“Search no more. This is THE place to be!”
Review of Kankarwa Haveli

Kankarwa Haveli
Ranked #51 of 163 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Initially we planned for a 4 days stay. Once we actually saw our room we booked it for a week and we ended up staying for 10 days. The place is absolutely wonderful, every detail is taken care of, the staff is beyond any expectation and the organic breakfast is more than you can wish for!
It felt like we were real maharajas playing hide & seek around the beautiful haveli, which is more over situated in the heart of old Udaipur just on the banks of Lake Pichola.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with the view of the lake. The sunset is breath taking!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kankarwa Haveli

Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

We payed more than we usually do for accommodation in India but felt well rewarded. Our room was so bright and beautiful, it felt palacial. We even had coloured glass panes and arches similar to those found in the city palace. We had a sitting area with windows on three sides with nothing between us and the lake. We were drawn to spend the late afternoons sitting in our room with the windows open enjoying the view as the sunshine poured around us. The sunsets were amazing!

If you can afford a room, do it, but plan to spend a lot of time in your room.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I had a great stay at Kankarwa Haveli. The staff was very helpful and the room was clean and nice. The only issue was with the street boys outside the entrance who kept telling me they were going to my country for an art exchange. I heard other guests say they had the same thing happen to them, but they were just trying to sell me things. Don't pay attention to them! Besides that unfortunate happening, the stay was great.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We had booked this after reading its reviews in outlook magazine where it featured in India’s 100 exotic hotels and it exceeded our expectations. It was exactly like the way it was described in the book. It was a good break from conventional 3 and 5 star hotels. Managed by a family, this is a perfect place to soak in the local flavor and enjoy beautiful Udaipur. No two rooms are the same. Our room offered lovely view of the lake. Food served on the roof top was tasty and I had one of the best pickle in this place which was home-made. If you want to do nothing, relax by lake side, read novel, stay in a historical place, rejuvenate yourself and want a break from routine hotels, this is a perfect place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed at this charming haveli in November end. We opted for the room at the top which was huge and very well decorated. The view of the lake was splendid. The staff was friendly but there was no option of room service which was inconvenient. The breakfast was good and service was prompt. Must try are chocolate pancake and masala omlette. The reception and foyer is tastefully done up and there is an authentic feel to the place. All in all it was a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We actually arrived in Udaipur a day earlier than we had booked at Jagat Niwas (next door), so I had the pleasure of staying in both places and comparing them.

Both were standard rooms - about the same cost (2300ish INR) and Kankarwa was 10 times better.

Hot, beautiful water. Luxurious shower experience. A real bed and real covers. We had an amazing sleep. The room also had a little window into the very pretty courtyard. The room was spacious and we felt spoiled.

Didn't notice any problems with the service, and we were especially happy they had a room available for us at short notice. Had we not paid for Jagat Niwas already I would have stayed here hands down for the remainder of the time.

The breakfast was good too, although the night we arrived the restaurant wasn't open. But fear not! Because Jagat Niwas has an amazing restaurant open to everyone, and literally next door - just go there for food! Best of both worlds.

For the price, and the hot water (which Jagat Niwas failed at), and the divine room - this was perfect.

We used the courtyard wifi.

Location was great - being on the water and easy to get to the main attractions and shops.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel are the rooms. They are very well decorated and traditional haveli style. The views are great of Pichola lake.

The service however was awful. They forgot my laundry and gave it to me a day late and still charged me full price. They forgot to clean my room after telling me to leave the key with them if I wanted my room cleaned.

And from their restaurant I got severe food poisoning. Causing me suffering for 5 days.

And in the manager's attempt to compensate, he so 'generously' didn't charge me for my poisoned food and took just 1% off my final bill. He then tried to charge me 3% for paying by card.

There are plenty of other much nicer hotels on the same street to stay at. I wouldn't recommend this one.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo