Mountain Ridge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$51
US$45
  • Breakfast included
US$70
US$46
Hotel Aashiya Haveli(Udaipur)(Great Value!)
US$34
US$31
  • Free Internet
Hotel The Tiger(Udaipur)(Great Value!)
US$12
  • Breakfast included
US$99
US$35
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The house itself is beautiful, luxurious and serine. Amrit and his family were wonderfuly welcoming and I really enojyed the guided walk we took around the local area. They also arranged a horse ride for me with a local provider which was a wonderful experience. The food was also pleantiful and tastey and we were always asked if we wanted anything in particular. This was the last stop on a month's holiday which had been manic and I really enjoyed being in the mountains surrounded by wonderful scenery and having time to read and relax. Fantastic place! Only negative was that the pool was empty, that would have been the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Every room has an outside balcony and provide fantastic views!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The house is a bit difficult to find, the first time, because it is tranquilly situated. But that's exactly why you book a room! And the tuk-tuk-drive to Udaipur is about 20 minutes.

The house is very special. We met a couple of Europeans, living in India and a Argentina people, a great experience!

The "manager" of the house is very gentle!

Patricia

Room Tip: we had a thin matress, but it was no problem to give us one more!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I'd come to Mountain Ridge with a friend three years previously and had fallen in love with the family. This is very much a family and they make you feel part of it from the moment you enter the door. Although Piers (the owner) is now often in Nepal, we found ourselves in the trusty hands of Amrit, his second in command, a charming joker who was always ready to offer us some fresh lime or orange if we looked a little parched! You can join in as much or as little as you like-I spent quite a lot of time in the staff chatting with the very amiable staff and watching them prepare food; always allowed to join in of course. NO hidden charges here, quite the opposite and very much a help yourself attitude which made me feel utterly relaxed and like part of a family. Breath-taking views-pink sunsets, beautiful rooms, a very convivial feel-I will be returning as soon as my next holiday allows!

Room Tip: every room is boom-ting
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was by far our most memorable vacation, thanks to the amazing hotel staff. The staff at this hotel really try hard to accommodate your every request and the service is generally excellent. If you want something, just ask. They rarely say no to any request. Even the housekeeping are warm and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2013

As two 22 year old backpackers, we were initially blown away by just how beautiful this place is, the landscape, the surrounding farms, the interior of the place itself. After spending time in hostels and bog standard homestays, this was a beautiful one nights rest where I could relax and read my book, and my girlfriend could paint her nails, have a bath, and feel clean doing it!

I do have a couple of things I want to clear up though, this place is NOT for backpackers, unless you have money to splash, this place is very expensive, we could have stayed for 20 days in the place were staying in Udaipur for the bill we paid here after just one night.

Also, we were in touch with the owner, Piers, via email and he made us aware that the pool was not full due to dry spells in Rajasthan, I was pretty gutted about this but Piers told me that there was a 'Secret waterfall nearby that has a plunge pool, a little piece of heaven' which I was more than happy with, though when I then asked him where it was, he told me it would cost around 1600 rupees for a taxi to take us there and give us a couple of hours swimming. To be honest I thought this was ludicrous, as Piers hadn't offered any sort of discount for the fact of the pool not being full, though because me and my girlfriend had been so excited about Mountain Ridge, we went anyway. Once we arrived we asked the tuk tuk driver who had picked us up about the 'secret waterfall' and he simply said that it would probably have dried up, and that lots of people are usually there anyway, so again this was gutting and we never got to swim as we had wished!

Overall the place is stunning, but for the money you pay, you would expect at least the food to be reasonably priced, but it was 410 rupees a head and very confusing as to what you are going to be given as there isn't particularly a 'food menu'. Another bone to pick would be that you are promised A/C in the rooms, but it isn't A/C, its an air cooler, which if anyone has had a room with one of these they will know it is impossible to sleep with it on, as it sounds like a plane taking off. I must admit the A/C thing really did annoy me, as for the price you are paying (and also because Piers insisted me the rooms had air conditioning), I really did expect to walk in and have an A/C room, that's lying Piers!

Maybe if we went to Mountain Ridge in High Season we would have gotten to get to know the Nepalese family that I had read about, and maybe Piers would have taken us to the Secret Waterfall himself but it just seemed as though we had a very fragmented experience at Mountain Ridge as to what it COULD have been, which is a shame, especially considering there was no give on the price with it being low season.

I would definitely recommend Mountain Ridge for the quality and cleanliness of the place, and if nothing else, for the beautiful sunset and sunrise views, and also the Nepalese couple who were there for us were very friendly, but it just wasn't what we were expecting. A definite no-no for backpackers.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AdamSmiff
Kentishguy, Owner at Mountain Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

This is a piece taken from my website, describing one of the rooms. 'the temperature of the room, thanks to cavity walling is very moderate - cool in the summer and arm in the winter, but an air cooler is fitted if additional cooling is required." Nowhere do I state or even imply that we use air-conditioners. Air conditioners are not at all eco-friendly and further more they provide a pretty good route to sore throats and colds, so we never have and never will use them. Regarding the waterfall, you asked the wrong person. Had you mentioned it to Raju, who was looking after you, you would have got the proper response. I'm really sorry you missed it, as NOBODY ever goes there, apart from us and a few tribal kids, and it NEVER dries up. As you also mentioned, it is secret, so whatever the rickshaw was referring to, was not this waterfall! He wouldn't even know it. Regarding the Rs.1600 or so that it would cost to get there, well I can promise you that we do not extract so much as a rupee in commission. Prices are what they are, and you 'gets what you pays for'. If a taxi driver was to take passengers into the depths of the countryside for several hours, he would have to wait around, so of course it costs fuel, vehicle and his time.

About the meals, we serve table d'hote. I know very well that one can still get very cheap food in some places in India.. I can also enjoy a kachuri or a samosa at a roadside dhaba for maybe Rs.15 and sometimes I enjoy that. Having said this, we are not into that type of market. Mountain Ridge has only five rooms and is expensive to upkeep. Bearing that in mind, we cannot afford to offer budget anything, and therefore we prefer the more upmarket but excellent quality approach, so our food is the very best, and we use olive oil, balsamic vinegar and other ingredients that cost hugely more than the basic.