“Unbelievably frustrating staff” 2 of 5 bubbles

The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur
Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Udaipur
“Unbelievably frustrating staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I live in India, so I'm somewhat used to the frustrations presented by the Indian idea of customer service, but the Lalit Laxmi had it down to a science. Yes, the hotel grounds are quite beautiful, but the rooms themselves are nothing too exciting. Upon arrival, we were impressed by the dancing horse, but after getting into the room and finding out about the excessive charges for the Internet use and the fact that only one device could be connected, we definitely got off on the wrong foot. From there, things only got worse. The dinner we had in the buffet was decent at best and we were floored to see what we had been charged. After that, we went back to our room and tried to order some sodas that never got delivered. I called down to let them know I wasn't pleased, and the managers response was, "We'll see you at breakfast." I responded with, "And I will see you on Trip Advisor." Well, that was the wrong thing to say because the next morning at breakfast everybody in the entire restaurant was groveling and hovering all over me trying to apologize. It was beyond annoying. Another very irritating aspect of our stay was laundry service. We sent our laundry down without looking at the prices first (which was our mistake), and boy did we pay for that (literally). Our charges came to over $60 for really very few clothing items. What a rip off! When we went to check out, after two nights there, our bill was over $200. We couldn't believe it. They also tried to charge us over $30 each for a breakfast that we had already paid for. Nice try. If you're considering staying here, think again...unless you like getting nickeled and dimed. Oh, and my favorite part, they ask for guest feedback on iPad when people check out. As I was checking out, they could tell I was very annoyed with my stay, and the woman at the desk didn't ask me to fill out the electronic feedback form. I asked her why she wasn't asking me to, and she lied and said that it was being used. Anyway, I got it and let them know how I felt. I don't think anything will change though. You just can't fix stupid.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bjk127

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a lovely hotel overlooking the Fateh Sagar lake, on a hillock. Maintained beautifully, the old mini palace is quite charming on the inside and outside. It does have more of a boutique hotel feel than the other five star chain hotels, which makes it quite a lovely experience. The staff are friendly and very courteous and helpful. Rooms are spacious too. Ours faced the lake and it was simply lovely to wake up to the view of the lake and watch the waters and life from the roomy bay window.
There is a basic play area for kids.
The food is priced high, but if you're a tourist in Udaipur, you will mostly be spending the day outside and eating out as well.

Room Tip: As the hotel is built along the lake, there are rooms that face the lake and one row that face the r...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AnuGummaraju
Bhaskaran T, General Manager at The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur, responded to this review, 10 February 2014

Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and ratings on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that not only did we live up to your expectations, but exceeded it. Your comments and ratings will help us keep our spirits high and strive harder to provide seamless and intuitive service.

I have discussed your feedback in detail in an appropriate forum. The entire team Joins me in thanking you for your kind words and we look forward to have you staying with us soon.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Be warned if you stay overnight during the holiday season. Hotel charges 7000 rupies (about $115 US) for mandatory dinner. This was fine print in the confirmation and required when I arrived. Mandatory dinner is outside so you can freeze while they take your money; plus loud music is blasted.

The rooms are barely an upgrade from the 3 star hotel where I paid 80% less the night before in Jodhpur. There is no heat in the room and only one blanket which is even more unpleasant after freezing outside for dinner.

The rooms are not sound proof. You can hear the echoing of everyone walking and talking down the hallway, and opening and closing their doors. Sleep quality is poor.

Internet is only for one device. You must buy a separate plan for every device you want to connect to the Internet.

Yes it is pretty overlooking the lake but that is all it has going for it. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank GHamp23
Earth City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

The Lalit Laxmi Vilas is located on top of a hill overlooking the Udaipur valley. The properly is an extremely well maintained palatial building, which used to serve as a guest house for colonial British officers. The walls, floors, paintings and decorations are all marvellous. There's even a massive 24ct gold painting in one of the presidential suites.

That said, we stayed in a valley view room. It was a little misty and cold when we visited, so the view and the climate was beautiful. One can stroll around the estate where the hotel is situated and soak it all in, in the beautiful gardens.

The staff are nice and happy to help, but it somehow felt that they weren't very well trained, especially when compared to the staff at the Trident in Jaipur where we had stayed the day prior. The food is good, but nothing to rave about.

Overall, an amazing property in an amazing location.

Room Tip: Ask for the valley view room on a higher floor
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

The fort location is around 10 minutes drive from the Railway station and 30 minutes from the airport. The resort has around 55 rooms and have a good view of Fateh Sagar Lake from the front rooms. We had a welcome with dancing horse which was incredible. We were there for our conference & had a great experience, right from the stay, food, conference facility .They have a good restaurant. The food was amazing and could not expect anything better than this. The rooms are spacious . Conference room was arranged with Maharaja style seating which really bring in the Rajasthani touch. Overall rating for this place is 10 out of 10 on my personal experience

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side have good view of the lake.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bhaskaran T, General Manager at The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur, responded to this review, 8 January 2014

Navi Mumbai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Great staff, good rooms and room service, great location. A good experience overall. The restraunt service was a bit slow though, which was a bit of a dampner. Really liked the lake view from my window and the folk music and dance in the evening. Good experience over all.

Room Tip: Taking a room with the view of the lake is totally worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

I have discussed your feedback about slow service in detail in an appropriate forum. The entire team Joins me in thanking you for your kind words and we look forward to have you staying with us soon.

India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Perched on a hill top overlooking the fatesagar lake this is a premium property. Rooms are large and luxurious. Good sleep is guaranteed. Evening entertainment like dancing horse at the entrance and puppet show adds to the charm. Few good restaurants like 1559 AD is within a km away. Staff is courteous.

What prevents the property from leaving an everlasting impression in the mind are few things.

As someone who stays frequently in high end property; i found the staff making no attempts to understand your needs. This is unlike a Taj where relationship is build. You carry great memories of not just the building and lawns but the people who go out of way to make your stay special. Like charming chefs who enquire about how you are finding the food and what you would like to have. All this makes a difference in a family vacation. This feeling is missing in this property.

The big let down is the 24x7 restaurant called Padmini. The food is extremely overpriced and nothing to write home about. To make matter worse portion size is small and you walk out with wallet significantly lighter and stomach empty. You should plan your lunch/dinner outside. You will not only save money but have a great experience. Thankfully the hotel frontdesk helped me with booking some good place for my dinner- Ambrai and 1559 AD. There is another open air restaurant in the property which I didnot try due to my experience with their restaurant Padmini. Breakfast at Padmini is like other 5 star properties. Good breakfast. Restaurant space is also small and I had to wait to get my breakfast table. The tea was served long after I finished my breakfast after multiple reminders.

The front part of the property has a wonderful sunset point with backpiper music at sunset.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and ratings on Tripadvisor. Your comments and ratings will help us keep our spirits high and strive harder to provide seamless and intuitive service.

We have noted your feedback about Food and Services and have have discussed in detail in an appropriate forum for immediate remedial action. The entire team Joins me in thanking you for your feedback and we look forward to have you staying with us soon.