“unique place”

Hotel Swaroop Vilas
Ranked #40 of 177 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 16 April 2013

we enjoyed two nights bed and breakfast here.
we arrived late in the evening but did double check the day before to inform of this and that they were still expecting us.
sadly on arrival the night staff were not aware of the booking and after being shown a few rooms we did in the end get the suite we had booked.
all the staff were friendly and polite and lots of them to help with all your needs,its a bit of a maize but rather enjoyable to look around as it is a little unusual in a nice way.
the suite we booked was huge and really lovely, the only thing i would say is if you are touring and want to sleep well take ear plugs as the wailing starts very early from the temple.
but this could happen anywhere not just here.
breakfast was ok nothing amazing but you are in deepest india by now.
i did have a massage in the spa, be aware you have to pay them cash at the desk in the spa at the end,you can not put on your account.it was very good.the treatments i feel were a little expensive here,im sure they would be busier if the price was more competitive .
the internet signal was a little difficult at times to use.also the safe had no instructions how to use it and as they are all different from hotel to hotel, this is a basic requirement and needed.
overall a nice clean hotel but could not give a 5 as things did not run smoothly all the time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Friends we went last year to this hotel....rooms were good, food was ok but better to book it 1rst and go as they will charge more if u directly go there.....n no discounts.....location was ok....the wierd was massage staff v just enquired for the charges there n said if v get time in evening v will come ......but then v got late in evening which v informed them... so next morning my husband wanted to go 4 masage and as he went they forced that even ur wife should take pakage as u both enquired for it....then the lady (masager) keep on ringing phone bells in my room which disturbed my sleep.....finaly she came to the room n disturbed me n forced me to take massage.....ny how i agreed for that as she told me i have not booked ny one else as i thought u will come.....the massage was with dirly smelling oil which i had allergy for didnt even offered disposable clothes to me.....my clothes got dirty smell with the dirty oil and she didnt even cleaned me after massage all the pack was on me which i had to clean my self and i had to take bath 3 times for clean all that stuff.......horrible experience with that stupid lady....i will not suggest u all to use there spa services and dont even enquire aboout it..........

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Udaipur is a delightful place and we enjoyed our 3 night stay at this hotel. The rooms were very spacious and our balcony was huge and over looked the lake which was lovely at sunset. This hotel is in a great location and I loved the brass elephant door handles throughout the lobby. We went for early morning walks around the lake and it was close to other attractions. Breakfast was OK - not as good as other hotels we have stayed in whilst in India but the staff were willing to do anything to please. We enjoyed the pencakes (actually pancakes)We ate dinner at the restaurant one night and it was a good local Indian meal and the staff were extremely pleasant.
The swimming pool was very clean and refreshing after sightseeing. I also had a cucumber scrub and steam bath in the spa which was an experience.
Housekeeping people were pleasant but they did keep hovering around waiting for a tip.
I accidently left my credit card at reception after paying our account. Within 15 minutes they tracked us down through Four Wheel Drive India who called our driver. The card was returned to me by a man on a motor bike. A lovely story and I thank them most sincerely for this act of thoughtfulness and honesty.

Room Tip: Ask for the Elephant room. It has the biggest balcony I have ever seen overlooking the lake - so lov...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2013

A conveniently located, well maintained, well furnished hotel, it was a pleasure to syat at Hotel swaroop Vilas. Not so large as to seem impersonal, yet not claustrophobically small, the courteous staff, the sumptuous breakfast and prompt service added to it's charm.

Just a few minutes driving distance from ' Chetak ', visiting popular sightseeing spots is quick and easy. Nothing is too far, whether it be The City Palace, Saheliyon ki baadi or Fatehsagar Lake.

A good place to stay !

Room Tip: You may not want to spend extra for lake facing rooms. The hotel has a lovely terrace for all guests...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The hotel has good location with a peaceful surrounding. Nice interiors and service. Slight improvement is needed in the quality of food. But overall a nice experience and shall love to stay in future when ever we visit Udaipur.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2013

It is a heritage hotel which looks pretty good from outside. Inside the rooms the lightings are dull, bedsheets are not clean, and overall it looks quite old and shabby. Restaurant is expensive and food does not taste good at all. The buffet breakfast (which is included in the room tariff) has very limited spread. The service in the restaurant is also very poor. However, I liked the view of the lake and swimming pool from the room's window. Also, they had a place near the window of the room where you can sit and admire the morning sun and the light reflecting in the lake. Overall, I would say an ok hotel to stay just do not try the restaurant.

I stayed here for 3 nights in Feb 2013

Room Tip: Choose the lake view rooms to stay
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This hotel was chosen for me by colleagues in Udaipur. On the plus side, it's opposite one of the lakes and rooms at the front of the hotel have a very nice view. The hotel is within easy reach of nearly anywhere you might want to go. I walked from the hotel into the old town area. The rooms are clean and spacious. On the downside, calling it quaint is to be kind. The hotel is a bit tired and run down. The breakfast is hardly worth the effort, very limited with the same choices every morning, no fresh brewed coffee (they will open the packet of instant coffe at the table for you though) and haphazard service. Breakfast and dinner, I found the food uninspired, okay but rather like the cheap Indian take away place near my home (actually, that place at home might be slightly better). This is definitely a tourist hotel, there were two large groups there during my stay, but really inadequate for business travelers. They have wireless Internet and you get one hour free daily. In theory you can arrange more than one hour, but good luck with that. I thought I had arranged several hours, but was cut off at one. By the time I got down to the desk and got a new password I had lost that hour's work. The front desk staff aren't extremely helpful, in arranging Internet service or suggesting places to eat other than their own restaurant or in arranging transport. Fortunately, being a tourist hotel taxis and rickshaws are easily available just outside the hotel. The one real plus was the rooftop bar....great view and two very friendly and attentive waiters. I would certainly stop by for a drink at the bar, but I'll stay elsewhere next visit to this wonderful (and amazingly friendly) city.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business