“Attractive Hotel, well situated for exploring the city” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Udai Kothi
Ranked #25 of 151 Hotels in Udaipur
shropshire
“Attractive Hotel, well situated for exploring the city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a couple of nights in February. The Hotel is an attractive building and our room was well decorated and clean. It is well located and you can easily walk into the centre of the city by walking over the footbridge. The restaurant on the roof was very atmospheric for evening meals and the quality of the food was good. The drawback in the mornings for breakfast was the rather crowded small dining room situated on the roof although we could appreciate it would be difficult for staff to manage guests having breakfast in the larger restaurant area. The rooftop swimming pool looked good although we did not swim in it. We found all the staff welcoming and pleasant except for a rather officious man on reception when we checked in- this was rather a pity as it set a negative tone for us which was not reflected by anyone else for the rest of our stay. I do wonder how the expansion of the hotel with the building of a new wing currently in progress will impact on this hotel's claim to be a 'boutique hotel'.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Greater London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

This hotel looks like an elegant, renovated heritage haveli but it's actually relatively new (15-20 years old). It therefore has nice modern fittings and furnishings -- lots of power points, minibar, small safe -- but also lots of classic charm. I couldn't fault the room for comfort or amenities, though the two single beds were rather hard. It had classic furniture and was quite elegant. The middle of the hotel is like a very large courtyard with lovely green gardens with plenty of flowers.

The hotel's location is good. Walk to the end of the street and you'll find a nice place to take photos of the lake, as well as a ghat where people bathe. Udai Kothi is about 5 minutes walk to the bridge leading to the other side of the lake -- where you'll find little shops, an interesting temple, an excellent cultural show, and the Royal Palace. Central Udaipur was an attractive town (though not, as my guide claimed, "more beautiful than Venice" -- it's more like Como), and Udai Kothi was a pleasant base.

But I was unlucky at Udai Kothi. The big problem with my stay here was that my room was on the ground floor, which was disappointing as it meant there was no view, window seat or natural light -- which just about all other rooms seemed to have. It also meant it was really dark as I couldn't open the curtains without having all the people walking along the path right outside my window looking in -- as a woman travelling alone I definitely didn't want this!! Likewise, as a woman travelling alone, to leave a ground-level window open when I was asleep would be to be cavalier with personal safety in India. While staff assured me "it's perfectly safe", staff at this hotel also quizzed me about why I was alone, and one seemed to assume that a Western woman travelling without her husband chaperoning her must be 'easy'. Of course this didn't make me feel safe!! So the window and curtains had to stay firmly closed.

Therefore, although the room was clean, attractively furnished, and nice-enough in itself, I was very disappointed by its dark, ground-level location. Most other guests had natural light, window seats, views (which I'd read about on TripAdvisor and was so looking forward to), whereas I had to keep my curtains closed and stay in the gloom. I was recovering from gastro when I arrived here and I was feeling a bit weak, so I spent much of my first day in Udaipur resting in my room. I just kept wishing I could have a bit of light and privacy at the same time. Although I asked (on arrival, and again later) if I could move to another room, I was told none were available. But from something one staff member told me off the record, I believe this was due to a lack of willingness rather than a lack of ability to move me. And, from something a receptionist said to me, I was left with the strong impression that I was a low priority as I was travelling alone, and couples/groups were given the nicer rooms (even if they just stayed one night when I was staying longer). Obviously this didn't make me feel valued as a guest.

I was also dismayed to have to have a cold shower on my first night as the hot water had run out (very chilly on a cool winter night!). When I mentioned this to reception the next day, I was told that the boiler goes off at 11pm but they'll put it on for you on request. It's a shame there was no notice to this effect in the room.

The saving grace for me was the roof top restaurant, which is beautiful and had good food and friendly staff. It has a lovely view over Udaipur, and is a very romantic setting. There's a gorgeous swimming pool on the roof, and it's surrounded by cushioned window seats. In the evening, musicians play traditional songs on the sitar. I told the restaurant staff I was recovering from an upset tummy and they were very kind, going out of their way to suggest simple, safe food, and making a genuine effort to make me feel welcome and looked after.

Despite my disappointment with this hotel, I'd still recommend it. I could see that other rooms were really nice. If I'd had one of those rooms, I'm sure I'd have loved my stay here.

My extremely strong recommendation to management would be to only put 'overnight' (ie. one night stay) guests in the dim, dark rooms on the ground floor. Don't put single women travellers in there -- for safety and privacy reasons. And please don't patronise guests by saying "it's one of our best rooms" when you give them a dud. I'm not stupid!!! I've seen the pictures of bright, pretty rooms on the internet, and I glimpsed some of them as I walked past open doors on my way to breakfast, and I know I didn't have one of the best rooms no matter how reception tried to spin it. I felt quite cheated by this hotel, and very disappointed as it should have been one of the nicer places I stayed. I'd been looking forward to Udai Kothi as a highlight of my trip, but instead I was pleased to leave and I was left feeling disappointed with my stay here.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the lake. If that's not available, at least make sure you don't ge...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Atheoretical
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

A beautiful Boutique Hotel - indeed. We had a wonderful experience staying at this hotel in Udaipur. We would highly recommend to all. It's was the palace hotel for us for sure. Staff, food, atmosphere, all wonderful. High ratings 10++ for this hotel. Restaurant atmosphere was wonderful and very comfortable. All staff genuine. What more can you ask for.

Room Tip: The Suite Rooms are very nice. The entire hotel atmosphere is very nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Taruna P
Natanya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

Beautifully laid out hotel with lawns and gardens in between the buildings that can be seen from the corridor windows outside the room. Large bedroom, comfortable bed, charming window seats with cushions. Very lovely roof top restaurant with plentiful buffet dinner. Also on the roof top is a clean pool to lounge around and share a drink. Good breakfast selection. Convenient location allowing easy walking all around the city.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ShiraNatanya
Majorca, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

A lovely hotel. We were in a deluxe room , number 301 which overlooked the front of the Hotel and the lake. Very prettily decorated, clean and had everything we needed including tea and coffee, they even gave us biscuits.
The rooftop restaurant and swimming pool area are lovely.
We found the staff were great.
The food is also very good.
There is a small, pretty garden at the back.
The Hotel's location is ideal, within easy walking distance to most areas.
The wifi is free of charge.
We really enjoyed our 4 day stay at this Hotel and would definitely use it again when visiting Udaipur.

Room Tip: Deluxe room number 301 was very pretty and had a lake view, a little bit small but no problem.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

I had a very enjoyable stay in this hotel and would not hesitate in recommending this place. The room was extremely spacious and clean. The hotel is in a great location situated across the lake from the city palace and within easy walking distance. The rooftop terrace is a great place to relax and soak up the atmosphere of beautiful Udaipur.
Sure the bottled water wasn't replaced after day one and on one occasion the room was serviced a little later than usual but all in all it was excellent accommodation.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NicEAus
Panwar, Reservation Manager at Hotel Udai Kothi, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear Guest, Thanks for your valuble review!
We are glad that you enjoyed Udai Kothi
Look forward to have you again with us.
Santiago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

We stayed in Palace Lake Suite room but for seeing the lake you had to strecht the neck on a lateral window. If you wish a view of the lake, this hotel is probably not the right one. But location is pretty good, sufficiently outside the buzzing city but at a few minutes walking in a charming neighborhood. Room was fine, although we had to walk four storeys up and down (they are installing an elevator). Dinner in the terrace quite good with great view, but slow. A good alternative at a reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RicardoLeon
Dear Guest, Thanks for your valuble review!
We are glad that you enjoyed Udai Kothi
Look forward to have you again with us.