“Very nice property and helpful staff”

The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur
Ranked #14 of 156 Hotels in Udaipur
Ahmedabad
“Very nice property and helpful staff”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This was my family trip to Udaipur this January. Infact it was our one year old son's first trip ever. Everything was just perfect right from our arrival till our departure. We were welcomed in a traditional way with musicians playing music and a person making a horse dance for our arrival. A hostess was waiting right at the entrance with garlands to welcome us. She escorted us to the reception where the welcome drinks were served. Our check in took precisely 3 minutes and check out took less than 2 minutes. I was very impressed with the express check in and check out. The rooms are quite big. we chose the lake facing room and it had amazing view of the Fateh Sagar lake from its window. A nicely presented platter of chocolates was there in the room for our welcome. We had asked for a baby cot which was already there in the room. It was a high quality mom & me product. They had also kept a teddy bear inside the cot for my son. My wife just called to check if they had a small tub to bathe my one year old son, and there came a house keeping guy with an infant tub, a bucket, tumbler and a stool for ease in bathing our child. The breakfast spread was lavish each day. Mr. Nilanshu was there at the Padmini restaurant who made sure to arrange a high chair for our child and was very pleasing. Overall, each and every staff made sure that our stay at The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace is one of the most comfortable ones.
Ill give a 5 on 5 to the hotel staff, service, room size and amenities proviede. But I have rated it 4 star just because of its location. For those who wish to stay across the Fateh Sagar lake, this is the best tranquil property. But all the main attractions that we were interested in, including a few romantic dine out places were located across lake Picchola. Although commuting from here to places around lake Picchola doesn't take more than average 15 min, but still I prefer to put up bang on the place which has the attractions Im interested in. Also, since neither the rooms, nor the lobby is carpeted, at times the noise of the luggage trolleys or people dragging their luggage could be a little bothersome for some.
Overall, the services exceeded our expectations.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms give one of the best views of the Fateh Sagar lake and the Nehru garden
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Bhaskaran T, General Manager at The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

I have discussed your feedback in detail in an appropriate forum. The entire team Joins me in thanking you for your kind words and we look forward to have you staying with us soon.

Bhaskaran. T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Overall, we were very satisfied with the hotel, accommodations, proximity to various palaces, the restaurants, etc. The rooms were spacious and overlooking the lake. The restaurants accommodated our special meal requests and the view was amazing overlooking the lake. I even hit the gym which had several machines which were adequate for my purposes. Don't expect a 5 star gym but it serves the purpose. The staff was helpful. My only complaint was that they charged us Rs. 1500 for a mattress which is ridiculous.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kishor D
Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and ratings on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that not only did we live up to your expectations, but exceeded it. Your comments and ratings will help us keep our spirits high and strive harder to provide seamless and intuitive service. We do charge a nominal amount for the extra occupancy which will cover the extra bed and also the additional breakfast. However we have noted your concern for appropriate remedial action.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

With the exception of one lovely waiter we had terrible service here. We were booked for four days over Christmas and it was supposed to be a luxurious treat during our two week trip to Rajasthan. However from the moment we checked-in we had issues.
We were told it was “mandatory” to pay 5000 rupees (around £50) for a Gala Dinner on Christmas Eve, despite the fact we didn’t check-in until 10.30pm after an 8 hour train journey, which the hotel was aware of as I had emailed them a few weeks earlier to arrange a pick-up from the station. The price and “mandatory” nature of this charge was not mentioned in my booking information and of course we didn’t want to go to a Gala Dinner. However the staff on the front desk just kept insisting it was mandatory and it was impossible for them to remove the charge. Their attitude was terrible, they didn't seem at all interested in sorting things out for us and it completely ruined our stay there. After quite a lengthy exchange with one of the front desk staff I asked to see the manager, I was told that the manager couldn't come out and see me as he was too busy. I found this very un-professional and rude. It took 48 hours to resolve this, we were eventually told we wouldn’t be charged. At no point did anyone apologise.
The arrogance of a company who feel they can charge you a mandatory fee of 5000 rupees (which is an awful lot of money for dinner in India), for something you were unaware of, didn’t request and certainly didn’t want is beyond me.
Smaller niggles include very thin walls, so you can hear all the comings and goings in the adjoining room; a “lake-view” with barely a view; and having to pay for internet access, the only place we were asked to pay in all India, despite this being the most expensive hotel by a long way.
Then to top it all we found out on our return to England we'd be charged twice for our stay, an over-charge of over £550! This has been resolved, but I had to phone them twice and email before anyone got back to me. The second time I called they offered to phone me back until they heard it was an international number, then they changed their mind and expected me to hold while they looked into it.
It looks pretty, but I wouldn't recommend it and we're sorry we chose to stay there. There are far nicer places, with much more helpful staff, charging a fraction of the room rate here.
I would like to add that in my 43 years I have never complained about anything while staying at a hotel, or given any hotel a bad review, this really was exceptionally poor.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Unfortunately only stopped here one night and was booked by ExtremeBikeTours when we did the 5 Star Rajasthan tour. The hotel section is relatively new and very well appointed. The main palace building is the reception and dining areas. The rooms are large, quiet and with air-conditioning that works well. Staff are most courteous and the food is excellent. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: There are two views, across the lake and across the city. Lake views are at front and the second flo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Very very satisfied with the overall experience that we had in the hotel on our family trip to Udaipur. The USP of the hotel is definitely its location. The rooms are spacious, neat and are comfortable. The check in was very swift without any hitch. The hotel organises Folk Dance and Puppet Show each evening, which were liked by the kids a lot. The staff was very very friendly and co operative. Special mention of Mr. Neelanshu Gupta for being very friendly to the kids and at time going out of the way to fulfill their demands.

Room Tip: Lake Fatehsagar Facing Rooms are Good. Valley view are fine too..
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback about Neelanshu. It is indeed encouraging.

I have discussed your feedback in detail with the entire team. The entire team Joins me in thanking you for your kind words and we look forward to have you staying with us soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Best thing about this Hotel is its Location, its campus, Location of this hotel is quite good and it is situated on small hill from which there is a decent view of Lake Fateh Sagar.Campus was also good but with no Swimming Pool or for any other activities .Breakfast was good.
Room was good but not spectacular. It was well maintained but not big what I was expecting in this Price Range.
Problems I faced with this Hotel was that it was overpriced as per what they provided, a rip off type attitude,also as per my surprise they didn't offer any complimentary internet.
I didn't see good level of Hospitality from staff and they were just doing their duties, During my departure, I was being asked to fill feedback form but only for the sake of being filled, even lady at the reception didn't even looked at it.
I could have given good rating to this Hotel but services they provided didn't match the money they charged and most importantly their brand name.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Namaskar!

Thank You for your review. On behalf of the entire team at The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and your valuable feedback. Your feedback about the customer service and overall quality of stay has been duly noted and discussed with the entire team for immediate corrective action.

Much as we strive to deliver an exceptional quality of service to all our guests, we regret that we have not been able to measure up to your expectations this time. I would like to assure you that this is a one off incidence and may i urge you to not let this be an indelible perception.

We remain firmly committed to the ethos and values of hospitality and customer centricity and in accordance, look forward to regaining faith and confidence in the brand and i hope will grant us an opportunity to serve you with renewed focus and enthusiasm.

Look forward to meet you during your next trip.

Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel is located facing fatehsagar lake. Rooms are lake facing. Rooms were nice and bathrooms were clean. Housekeeping staff are very friendly and warm. Special thanks to chef suraj and staff Nita for awesome food. Kids enjoyed evening horse dance show and puppet show.

Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review!

I am glad to read that we were able to serve you with the highest perfection and professionalism in all aspects of hospitality and delighted to know that your stay has made you an ambassador of The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur.

Thank you very much for your comment.

We all at The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace look forward in welcoming you back in not too distant future.

Bhaskar