“Great Location on the Lake”
Review of Kankarwa Haveli

Kankarwa Haveli
Ranked #42 of 153 Hotels in Udaipur
Los Angeles, California
“Great Location on the Lake”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel initially as part of a tour and stayed on for an additional week...the Haveli is well maintained and quaint...many rooms have a view out of small rooms...my room had no direct view but when I walked out of the room I was on a balcony that had a wonderful view of the lake...for me the breakfast is simple but tasty according to the other members of the tour as I only eat fruit and tea for breakfast...the meals are setved on top of the roof of the haveli...in the day and at night the view of the lake is fantastic...I looked at a number of rooms and they are nice...a good value...I read some of the negative reviews and did not find the same issues they had so maybe it was just a bad day...the owner Janardan Singh is a nice man and likes to greet everyone and chat...I will return to this Haveli and the value is excellent...

Room Tip: The rooms on the lake have small window so think the top rooms are very large and have nice view of...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Indonesian first
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My husband accidentally booked us in here for four nights for their best lake-front suite. We arrived by train around 9:30 pm and at reception the staff said they were surprised we were there, although we had emailed them of our late arrival. They showed us to a suite which was newly painted with no decoration, a blanket and two large dirty floor cushions on the bed (no bedspread). In order to see the lake-front, one was supposed to take a 3 foot step up (without a step or step stool) to a window with a 2' by 3' space where one could not stand which was covered in bird poop. It was hardly there best suite and we couldn't wait to leave the next morning.

Public spaces in the haveli were not well-maintained: cushions and cushion coverings were filthy. It was a beautiful old building but the owner is no hotelier. It would not take much to turn it into a nice hotel, but it showed only signs of neglect. Breakfast was passable and the view from the terrace was nice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Property & its location is really excellent and gives you value for money. Rooftop restaurant is superb! Rooms are nicely maintained & gives you royal heritage feeling, Might be we got the best room from the property from where we got a excellent view of the lake.
Now comes the sad part ! Even though property & its awesome location they are not giving the service which matches that. Very limited breakfast without any variety. But overall experience is good , very nice manager!

Room Tip: Go for lake view rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Deliciously spiced veg thali on rooftop terrace with spectacular views of palaces and lakes served by the owner, cooked by his mother. Veg from the family estate 60km away. Refreshingly simple and charming.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Whanganui, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Great character residence in the old city with very tasteful modern Indian decor.Watch the sunset from the rooftop restaurant. Very friendly, helpful staff. We felt like guests of the house with excellent personal.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Lisle-sur-Tarn
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My wife and I really liked this Haveli.

The rooms were good and the best part was breakfasting, dining or simply having a beer on the rooftop terrace with the fabulous view of the lake. In my opinion the food was good - maybe not the best we have had in India but certainly of a decent standard and reasonably priced.

I especially appreciated the rapid response help from the manager when we found that our train ticket to Mumbai had been wrongly dated and he managed to organise a driver and flights at very short notice so we could catch our pre-booked flight to Kerala.

Note that there are quite a lot of steep stairs to climb so it's not suitable for anyone with a physical handicap.

Room Tip: Definitely worth paying the extra for a lakeside view if one is available as the "partial lakes...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Khulna
Reviewed 20 November 2013

With apologies to my friend, I wish to comment that my stay at this hotel was a very pleasant experience, and I found the "elderly manager" quite charming. I have no doubt that an altercation took place, but I think that it was the result of cultural differences and misinterpretation on both sides. The hotel was comfortable and the rooftop is a fabulous location to pass some time lookingout over the beautiful lake. I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends