“Staff very accommodating but average hotel”

Hotel Krishna Niwas
Ranked #62 of 161 Hotels in Udaipur
Sydney, Australia
“Staff very accommodating but average hotel”
Reviewed 15 November 2010

The staff at Krishna niwas were lovely and very accommodating, even after we'd messed up our booking. The room we had was ok, with a small view of the lake from the window, but the sheets were dirty. It was quite noisy at night too. The restaurant only served breakfast and bottle water was room temperature. There was a nicer view from the roof top but as they didn't serve dinner it was fairly dark and deserted unfortunately. The building itself though was beautiful, the owners are artists and there are lovely paintings everywhere.

• Stayed November 2010

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Krishna Niwas for five days after doing some work in New Delhi. I found the staff incredibly helpful and friendly. The highlight was definitely taking a cooking lesson from Sushma. I have cooked Indian for family and friends since returning to Canada and it's made a big hit. I even have my daughter regularly eating whole wheat -- the easy to make chapatis were a real revelation. I really wish I could have taken more lessons. I also really enjoyed the art lesson we took with Nairaj's brother. My wife didn't believe I did the elephant painting myself. The hotel was very clean and I had a nice quiet room. The value was really quite incredible. I highly recommend it. Digvijay is a huge help and quite a delightful guy. It's an incredibly interesting place, very beautiful.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2010

This is a good hotel - nothing great but a good standard three star. The staff were very nice and caring. The room (and the hotel generally) were reasonably clean and had great views across the lake, which I really liked. The rooftop had great views too.

The breakfast they served was nice, nothing outstanding but quite good. They threw in a free pick up from the airport which was great.

They offer cooking classes which I didn't get the chance to try but the lady running them was very nice and friendly and the kitchen looked very clean.

The only negative thing was that I had two A/C units right outside my window which were very noisy at times when you are trying to sleep, but they didn't go all night, fortunately.

I thought it was good value for money.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Udaipur, India
Reviewed 3 October 2010

very nice people who are friendly, helpful and to be trusted. We had a wonderful stay where we had the opportunity to rest, refresh and relax. It's a bit more expensive for a budget traveler but definitely good value!
We took the cooking class and we saw with our own eyes that Indian food can be good and tastefully without getting sick! The hotel had also suggestions where to eat healthy in town.
Clean and good!
We had a great time. Udaipur is a great lovely place, and this hotel helps you to enjoy it!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
vb
Reviewed 30 September 2010

My wife and I stayed in September 2010 for 5 amazing nights. Krishna Niwas is in a perfect location with easy access to the major sites within walking distance. It is also easily accessible by both the bus and train stations. Enticed by the wonderful aromas from the in-house kitchen, my wife took a cooking class with Sushma which we happily enjoyed afterwards. The rooftop view of the water offers spectacular sunsets. Unable to find decent henna artists in town, Sushma was able to arrange for an artist to show up at the hotel and provide lovely henna in a homely environment. All the staff were eager to help and offer insight into the magical world of India. The in house art and the warm family hosts brings a slice of home to Udaipur. We'd stay again for sure.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The Hotel, Krishna Niwas is a fabulous experience. I wish that i had booked to stay longer but am on a tight timetable to travel India in two months. The hotel staff are wonderful and cater for your every need while also providing lessons in both cookery and art. Digvijay (manager) was very knowledgeable about the local area and helpful in poiting me in the right direction every day with a smile, even let me use the computer to deal with internet contacts.
The location of this hotel in Lal Ghat provides it with an enchanting view of the lake palace :) I enjoyed looking out from my window in room 104 for the two mornings i was there and then moving up to the rooftop cafe area with stunning views of the lakes, palaces, temples and mountains.
Sushma's cookery lesson was fabulous with an interesting insight into just what goes into Indian cuisine and i made my first samosas and chapatis - which were a great success and i will try again at home. Sushma's breakfast was a delight every morning, i particularly recommend the banana porridge :)
When i return to Udaipur i will certainly be staying here again and would recommend it to others :)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2010

This has been one of my favourite place in India.

The staff were really friendly and the room was comfortable with a decent view of the lake, although you paid for it by trekking up quite a few stairs! It's also in a much quieter spot than some of the other hotels we checked out.

The cooking class was pretty solid: the food was very tasty (but also very salty) although I would have preferred to have been a bit more hands-on.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple