“My favorite hotel anywhere”
Review of Kankarwa Haveli

Kankarwa Haveli
Ranked #60 of 177 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We had an amazing room right at the edge of the lake -- it was a magic and romantic place to stay. Also particularly memorable were the breakfasts at the roof top restaurant: spicy vegetable parathas with excellent Indian coffee, charmingly served. This is not grande luxe -- the power went out in the afternoons, the hot water was not completely reliable, but for the price, it is superb.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Why would you stay anywhere else in Udaipur? It's perfect: location, room comfort, rooftop restaurant with unforgettable views... etc.
The staff were very friendly on arrival and any time we interacted with them. Nothing was too much trouble.
We requested a lake-view room, and the first one we were shown was very dark with only a small window, so we weren't very impressed. When we asked to be shown another room we had to wait for the manager to arrive before they could tell us what was available, and it was a long wait. However, when he finally came there was no problem: he showed us the room next door, which had three large windows overlooking the lake and was absolutely beautiful so in the end we were very happy with the accommodation.
The bathroom was reasonably clean and although not large was quite OK. The bed was very comfortable and the room overlooked the washing ghats, so there was always plenty to see from our window.
As in most Indian hotels we stayed, breakfast was included, and this was quite good, with a reasonable choice of western and Indian food on offer. Meals on the rooftop, especially breakfast, were memorable with the million dollar view.
The management and staff were eager to please and very helpful at all times, and we couldn't think of a nicer place to stay in Udaipur. We stayed for three nights and were very happy with this hotel. Although a bit more expensive than some places we stayed, this is an expensive city and we thought it excellent value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I was very pleased to be able to book, because I'd read so many positive reports of Kankarwa Haveli. I loved the place overall - the feeling of being hidden away yet in the heart of things, the pretty inner courtyard, the stunning panoramic view over the lake to the palaces - this was from the rooftop restaurant. I thought the food was good value and liked the service - quiet, but efficient. It's good if you can have a proper conversation with a member of the family which owns and runs the place, because they have so much knowledge of the area and its history. They were helpful when asked but never intrusive. My room was less attractive than those described in other reviews - it had neither the view nor the traditional furnishings! - but that was because I booked late, and it was perfectly adequate. No doubt it was also proportionately cheaper! I'd go again, but will plan ahead and make sure I get one of the lake-facing rooms...

Room Tip: Definitely book ahead, so you can choose a room with a view!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ChristinaSLP
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed here for two nights, it was pricey, but for a couple in the middle of a hectic three week tour of India, it was a nice break and relaxing place.

We paid extra for a suite with a private balcony overlooking the lake, gorgeous room with traditional decorations, bathroom was huge and clean, everything was working and still could get a wifi signal inside which was a plus (they only said lobby). But for the price being paid I would expect them to shell out the extra money for a few more boxes to make wifi hotel-wide.

Only thing that lowers it one on the rating is the staff at the restaurant was not the best, food was slow and not on par compared to the rest of what the hotel offers. Breakfast was included-but it's only one, which is great if you are alone, frustrating if a couple. For what I paid it wouldn't be that much more cost to provide two. Great view of the lake and city though.

I would stay again, just go out to eat.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1world1eye
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I stayed at the Kankarwa last November for 2 nights. My room (at the top right hand side of the first flight of steps) was really lovely with a huge window facing out onto the water with a beautiful view. I was with a group so was able to get into quite a few rooms all of which were individual and all the ones I saw lovely. The owner and his staff are all extremely friendly and it's in a good location to get around everywhere. The autorickshaw guys just outside the Haveli were very friendly and helpful. Great restaurants nearby and a front seat view of local indian life at the ghat. I would highly recommend a stay here and and hoping to return again one day.

Room Tip: I loved my room at the top of the first flight of steps to the right hand side, can't remember t...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank aromaflowesher
Reviewed 4 March 2012

recently stayed here for one nite. had a room facing the lake on the second floor-room was nice, big size bed for two, bathroom had plenty of hot water and was clean- local woman do laundry under your window in mornings, so some noise is there, nice touch and good for pictures.restaurant was nothing much,had to press the issue upon arriving, they had nothing set up and were at ease when asked to be fed- once they got started food was satisfactory-the location of hotel is excellent, end of small alley, so no cars, and you need a small car to get in.everything is in walking distance- staff is very laid back- need to nego for room deals

Room Tip: ask for room facing the lake
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Many good reviews about this place made me book into it, but if I were to visit Udaipur again I would go nextdoor to Jagat Niwas Palace hotel. The Kankarwa is not a bad place, the location is lovely, right on the water and near the city palace. The staff are nice enough, although very playful, untrained and childish. At check in you are given a marketing speech about the food at the hotel, how it is much fresher than in other restaurants of Udaipur - "we use no frozen foods". Then, when I went to the restaurant, which is on a lovely roof terrace, the food offered on the menu was a ridiculous small choice at a high price. Any Indian restaurant I have ever been to, has had heaps more food on its menu. this, to me, is the single biggest factor, why people do not eat there. I told the owner's son, but he said, because the food is so fresh and not stored long, they cannot give a better selection. Well, that's too bad, because with the menu there is, the best marketing speech will not help to keep people at the haveli for dinner or lunch. The Jagat Niwas Palace right next door has superb food in an even greater setting than the Kankarwa - why would people stay at Kankarwa? Kankarwa should study their competition....
Again, not a bad place, kind enough people, but overpriced and over rated for what it is.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends