“Great rooms but with some staff issues”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Mahendra Prakash
Ranked #14 of 175 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The hotel is renovated from an old residence of Udaipur's royals. Rooms are graet in cleanliness and ambience but the location is quite far for a walk to city center and attractions. The pool is a great relief after sightseeing in a hot summer day. However, it's a pity that the hotel allows guests from outside to use the pool, so resident guests are inconvenienced from time to time by pool beds hogging and crowding. Hotel staffs are not so attentive. As a solo girl traveler, I felt uneasy with hotel staffs (all are male) gawking at me most of the time, especially when I was at the pool. I know I have East Asian looks which is considerably rare to be seen among the hotel's usual guests (mostly caucasians) but such behavior is absolutely inappropriate.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 May 2014

If you are looking for a nice homely environment, with the relaxing environment, then this hotel is one of the best option available in Udaipur. The staff is very friendly and they have a nice pool garden to relax. Only drawback is the food quality, which if improved further will make it a near perfect place to stay. Location wise, it is very walking distance to the Palace and other attractions can be visited through an auto. We loved this place very much and will stay here the next time as well.

Room Tip: Try getting a room (generally room size are small but good well maintained) on the ground floor, nex...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014

If you're travelling with friends, I do not recommend this hotel. These guys prefer families as their guests. We called them for room inquiry and they told us the rooms are not available. We then checked on agoda and found the rooms were available and booked it as it was at good location and budgeted.

The room service is not good. They don't even serve you cold water and extra towel in such May heat. However, the breakfast was good. The staff is helpful but the room service is not that much appreciative. We had booked rooms with extra bed but we just got bed sheets handed over to prepare our extra bed on own. This was not professional.

However, The swimming pool is excellent and you can really enjoy your time there.

Go for this if you're travelling with your family but not recommended if you're travelling with friends.

Room Tip: Take a room with pool side view. It is the spacious one.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The staff of this pleasant hotel is doing an excellent job! Very vriendly and warm, they really make you feel at home as if you the only, very special guest staying with them.
The hotel is also great: nice, atmospheric rooms, well kept, a beautiful garden with a very nice swiming pool.
The breakfast is also great.
Absolutely recommendable for everyone (singles, couples, families with small kids) who is looking for a very friendly hotel close to the entrance of the City Palace in Udaipur.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Of the 12 Hotels we stayed in during our 5 weeks travelling around India this was by far the best. My husband and I were fortunate to stay here for 4 wonderful nights, even though my husband was ill during some of that time, we still managed to have an overall good experience. We arrived at the Hotel at 7 am extremely stressed after a horrendous overnight train journey. Although we couldn't book into our room straight away the staff made every effort to get us booked in as quickly as possible and we soon began to relax due to the general calming atmosphere. The room we stayed in was spacious clean and comfortable with nice views of the garden and pool. The Hotel is a wonderful old Haveli with traditional and homely touches everywhere. The Hotel is in a good position for local attractions but manages to be quiet, calm and peaceful, especially the garden with pool area which has a tranquil atmosphere and has 3 large tortoises roaming around. All of the staff were excellent having a professional yet friendly manner, nothing was too much trouble for them and the manager had a refreshing sense of humour. The Hotel has definitely got the balance between service and friendliness just right. We would recommend the food at the Hotel; there is a varied breakfast on offer and loved the homemade jams which mix fruit with various complimentary spices and are a really nice touch. We ate all our evening meals at the Hotel, and thought the food was tasty and a reasonable price. During our stay I had the most amazing massage for 1750 INR a bargain and worth every penny, again I would highly recommend. We left the Hotel feeling totally relaxed and a little sad that we were not staying for longer and as though we were leaving friends. The manager even upgraded the car we were travelling to our next Hotel in to ensure we were more comfortable as my husband was still ill. We would like to thank all the staff and obviously recommend this as an excellent place to stay in Udaipur and hope to one day return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This hotel was recommended to me by my neighbours in Mumbai, and I don't regret going.

Hotel facilities: The hotel itself is beautiful, nice courtyard, beautiful swimming pool. The wifi is free and works VERY well (probably the best I've had in India so far). Restaurant... so- so... the breakfast was not great but okay (bread, jam, cereals, eggs & one Indian Option)... Room for improvement here would include invest into a higher quality of juice (really not good canned juice) and maybe more bread variety. I only had one meal at the restaurant and it was a bit weird, it was meant to be baked spinach pasta... it clearly wasn't baked, and it tasted like pasta drenched in garlic & parsley butter... not awful, not great... So all in all, wouldn't recommend eating there (but I heard the Indian options were okay from other guests).

Room facilities: the room very clean, very big (I had room 22 on the first floor, overlooking the pool, it was nice and quiet), nicely decorated with lots of cute details and I love the mini balcony with the "seat" over looking the swimming pool.The bathroom was very nice too, also very clean, with some toiletries (one small soap, a bottle of shampoo & a dental kit). Only weird thing is that I had to do my bed when I arrived (no big deal here, and it's probably because they changed my room at the last minute). A complimentary bottle of water wouldn't go amiss though.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the hotel and I'd go back myself, the swimming pool was such a nice touch (and big too), the room was spacious, comfy & beautiful... definitely a great choice.

Room Tip: Room 22 was great, quiet, spacious, cool balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed 4 nts with Mrs and 8 yr daughter. Triple room, top (2nd) flr, balcony, ante-room, AC, nice clean shower with plenty of hot water. Place spotlessly clean. Service really friendly and not intrusive at all. Lovely team there. Nothing too much trouble. Extremely helpful guys on reception. Nice breakfast of either indian options or American b'fst with eggs any way, coffee, tea, juice, fruit, cereals. Rooms really comfortable and a generous size. Excellent value for money. We loved our stay there. Def one of the nicest places we have stayed in India. Would strongly recommend.

Stayed: April 2014