With absolutely no knowledge of the city of Udaipur, we decided to rely on TripAdvisor's hotel review. We booked a 2-day stay at Shikarbadi online (HRH Group of Hotels website). The hotel was once a hunting lodge (till the mid-1950s, I believe). Today, it is heartening to see that the same place is a safe, green haven for many kinds of animals and birds.
As for our experience, everything about the place was a source of sensory delight - the natural and untouched beauty, the hospitality, the weather, the quietude, the view of the Aravallis and the hotel's own lake, the chirping of birds at all times, several species of flora and fauna...and so much more. We ended up extending our stay by two more days, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Shikarbadi.
In closing, I would like to recommend Shikarbadi strongly to city-dwellers looking desperately for a relaxed break...without having to pay a bomb!
A few important points to note for readers:
1. The hotel is about 1 KM. away from the main road, and does not have access to buses, autos, etc. However, if one has their own car, its very comfortable (alternately, one can ask the hotel to arrange for transport at a reasonable price)
2. The main city of Udaipur is about 3 KM. from the hotel; as such, those looking for more 'action' should probably choose one of the hotels in the city/near Lake Pichola. Shikarbadi is ideal for those seeking peace and relaxation
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Single-story Hotel, originally a Royal Hunting Lodge, located in wooded area, just outside Udaipur. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Fastbooking, Odigeo, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shikarbadi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shikarbadi Hotel Udaipur