“Superb Hotel with stunning views...”
Review of Kankarwa Haveli

Kankarwa Haveli
Ranked #44 of 156 Hotels in Udaipur
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Superb Hotel with stunning views...”
Reviewed 3 February 2011

We booked the night before online before travelling from Delhi and were very pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The satff were kind and even gave us the option of 3 rooms [from which we chose a huge room with lake views] for no extra cost.
The location is superb and breakfast was nice and easy with a stunning rooftop terrace view across the lake and city. The room was enourmous and beautifully decorated with a large open ut window that had the lake beneath. A brilliant place in a stunning setting...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We got in at 1am and were shown to our rooms. One was on the ground floor and one was on the 2nd floor (though I had requested that we be given rooms on the upper floors).

I had been expecting lax service, in a beautiful setting, based on previous reviews. And yes, they didn’t straighten up our room during the day, which was fine. But, I didn’t realize that the lady of the house would actually yell at us. She misunderstood our request that the kitchen make breakfast for our friends who were just waking up as breakfast-time ended at 11am, thinking that we wanted to eat a second breakfast and our friends wanted to eat a thali. When we met our friends in the dining area after stepping out to buy some toiletries, and asked why she’d told them that they couldn’t have the breakfast she’d agreed to prepare for them, the lady raised her voice to say that she was sure we had asked for a second breakfast for ourselves and not for our friends. She put the uneaten thali on our bill and we didn’t contest it, but I was really surprised that she would argue and raise her voice with guests.

Paying the bill was also somewhat confusing. In addition to the uneaten thali, we had been charged for a pot of tea that was delivered to someone else’s room. The second morning, the lady told me to order the “namaste breakfast” because it was included with our room, but then we were charged for ordering the same breakfast on the first day. After the staff member made a call, these charges were removed.

However, Janardan was helpful, chatty, responsive over email, and helped book us a car for an overnight trip outside the city.

Overall, we still enjoyed our experience at Kankarwa, because the good location and beautiful views from the windows of our suites meant that we didn’t have to get in a car to experience the beauty of Udaipur. We could easily walk to the City Palace and had a lovely dinner next door at Jagat Niwas. The space heater was helpful in December and the room was more tastefully decorated than I’d been expecting based on the pictures I’d seen. If you’re tall, watch out for your head when entering the rooms.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 18 January 2011

we got a simple not clean room. The view was wonderful, the attitude of the manger was awfully rude. the staircases are too steep and very dangerous (specially for kids).
The maintenance is poor, very weak water flow in the bathroom.
The only advantage of this hotel is the location!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We had two rooms for two nights at Kankarwa Haveli, both lake-facing. The rooms themselves were very nice, particularly the double (someone else has posted photos, the green room with the lovely windows) although the single room just off the courtyard on the ground floor was a little small - but attractively decorated.

The location is excellent with views from the roof terrace of the Lake Palace hotel and the splendid City Palace rising above. Perfect place to watch the sunset with cold beer and a plate of pakoras. The breakfast was poor value - and not worth it if not included in your tarriff. Go next door to the Jagat Niwas Palace which is superb - both for dinner and breakfast. In fact, if you can get rooms there instead I would suggest that is a better choice. The Haveli is nice enough but the Jagat Niwas is a cut above.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Beijing, China
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I reserved 4 nights at in a standard room for 1 person for 2200 rupees. I checked out after 1 night.

When I checked in, the reception staff showed me the room. The room had 2 single beds and I asked if a room with 1 large bed was available. He told me that I should have requested a large bed when I made the reservation and I could just push the 2 beds together. I also tried to confirm that breakfast was included in my price. The staff member told me it wasn’t. When I started to explain that the email I received confirming the reservation said breakfast was included, he abruptly and rudely told me I could speak with his boss in 30 minutes. When I went down to retrieve my passport I showed him my printouts of the reservation request, which included a request for 1 large bed, and confirmation of the free breakfast, he again responded that I should just push the bed together as that was just as good as 1 large bed. When I checked out the next day, the same guy tried to charge me 200 rupees for the rather poor breakfast. I reminded him that I showed him the email confirmation saying breakfast was included, and he relented.

The room was a very poor value. Although large, it was quite dark and very sparsely furnished, lacking any décor whatsoever. The few pieces of furniture in the room were nice, but there was only 1 picture on the wall. The walls were completely lined with shelves and nooks that were left completely empty. There was 1 wall light and 2 table lamps on the bed stands. However, only 1 lamp could be used since there was only 1 outlet on that side of the room. The hotels website also says standard rooms have a partial view of the lake, while this room had none. The 1 small window in the room faced the hotel courtyard and if the curtain is left open, there is no privacy.

The hotel is in a good location, right beside the lake. The common area courtyard was also nice. The bed was comfortable and they have good quality bed linen as well. This hotel has many positive reviews on Trip Advisor so many of the rooms must be nice. This standard room was terrible though. It seems to have been completely neglected by the hotel. In addition, the rudeness of the staff member is unforgivable.

I moved to a much nicer standard room at a lower price of 1990 rupees at Jaiwana Haveli, which is practically next door. I got a terrific room with large windows and a great view of the lake. The food is better and much cheaper.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank BangkokFarang
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We found this hotel after seeing 4 others hotel in the area and I'm glad we finally came to this place! It's run by an elegant old man. Our room had a small balcony looking over the lake, the decoration was simple but it was really lovely (wood, old mirror, colorful cushions and blankets, etc). We enjoyed staying in a peaceful place like that after a tiring day in the streets, surrounded by people.

The hotel also has a rooftop restaurant. we were there in low season so it was a bit empty and we didn't eat there, but we enjoyed staying in a chair looking at the see (beautiful view).

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 November 2010

At first we didn't get a room at the Kankarwa Haveli, so we ran around the town an checked the greatest part of the hotels on the east lake side. The simple fact is, that it is the best place around there. In the end we were lucky and spent a wonderful relaxing week at the Kankarwa, the rooms are perfect, the bathrooms are really clean, the staff is lovely and the lady of the house is overwhelming. And by the way, a dinner on the rooftop is pure romance... View of the Rooms on http://www.kankarwahaveli.com/Location.html

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple