“Beautiful hotel with excellent service and extremely nice staff!”

Hotel Swaroop Vilas
Ranked #41 of 165 Hotels in Udaipur
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I was at Swaroop Vilas with my family. We had very beautiful rooms. The entire hotel has a very nice architecture. Also with a swimming pool and it is directly located at the lake of Udaipur. The staff was extremely friendly. We had to leaye the hotel very late in the evening and had checked out already. But we still received towels to use the swimmung pool and we even got a room, where we could have a shower and get changed.
We can absolutely recommend Swaroop Vilas! Great value for money. If I will ever travel again to Udaipur, I would definitely choose this hotel again!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Meilenweit

Reviewed 18 July 2010

Three of my friends and I arrived on 13 July 2010 at approximately 9pm after a very long road trip. The hotel lobby had recently been renovated with gorgeous moisac tiling. I thought I was in for a real treat. We were greeted by the manager and wêre given two bedrooms in the old wing (which faces the river). The rooms were 307 and 308. I was initially okay with the rooms, but my friend pointed out that the ceiling near the entrance in room 307 was badly damaged (will post photo later) and she said that the old wing smelled very musty, so we were given two rooms in the new wing (room 407 and 408). The new room was significantly better but when i pulled the bed cover from the bed, I noticed mould on the underside of it. The manager who was in the room at the time said to me, 'You don't sleep on the bed cover, you sleep on this' as he pointed at the blankets beneath. After a very late dinner at the hotel restaurant (food was pretty good and waiting staff very friendly), one òf my friends retreated to the bedroom for shower and rest. When i returned to the room half an hour later, my friend told me that there was no hot water to the shower. A house keeping staff attended 15 minutes earlier to check on the water and told hẻr to wait 15 minutes for the hot water to come through. We kept checking on the hot water for the next 15 minutes (so half an hour since the house keeper attended the room) but thể was still no hot water. The house keeper also told my friend that he would return to make sure we had hot water but never came back. We then complained to the receptionist who also told us to wait 10 more minutes for the hot water to come through. After waiting a total of 40 minutes for hot water that never came, the receptionist gave us two new rooms upstairs. The receptionist (who was extremely friendly) apologised and told us that this problem has never occurred in those two rooms before. When we changed to the new room, my friend showered first but by the time it was my turn, the water was only luke warm and turned cold very quickly (the same also happened to my friends staying in the other room). The bedsheets in the new room also had stains on them. I understand that in a third world country, nothing is ever completely clean. But this time seeing dried red stains on the flat sheet really grossed me out (I did not have this problem with the 4 other hotels I stayed in India during this trip). When a house keeping staff changed the sheet for me, I noticed that there was also a cigarette burnt mark and a large blue ink stain on the bedsheet (I really regret not taking photo of the sheets at the time). The next day, after breakfast we spoke with three other guests at the hotel and they said they also had the same problem with the hot water. The receptionist moved us back to the old wing (again it was room 307 and 308) saying that there was a problem with the hot water service in the new wing but old wing has hot water. I stayed in room 307. The room appeared to be quite clean at first (even though it was a bit old) but as soon as I opened the door to the bathroom, I noticed two baby cockroaches on the hand washbasin and another one on the toilet. I noticed another cockroach on the dresser table (it climbed onto my friend's shampoo) and two other cockroaches on the floor. Iquickly went to the reception and asked for cocokroach spray. The receptionist told a very young staff to get a 'spray'. The boy picked up a spray bottle of pink liquid which later turned out to be just a cleaning spray. I then complained to the manager and he said he will send someone over. Half an hour later, a house keeper attended my room with a very small can resembling that of body deoderant. He started spraying when I asked him to stop and show me the can. He reluctantly showed me the can which mind you, was completely empty. The writing on the can was in French that says 'Insect repellent' (the type you spray on the body). It was probably left behind by some guests. I told the house keeper that the can isn't even cockroach spray not to mention that it was completely empty. I told him at this stage that at a large hotel like this, they should have cockroach spray. To their credit, they did return with a brand new can of cockroach spray half an hour later, but this episode has totally ruined my experience at their hotel. There was also mouldy shower curtain in the bathroom.

I would have quite enjoyed my stay at this hotel had staff members told us upfront that there was a problem with the hot water service the first time we complained (instead of making us wait for 40 minutes for hot water that never came). And had they been better equipped with their pest control. I felt as though the house keeping staff thought I was stupid when he tried to use an empty can of insect repellent. I will post photos of the cockroach when i return to melbourne.

In genereral:
Decor - beautiful
Cleanliness of room - The room itself appears clean but ẽxpect to see stains on sheets/bed covers and mould on shower curtains.
Staff - Very friendly but not always able to deliver the service you need.
Restaurant - Breakfast - good variety. Dinner - not bad quality
Pest control - poor in old wing. No pests observed in New wing. At least not in the rooms I was in.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Fonty1212
Reviewed 15 May 2010

Udaipur is known for its lakes and palaces,I visited from Mount Abu and accidently booked this hotel at Mount Abu. The hotel overlooks the lakes,
the staff is attentive . The food is OK , and the pool is the perfect way to beat the heat. The rooms are clean and offer great views, the beds are comfortable, The hotel offers a decent value for money and is suitable for Budget tourist.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SHARMASPTRAVEL
Reviewed 11 May 2010

After hectic weeks of travel, this place was truely just what the doctor ordered. A quiet spot with beautiful views, spacious, comfortable rooms with great views, and a staff who anticipated our every need. The pool is beautiful and private. The rooms have great features like reading nooks and strong AC. Its a short walk from all the action of old town Udaipur and the Lake Palace. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a relaxing time being taken care of by a wonderful staff.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank caitmcq
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Udaipur is known for its lakes and spectacular palaces, and the Swaroop Villas should be added to the list of anyone planning a visit. Its location is quiet and overlooks the lakes, the staff is wonderfully attentive and not over-bearing, the food is excellent, and the pool is the perfect way to beat the heat. The rooms are clean and offer great views, the beds are comfortable, and I particularly enjoyed the window sconce and seat with a book. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2010

Hotel is in a well situated place within walking distance to town.
Staff is arrogant and unfriendly!! Good sightseeing good food for tourist catered restaurants.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2010

Beautiful hotel overlooking looking Lake Swaroop and a short drive to the old town. The bedroom was large, comfortable and clean with a window seat overlooking the roof terrace. Some rooms have a balcony overlooking the lake.

We ate in the large restaurant our first night with perhaps only another six people so there was absolutely no atmosphere and even no background music. The service was extremely slow and when the food arrived it was very disappointing. In fact, the worst meal we had in our 28 day tour. At breakfast the toast was so rubbery we couldn't eat it.
It had been left out for some length of time.

On our second night we ate at Restaurant 1559AD and had a very good meal which wasn't over expensive. The restaurant is a short walk from the hotel, back to the main road and second left. We recommend eating here rather than the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple