“An oasis of calm - with good staff”
Review of Karohi Haveli

Karohi Haveli
Ranked #51 of 156 Hotels in Udaipur
Exeter
“An oasis of calm - with good staff”
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Staff managed to fit us in at the last minute even though busy. Lovely room - honeymoon suite. Very clean and nicely decorated. Fantastic views from the rooftop restaurant and good food. Nice internal courtyard and pool area. Manager on the front desk was very helpful and allowed us to use the pool, courtyard and store our bags for the whole day after checkout. We would go back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stemalpul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Amsterdam
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and me had a great time staying at this hotel. The rooms are clean and have a lot of character. The pool is lovely!
The staff was wonderful, always friendly and helping out. They even let us use the office computer for booking a flight.
The restaurant on the roof has excellent food! And the view is beautiful!
One small disappointment: the pool was packed with non-guests in the afternoon, being guests of the hotel we didn't have a place to lie down and relax. This was a bit of an inconvenience.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ventura, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My sister and I appreciated the stunning location, very pleasant patio and staff. The restaurant location was very beautiful, the food ok. This building until just a few years ago (~6 or 7) was a family residence and has been nicely renovated. We had the good fortune to celebrate Holi in Udaipur for which Karohi Haveli staff put out food and whisky in the patio.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Leslie O
Rybnik, Poland
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Hotel is very clean and the staff very nice and flexible. They arranged for us a very good camel safari and were very helpful all the time. Hotel is located just outside the fort and since we did not want to stay within the walls it was perfect for us.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Freshu
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The only Heritage hotel on my three week itinerary and after soaking up Karohi Haveli's charm, I wish I had experienced more of the same in every city! Oozing with local flavor and charm, comfortable, clean and extremely friendly staff made my too short, two-day visit perfect. I could walk out the door and cross the bridge in minutes to the Old City. I could get anything I needed in a few minutes walk - water, food, gifts. The staff were beyond helpful and friendly and had the ONLY chocolate I saw on a menu! Their rooftop restaurant was amazing - great food and equally amazing views. It's not the Ritz by any means - it's a charming, ambient, affordable and comfortable, quiet place to experience the beauty of Udaipur.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room with lake view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LaTourMimi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Being from Mumbai, my husband wanted to see family. Not being from Mumbai and having been ONLY at the familial homestead on previous trips, I wanted to actually SEE India outside of the streets of Mumbai. A very adept travel agent that has serviced the extended family for several years set us up with a trip which included Udaipur. Based on reviews from this and other travel sites, we chose Karohi Haveli as our lodging. While the view was very nice, the rest of the haveli was disappointing. The first thing that is noticeable is little things that are old and in disrepair; cracked walkway tiles, rotting door jambs, tired-looking restaurant, outside lights not all working. While the rooms were neat and clean, there was no pizazz to them at all. The furniture is minimal with one tiny armoire, one TV stand and 2 hard wooden chairs. There are no amenities except for the omnipresent (and very small) bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and shower gel. As an example, my husband and I used up the shower gel the first morning -- and we were using it sparingly. It was not replaced the next day.

You will not find hair dryers in the rooms. A call to the front desk did yield one being brought to our room (hooray!), but that evening, I was stopped by the manager who told me that I "had his hair dryer". I explained that in fact I did have the hair dryer, which had been brought up to me, and added that it was still in the room on the TV stand. WELL! He chastised me for not returning it promptly to the front desk. (Mind you, nothing had been said to my husband who opened the room door to receive it.) Because of my negligence other guests in the hotel were not able to dry their hair! After all, they only have two hair dryers for the entire haveli. Seriously? I was then told I needed to return it right away. I was cautious because of the fear that the manager was accusing me of pilfering the appliance. Upon second thought, I should have told them to send someone up for it instead of my taking it down -- from the fourth floor with a bad back.

We did not eat meals in the restaurant except for the breakfast that was included. The breakfast fare was sparse, especially if you do not eat eggs. Go with toast or muesli and fruit. The staff, however, was very attentive and willing to bring fresh, hot toast instead of the buffet table toast that had long become soggy. They also took the orders for omelets. You can get cold milk (as opposed to hot by the coffee/tea) and juice, but you have to ask for it.

Did not use the pool. Nice enclosed sitting area with real, upholstered furniture AND magazines.

For the price we paid, we could have stayed in a double room at the Jagat Niwas Palace for INR 100 less! Our suggestion is to look around at other options. If this is the only lodging available for your travel dates, Karohi Haveli will suffice. Just remember to bring your own hair dryer AND soap!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynn S
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here in feb this year, and had a lovely experience. The hotel is very traditional in it's decor, proper Rajasthani style. The location is ideal, we found that most of the sights were walking distance from the hotel e.g. City palace is only a 10 min walk and jagdish temple only 5 min walk. The staff were really helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough for you, even on our last day they had arranged a packed breakfast for us as our flight was super early. There was a lovely rooftop restaurant too and they must have served some of the best dishes we tried in udaipur. The views were also lovely. The surrounding gardens of the hotel were beautiful too. Would love to come back.

• Stayed February 2014