cloy-ish after a few mouthfuls. I had to munch on the chips to get some variations in my food. But but but........ the Chicken Briyani was surprisingly good or rather exceptionally good. It tasted very different from the numerous Briyani Rice we had before. It was so yummy that I regretted not taking a photo of that dish to possibly study the ingredients that made the dish so flavourful. If given a chance, I would definitely want to visit Jagat Niwas again just to have the Briyani and probably also to discover its secret. Haha.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
pittsburgh pa
Reviewed 16 February 2013

what a great place to stay in udaipur. right on the lake, our twin room was the best. bay windows where we could lounge with a perfect view. restaurant wonderful as well. staff excellent. just a great place to relax and still be near all the sights.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank artmatterspgh
virginia
Reviewed 15 February 2013

35 nights in India, hotels of all categories, all inclusive of breakfast, except for Jagat Newas! Beware of the breakfast! I am not one to make a big deal about these things, but when all this was brought up to management and I wished for them to express some apology or correction, it became my fault for not knowing what was going on.

If you were not informed before to include breakfast with your room when booking (apparently some guests are as we later found out), something I was never offered in all of my dealings with the hotel, BEWARE! You will walk into the restaurant, be marked by your room number as breakfast not included ( on purpose to get you to spend more money), and offered an a la carte menue. My wife and I each had a bowl of mueslix with curd, coffee, and fruit(dried as it was cut up the night before) and billed around 1500 RS. We have had outstanding full dinners all over India for less than this price.

The Hotel should be ashamed of itself for this practice, as they charge a good amount for their services (plenty of other good options all over the lake region).

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelonVirginia
Basel
Reviewed 12 February 2013

If you book a lake view suite, the room itself is good. Bathroom equipment is minimal and the shower is indian style which means no curtain or glass - so expect everything to be wet after a shower... A lot of pigeons will sit outside of your window bench and wake you up in the morning. But maybe you are already awake as you can hear the chairs and tables moving early in the morning from the restaurant above all/most lake facing rooms. The restaurant and food is average, service rather slow. The location of the hotel is very good in the center of Udaipur close to Lal Ghat where you can get on a boat ride on the lake - by the way, in Udaipur the city center was the only rather clean place we found in a city (compared to Delhi, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Bundi, Nagaur, Mandawa etc.). In total I would give it a 3,5 - somewhere between average and good.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank phototravellerbasel
Dharmshala
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Our experience with both the hotel and the travel agent has been beyond expectations. The hotel is beautiful and the staff helpful and friendly. We have been on an 18 day trip set up with Namshakar tour with our excellent and cautious driver, Anand. We have been treated as family as if we are favorite aunties. We have been to many cities where we were provided with a selection of hotels that have been beautiful and comfortable with all arrangements taken care of for us. Anand have proved to be a wonderful companion who is resourceful and a good problem solver. He anticipates situations. Both the hotel and the travel agent is a good value and I recommend then highly. Victoria Cockerill and Gloria McConnaghy

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends