“Terrible customer service”

Fateh Prakash Palace
Ranked #35 of 165 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I made online reservation with 2 adults and 2 children with ages indicated and asked for 2 double beds. I was given a price and made reservation. Upon checking, they wanted to give me king size bed and charge extra for 1 child and extra bed at a significant cost. I told them that I made reservations for 2 adults and 2 children and why was I being charged extra. They said it is in the terms. They made me show them my email with confirmation that showed 2 adults and 2 children. The manager agreed but called his superior and still refused to give me what I had reserved. I left that place since they didn't even believe me. I found another better hotel, Fateh Garh which accommodated all of us with the phone price they gave us and service was very good. I would recommend Fateh Garh over Fateh Prakash any day. Don't even go to Fateh Prakash.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank PK12345209

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed with my family in the first week of November. Stayed for 3 nights in Fateh Prakash Palace and one night in their property in Kumbal Garh. My rooms were lake facing and it was a fantastic view from our window. My kids were very happy during this stay. I was upgraded to a nice suite room for 2 nights which which a very nice experience for the family. The staff was very helping and courteous.

Room Tip: lake facing room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
HRHhotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fateh Prakash Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear tarun2302,

Greetings from Fateh Prakash Palace, Udaipur.

We are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable and memorable stay at our hotel. Thank you very much for your kind words expressing and sharing your experiences at our hotel - it's ambiance, location, the services and our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back at our hotels soon and create yet another memorable journey for you.

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed in fateh Prakash for two nights and stayed in room no. 602, every moment of our stay was amazing, though staff needs but more of training but overall they were helpful. The room was well equipped with an amazing view of lake pichola and lake palace. We particularly loved the jacuzzi in the room. It's a highly recommended place, food was nice and sunset restaurant was outstanding I think it had the best views of lake pichola.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear p1136,

Greetings from Fateh Prakash Palace, Udaipur.

Thank you for taking out time and sharing your experiences during your stay at our hotel. This review makes us realize we are on the right track of serving our guests. Thank you very much for your kind words.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I'll begin by mentioning that I'm an American of Indian origin, that I speak Hindi passably, and that I've traveled extensively in India-- so I'm no newbie to Indian hotels.

My wife and I spent 4 days at the Fateh Prakash Palace hotel from Dec 7-10, 2013 on our honeymoon. Overall, our stay-- in one of the "Dovecote" rooms-- was pleasant enough. The room was comfortable, the staff generally pleasant, and the complimentary breakfast at the Sun Terrace restaurant was excellent.

Unfortunately, our experience was marred by what I consider to be an unacceptable pricing scam. We had 2 loads of laundry to be done, so I asked the housekeeping manager what their prices were for laundry services. He was deliberately evasive and led me to believe that their pricing structure was in line with most high-end hotels in India. In my experience, I've come to expect laundry at a high-end hotel to run around Rs. 1000 (approximately US $16), which is quite a mark-up, considering that one could get it done at a storefront operation for around Rs. 250 (US $4) even in the tourist part of town. Imagine my surprise at checkout, when I was presented with a bill for Rs. 4500 (US $ 75)-- for two small loads of laundry!

Three other items worth mentioning:

The location is on palace grounds, which means that you are right next to the City Palace, the Durbar Hall and Crystal Gallery. Aside from these places, though, you're a good 5-10 minute walk away from anything else-- restaurants, shopping, etc-- and you have to show a pass to get past the guards to enter palace grounds when returning to your hotel after-hours. This can be a little inconvenient, but on the plus side, the hotel becomes a nice oasis from the otherwise relentless touts and rickshaw drivers clamoring for their chance to gnaw on your wallet. Also, you get to walk past the palace every night, after-hours, which is quite beautiful. Just be aware that you may be walking a bit more than people who stay in the Lal Ghat area.

Also, as of December 10, 2013, there was noisy construction work being conducted overnight in the kitchen of the Sun Terrace Restaurant, which was unfortunately directly above our room.

Finally, on a humorous note, I'd like to address the so-called "Afternoon Tea Service" at the affiliated Durbar Hall (next to the Crystal Gallery) that is recommended by many sources (including Lonely Planet). This is an afternoon tea service only in that they serve you tea in the afternoon. We went expecting a nicely set table, tea with scones and clotted cream and jam, little sandwiches, etc. What we got was tea with a grilled cheese sandwich and french fries! It was actually pretty tasty but overpriced, and not quite what we had hoped.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RC_from_SF
HRHhotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fateh Prakash Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear RC_from_SF,

Greetings from Fateh Prakash Palace, Udaipur.

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and taking your valuable time off to write about your stay with us. Its inspiring to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us as much as we have enjoyed having you stay with us. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed the Sunset Terrace over looking the lake

Your generous feedback has been discussed in detail with the entire team and it goes a long way in motivating us to strive harder and ensure comfort of our guests. Once again thank you very much and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We were a group of 10 (5 couples) stayed for 3 nights, the rooms were large, excellent interiors, nice lake view, good food, excellent location and courteous staff. Since the hotel is in city palace area the sight seeing was at walkable distances and surroundings are neat and clean.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Gumidellis,

Greetings from Fateh Prakash Palace, Udaipur.

We thank you very much for reviewing us here. We are glad to read you had an enjoyable time at our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel soon and create yet another memorable journey for you.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

1. The front desk staff is the worst I've ever seen for any star hotel let alone a hotel this expensive. The check in and check out process both took 1.5 hours each. The staff keep fighting among each other on why the other is a poor choice! The restaurant, specially at the terrace restaurant, will notice your existence only if they wish to. Otherwise just keep calling them and wait for their priceless attention. The room service is equally poor.

2. The views from the rooms are good. Can't think of anything else that was good about it. Perhaps, the location, which is in the palace complex.

I wouldn't be staying there again. Not worth the price or the time.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a larger windows and better views. Make sure you check the room first. Some views ar...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
HRHhotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fateh Prakash Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear illusio2013,

Greetings from Fateh Prakash Palace, Udaipur.

We wish to thank you for your review about your stay with us. We would like to assure you that the staff has been well trained to perform their specified roles effectively and to assist our esteemed guests during their stay with us. We have noted your review & will ensure that the same is addressed with immediate effect.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel is highly recommended if you want to have a feel of staying in the palace. The whole ambiance is so very royal. the feeling of the marble, the palace, the adjoining lake and the sunset view, the durbar everything just adds to the royalty. Had it not been for the very ordinary service level, i would have given this place 5 stars. The best part about our stay was the light and sound show that was particularly organized for us. It was just world class. The amenities are superb and on the whole just loved the experience of staying here.

Room Tip: Go for the suite room with a balcony overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tortter

Dear Tortter,

Greetings from Fateh Prakash Palace, Udaipur.

We are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable and memorable stay at our hotel. We thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and sharing your travel pictures with us.