“Great hotel”

Hotel Krishna Niwas
Ranked #91 of 175 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I stayed at the Krishna Niwas in early September. The location of the hotel is very centric and convenient .My room had a partly lake view and it was beautifully decorated with art work of the owner Jairaj .At the hotel I took two great Indian cooking classes from Susma-the hotel Sheff. On the front desk ,Digvijay was very helpful and friendly . I would stay here again when I'll be coming back to Udaipur ! .

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 September 2009

Prior to arriving in Udaipur I had not made any arrangements for accommodation, I knew I wanted to stay by the Lake area and thought I'd check around a bit and then choose.

As luck would have it I happened upon the doorstep of the Krishna Niwas. I was drawn in by the spacious, bright and welcoming entrance hall and immediately upon entering was offered a seat and refreshments (probably looked like I needed it ! ). After a friendly chat I had a look at a few rooms, which had meticulously hand-painted borders and ceilings. This was done by the husband of the house Jairaj, who I learned was quite a renowned artist. The room itself was cosy with two single beds, it also had a divan placed just in front of the window from which I had a fantastic view of the Lake Palace. There was both AC as well as a fan, cable TV and an ensuite bathroom.

To my delight I also found out that Sushma, the lady of the house, gave Indian cookery classes. As it turns out she was a veritable Julia Child of India! I am now armed with the recipes looking forward to trying out my newfound skills on my friends back in Europe!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Mandarika
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We stayed at the Krishna Niwas in early September during the Monsoon season (which is usually not the best time). We were lucky enough to have beautiful sunny weather and a full lake which we had an amazing view of from our room. The room itself was beatifully decorated with art work painted by the owner Jairaj (you can also purchase it from a shop nearby). On the first floor is the cooking classroom which his wife runs. We took a two hour cooking class to learn how to make three delicious curries and various breads which we ate at the end of the class. The kitchen is very well designed for cooking classes and Susma is a very experienced and patient teacher. She makes the base ingredients herself, including spices, so if you are passionate about your food like us, you will agree this is a great place to learn about Indian cooking. Then there was Digvijay on the front desk who is possibly the most helpful person we have come across; there was nothing he couldn't arrange for us. The location of the hotel is also very convenient as it was only a 3 minute walk to the City Palace or the Lake (so no need to haggle with the Auto drivers). Without doubt we would stay here again if we were coming back to Udaipur and that is saying something giving the amazing hotels in this area.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2009

The staff offer a warm welcome and the hotel has a pleasant spacious reception area to dump all your luggage on arrival. The stairs can be good for fitness but the view of the lake and palace from the room is worth the climb. The room was clean, the a/c efficient and mozzie free in the room (compare with the walls outside the room !) The rooms were relatively spacious and comfortable and there was a rooftop restaurant for breakfast. The room was Rs1650 @ night for 4 people which was fair value. The location is very good and only 10 minutes walk from the major attractions. There is a shop next door for honestly priced water and goodies. This is a good hotel and I would recommend this to friends without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I spent here 3 days in this nice hotel. The staff is great, nice and kind. The room is awesome, clean, big and the view of the lake is very beautiful. They have all the facility and also a fantastic cooking class with a very very good teacher. I spenta here a really good time and if you are in Udaipur you can miss this hotel. Came here without problem you will be happy.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2009

It was a heritage property. Rooms were not spacious and room services were pathetic.

They were also not very helpful giving info about surrounding areas.

The View was good.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 31 January 2009

We arrived to a warm welcome from the manager who filled in the boring check doc's you face at every hotel for us and served us with ice cold complimentary bottled water. We were offered a choice of rooms with a lakeview which were small but clean and well furnished.

The rooftop restaurant offerd wonderful views over the lake and the palace but sadly could only offer basic breakfast.

The shower was the only real downside here as it wins our record for the most tempermental in India - freezing one minute burning the next - we had to resort to the asian way of washing mixing the water in a large bucket - but hey when in rome etc etc.

We didn't find the staff un helpful or too pushy in fact one of the brothers gave us directions to the restaurant we wanted to eat in and advice on how much to pay the auto rickshaw - our hot tip eat with the local on station road at Natraj - all yopu can eat thali for 80rps and absolutely fantastic food!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple