“Poor Value Room, Rude Staff, Good Location”
Review of Kankarwa Haveli

Kankarwa Haveli
Ranked #42 of 153 Hotels in Udaipur
Beijing, China
“Poor Value Room, Rude Staff, Good Location”
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I reserved 4 nights at in a standard room for 1 person for 2200 rupees. I checked out after 1 night.

When I checked in, the reception staff showed me the room. The room had 2 single beds and I asked if a room with 1 large bed was available. He told me that I should have requested a large bed when I made the reservation and I could just push the 2 beds together. I also tried to confirm that breakfast was included in my price. The staff member told me it wasn’t. When I started to explain that the email I received confirming the reservation said breakfast was included, he abruptly and rudely told me I could speak with his boss in 30 minutes. When I went down to retrieve my passport I showed him my printouts of the reservation request, which included a request for 1 large bed, and confirmation of the free breakfast, he again responded that I should just push the bed together as that was just as good as 1 large bed. When I checked out the next day, the same guy tried to charge me 200 rupees for the rather poor breakfast. I reminded him that I showed him the email confirmation saying breakfast was included, and he relented.

The room was a very poor value. Although large, it was quite dark and very sparsely furnished, lacking any décor whatsoever. The few pieces of furniture in the room were nice, but there was only 1 picture on the wall. The walls were completely lined with shelves and nooks that were left completely empty. There was 1 wall light and 2 table lamps on the bed stands. However, only 1 lamp could be used since there was only 1 outlet on that side of the room. The hotels website also says standard rooms have a partial view of the lake, while this room had none. The 1 small window in the room faced the hotel courtyard and if the curtain is left open, there is no privacy.

The hotel is in a good location, right beside the lake. The common area courtyard was also nice. The bed was comfortable and they have good quality bed linen as well. This hotel has many positive reviews on Trip Advisor so many of the rooms must be nice. This standard room was terrible though. It seems to have been completely neglected by the hotel. In addition, the rudeness of the staff member is unforgivable.

I moved to a much nicer standard room at a lower price of 1990 rupees at Jaiwana Haveli, which is practically next door. I got a terrific room with large windows and a great view of the lake. The food is better and much cheaper.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank BangkokFarang

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Indonesian first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We found this hotel after seeing 4 others hotel in the area and I'm glad we finally came to this place! It's run by an elegant old man. Our room had a small balcony looking over the lake, the decoration was simple but it was really lovely (wood, old mirror, colorful cushions and blankets, etc). We enjoyed staying in a peaceful place like that after a tiring day in the streets, surrounded by people.

The hotel also has a rooftop restaurant. we were there in low season so it was a bit empty and we didn't eat there, but we enjoyed staying in a chair looking at the see (beautiful view).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 November 2010

At first we didn't get a room at the Kankarwa Haveli, so we ran around the town an checked the greatest part of the hotels on the east lake side. The simple fact is, that it is the best place around there. In the end we were lucky and spent a wonderful relaxing week at the Kankarwa, the rooms are perfect, the bathrooms are really clean, the staff is lovely and the lady of the house is overwhelming. And by the way, a dinner on the rooftop is pure romance... View of the Rooms on http://www.kankarwahaveli.com/Location.html

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 November 2010

this Place is one where you should stay longer... We stayed 1 week there and enjoyed every second. It's a very clean and beautyful hotel with relaxed and friendly staff. All the waterfront rooms have a magic view to the lake and the hotel Lake Palace. Only on the terrace you will find a better view. It's very quiet because it's at the end of an small street, so no rickshaw horns. The Palace, Shops, Restaurants and Temples are near , what do you need more in Udaipur?

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2010

We only stayed for one night but wish we could have stayed longer! We had the most amazing room with a beautiful view over the lake. The staff were so helpful, I was sick while staying there and the owner called a doctor to our room within fifteen minutes! The restaurant was also very understanding and made me whatever I wanted for my sensitive stomach. My mother wasn't sick and had the thali which was delicious. There is a no tipping policy which we found refreshing, with a common tip jar for the staff. The room was huge and very clean. It was also very quiet at night for sleeping, something very rare in India! Location was perfect, close to sights and jetty for boat rides. The building itself is heritage listed and is beautiful and well looked after. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed November 2010
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2010

The location can hardly be better, in the centre of the old city and on the lake, yet quiet.
The view of the lake palice and gahts was fabulous.
We had a room with a view on the courtyard and the lake

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Henk W
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 October 2010

This was without a doubt my favourite hotel in Rajasthan. Simply decorated with whitewashed walls, spotless white curtains, cool daybeds with colourful cushions and lovely wooden furniture, it was a pleasure to stay in. Very stylish without being too try hard which I thought some of the other hotels can be. We had a twin room at the cheaper end of the scale which was fantastic value esp. in comparison to some of the places we stayed in the other cities, but we did get to look at some of the more expensive rooms and I think they are well worth the extra as they were all lovely. And for once the rooftop terrace really did have an 'amazing' view over the lake!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends