“The best place to stay in Madurai on your leisure or business trips.”

The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Madurai
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was here on a leisure trip with my family. This property (more than 60 acres) is located on top of the hill Pasumalai. The road leading from the main road to hotel is breathtaking. You can view Madurai city from the gardens surrounding the cottages / rooms. The rooms are furnished to the needs and maintained well. During day time you will be having lot of feathered friends especially peacocks. You can see group of them walking around in the garden.
The restaurant is well laid out for breakfast and dinner. You can enjoy south Indian cuisines in the garden having the company of peacocks.
The staff is very friendly and helping. But this review will not be complete without mentioning some names who made our stay memorable. They are Mr.Indranil Ray, General Manager and Mr.D.Vinpugal, Front office Manager. Both of them ensured that we had a comfortable and memorable stay. A special thanks to our driver Mr. Bala who took us around and showed us all important places which we enjoyed. And he took us to authentic south Indian restaurants for lunch which we really enjoyed. The experience is so good, and we promise to return to this place for our next holiday. This property gives a feeling of staying in a hill station.

Room Tip: Cottages / rooms on the side of the hill near to the restaurant is having good view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank epsreekumar
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai!

At the very outset, may I thank you for patronising this hotel in course of your family vacation in the city of temples.
While perusing through your review, I was delighted to note the kind words of appreciation pertaining to your stay experience in my hotel.
As you had so aptly described , this hotel is perched atop the green hills of Pasumalai, comfortably tucked away in the lap of mother nature, slightly away from the hustle bustle and the urban frenzy of the chaotic city. Sought after for its colonial architecture, this hotel has very comfortable, aesthetically designed rooms and the property is spread over 64 acres of lush green landscape. The best part of this property is the proximity to one of nature's most beautiful creations, the majestic peacocks who abound in plenty and literally feed out of our guests' hand.
I must say that I was immensely thrilled on reading through your feedback which mentions that one can have a leisurely breakfast on the verandah facing the lush green lawns of our coffee shop and gaze and mingle with the peacocks.Actually, one can also indulge in stroking the squirrels as well.
I have taken the liberty to share your compliments with my team members and the Exceutive Chef John was over the moon with your appreciation of the cuisine spread , especially the regional delicacies and the kitchen brigade have been ecstatic since they read through your comments. Vinpugal, the Front Office Manager and the chauffeur Bala were extremely taken up with your genorosity and this would eventually lead this motivated team to exceed our guests' expectations as we continuously strive to achieve operational excellence.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next family vacation to Madurai.
Assuring you of my best attention and services at all times.

There are newer reviews for The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel complex for three night while on business in nearby Tirumangalam.

The hotel is located away from the hustle and bustle of the city and temple and is a bit of an oasis up on the side of a hill overlooking the city.

Check in was quick and easy. There are a fair amount of stairs but it my memory serves me correctly there were ramps every where for differently abled individuals.

The rooms are divided up amongst smaller units around the property so it may be a bit of a walk to your room from the reception area. I didn't notice if there was a lift in our unit, only used the stairs to my room on the second floor. There are 16 rooms per unit, 8 on each floor.

The rooms were quite nice and very clean with laminate flooring in the main areas. A large armoire as you entered with plenty of space to unpack. A digitally coded safe kept my passport, cash and iPad safe at all times. A second armoire held coffee/tea service and a mini bar.

The bathroom was clean with modern amenities, granite counter tops and a very nice glass enclosed rain shower. No tub in my room, but I prefer showers anyway.

The room itself was quite large with a king sized bed, desk working area and two large (slightly dated) sitting chairs with a occasional table. The bed was very comfortable and I didn't hear a peep from the other rooms. The view from my window was overlooking the lush grounds and swimming pool area.

There are many resident peacocks around the grounds who can easily act as your wake up call as they begin their loud vocalizing around 6AM each morning. I found it enchanting but I can see that some travellers who would like to sleep in might find it annoying. An inexpensive pair of earplugs would resolve that issue easily.

It was a short walk from our room to the dining room where we had breakfast each morning and dinner our first evening. The service was excellent on each occasion. There was a buffet on offer each breakfast and on the one evening that we had dinner. There was also an a la carte menu available should you not choose to enjoy the buffet.

We chose to enjoy the buffet each time and were not disappointed. There was a good selection of dishes to choose from, all hot and tasty. For breakfast there is an egg station set up where you can order omelettes or eggs of your choice and a small selection of western food. In my opinion why would you choose western food when in India and has such a broad selection of amazing Indian food.

Check out our last day was a breeze until I looked at my bill and realized that they had neglected to charge me for my room, they had only charged for my incidentals. This was quickly rectified once I pointed it out and our group of 6 were on our way.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone spending time in Madurai.

Room Tip: I believe I was in room 48. Lovely, clean with a nice view of the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank pmdugas
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Sir,
Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai , Madurai!
At the very outset, may I thank you for patronising this hotel in course of your three day business trip in the city of temples.
As you had so aptly described , my hotel is perched atop the green hills of Pasumalai, comfortably tucked away in the lap of mother nature, slightly away from the hustle bustle and the urban frenzy of the chaotic city. Sought after for its colonial architecture, this hotel has very comfortable, aesthetically designed rooms and the property is spread over 64 acres of lush green landscape.
I have noted your observation pertaining to the non existence of any elevator in the property and the reason for the same is that it would not have blended into the ambience and the aesthetics of the building and the surrounding property .
i do appreciate your feedback on the earplugs, sir, and have noted it as a scope for improving our services. As they say, the lord is in the details and the reason for our gratitude is that you have been able to escalate minute details that are extremely useful in diferentiating between a good hotel and an extremely well run hotel. The reason that I insist along with my Executive Chef in offering an international spread to our patrons is that we cater to all segments across the world as this hotel is also patronised by a lot of free individual leisure travellers as well as corporates frequenting the city and its neighbouring districts on business related trips. Thus, the spread for breakfast has a fair mix of western selections as well as a live staion that serves regional and local delicacies handcrafted by the specialist home maker chef on duty.
I do apologise for the inconvenience caused while your billing details were missed out on the team during your check out process and have taken up this matter with the concerned departmental head.
I do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next trip to Madurai. Hope this would be a leisure trip this time so that we can plan some more activities for you and a leisurely massage at the ayurvedic centre.
Assuring you of my team 's finest attention and services at all times.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great food. Good ambience. shud visit once. Location of the restaurant is excellent. You often see peacocks roaming here.
When you come here, you forget that you are in a city, you feel like you have come to a hill station.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Madurai!
At the very outset, may I thank you for patronising the hotel in course of your brief stopover at the City of Temples.
While perusing through your review, I was immensely delighted to note your kind words of appreciation pertaining to the quality and taste of the cuisine on offer which has been handcrafted by our Executive Chef John himself, the ambience of the lush green property situated amidst 64 acres of landscaped gardens, the comfortable and aesthetically designed spacious rooms with a colonial set up and the majestic, picturesque view of the city skyline as seen from the all day dining GAD restaurant .
This hotel , indeed , as you have correctly mentioned, is an oasis of tranquility located slightly away from the urban frenzy of the chaotic city and the stay experience is further ehanced with the priestine, almost breathtaking beauty of nature's supreme beauty, the peacocks, that literally feed out of your hands and contribute to the entire experience.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to Madurai City.
Assuring you of my best attention and services at all times.
Kindest Regards

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I accidentally landed in this hotel in Madurai and was extremely excited to see the main building of British Era. My childhood memories were all brushed up as I had the privilege to stay in similar bungalows in Ahmadnagar. The 64 acre property is a good place to relax and be close to nature. It can not be quoted as luxury hotel but a good hotel to relax and be away from worries and crowd. Close to nature with bird watching and feeding. A great stay. Value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank ejaz_nahri
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Madurai!
At the very outest may I thank you for patronising this hotel in course of your brief vacation in the city of temples.
While perusing through your review I was simply delighted to read through your kind words of appreciation pertaining to the ambience and comfort of the property, the peace and quiet of the surrounding environs, the lush greenery of the priestine landscape and the scope to mingle with nature especially in terms of peacock gazing and feeding, squirrel stroking and the ability to spot exotic birds whiest the green butler ecorts you on a nature walk across the jungle trail.It was heartening indeed to note that my hotel did evoke in you memories of your chidhood and it was like a walk back across memory lane to the locales of Ahmadnagar where you grew up amidst similar colonial environs and bountiful nature.

The Gateway Hotel in Madurai is an oasis of tranquility perched atop the green hills of Pasumalai, tucked slightly away from the urban frenzy of the chaos and pandemonium of the city. The main building is an epitome of colonial architecture.I take great pride in watching my guests entirely taken up with the sheer beauty of this heritage property that dates back in time as they soak in their tired senses in the calming , crystal clear waters of the luxurious hotel pool or find a charmed spot to relax and take in picturesque views of the Temple City and the Kodai hills.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next trip to Madurai.
Assuring you of me and my team's best attention and services at all times.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

A few minutes away from the busy streets of Madurai you find The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai located at a hill overlooking Madurai. The garden is spectacular and well maintained with beautiful Peacooks and there is also a nice pool. The rooms are spacious and clean. A spectacular stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LFredrikJonsson
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai!
At the very outset, may I thank you for your patronage of this hotel in course of your brief stopover in the city.
While perusing through your review I was delighted to note your kind words of appreciation pertaining to the ambience ,the peace and quiet of the property, the pool which is an oasis of tranquility amidst natures' glory , the comfort of the rooms and the majestic beauty of the peacocks.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to this jewel in the crown perched atop the green hills of the Pasumalai, amidst 62 acres of priestine luxurious green , an abode of peace and quiet tucked comfortably away from the chaos and pandemonium of the city.
Assuring you of my best attention and services at all times and definitely the promise to have your next visit filled with great anecdotes about memorable gourmet experiences that our Executive Chef specialises in.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel is beautifully set in landscaped grounds on top of a hill overlooking the city of Madurai.

We asked for an executive room which offers a lovely view of Madurai below from its first floor bay window.

The hotel is large and caters for both tourist and business use and therefore falls slightly between the two character wise. However it was beautifully kept, well managed and polite good service.

Rooms are in groups of buildings set around the grounds. Ours had a view of the City, while others are on the other side closer to the large pool looking out to hills outside of the city. We believe not all rooms have views. Our room was very large if a little spartanly furnished and slightly characterless. It did have good air-conditioning, and was comfortable, quiet and clean. It gave one of the best nights for sleep we had in India. I thing to treasure. The bathroom was large and well set out (not always the case even in the best hotels) and was perfect.

The restaurant which is in a separate building set just below the main hotel building offered a buffet dinner which was good but perhaps serving Indian businessmen as well as tourists, it was a little on the hot side for our European tastes. So if you like your food on the mild side take care. The waiters were very helpful and I am sure can help you. We chose to sit out on the veranda which was lovely as we looked out across the lawn at the wonderful view. You can also sit out on the lawn. Breakfast was again a buffet and offered, in addition to the usual, an assortment of indian breakfast food.

The main building, which is an older colonial style building, houses the reception but we did not need to use it other than checking in and out as its public areas were uninviting and appeared little (not) used. The airport baggage security machine tucked away around the corner of the reception foyer was a bit disconcerting on our arrival.

The gardens are well stocked with mature and interesting plants and are very well set out and maintained. They offered the opportunity to stroll around to take in Madurai below. Peacocks constantly patrol the gardens.

The pool, which is set away from the hotel down a long flight of steps (but with many bedrooms in nearby buildings) is large and nice to swim in. A spa, which we didn't have time to use, is set to the side of the pool.

Whilst our welcome was a little more mooted than most hotels we stayed in, we were sent off by the manager and staff with a very friendly goodbye and present of a small wooden box. I very nice and appreciated farewell.

Recommended.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to an executive room set up on the first floor and offering views out over the city...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FoodieArch
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Sir / Madam,
Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Madurai!
At the very outset, may I thank you for having chosen this hotel in course of your brief stopover in the City of Temples.

While perusing through the review that has been penned down by you, I was simply delighted to read through the kind words of appreciation. I have taken the liberty of sharing your notes and observations with my operations team and they were extremely thrilled to peruse through the same.
The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai is an oasis of luxury, an abode of peace and quiet in the lap of nature nestled atop a hill amidst well maintained lawns and facilities that include nature walks, jungle trails,24 hour inroom dining, a coffee shop that serves world cuisine and regional specialities, recreational activities and sports, a fitness centre and an azure blue crystal clear pool where one may unwind and relax away the stress of a chaotic city life.
My executive chef has noted your observation pertaining to the finesse and the spice levels of the cusine on the buffet and has already incorporated corrective measures to bring it on to the next level.
I have also shared your detailed note on the public areas of our colonial main building and do agree that we can work on the shine and appearance on the sharper side a little better and have already briefed the engineering and the housekeeping team to bring these concerns into shape.
I , along with my team members are also working on a more grand and detailed welcome experience which, I am sure, you will be delighted to experience on your next visit to the hotel.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back along with my team members on your next visit to the Athens of the East.
Assuring you of my best attention and services at all times,

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had visited Madurai in May and had selected this hotel based on the reviews. I must add that our entire experience was above all our already high expectations. Right from the beautiful property, the peacocks, food, the superb heritage ambience and to top it all the fantastic service from each and every staff. Must make a mention of Mr Vinpugal who made the difference to the entire experience from good to great. Right from arranging for a superb darshan to taking care of local shopping and accomodating our request for late check out, he was simply brilliant. There were other staff members also who were equally good (jyoti, Nalram, Nilesh, the travel desk, - some names I remember). Overall it was a great stay and enjoyed thoroughly by my family.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms on the first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai!
At the very outset, may I thank you for patronising this hotel in course of your short vacation in the city of temples.
While perusing through your review, I was extremely delighted to note your kind words of appreciation and have taken the liberty of sharing your compliments with the team. Nilesh, Nalram, Jyoti and especially Vinpugal, the Front Office Manager who organised the temple darshan seamlessly, and was accomodating while fulfilling your request for a late check out , were overjoyed on reading through the same and have thanked you for acknowledging their contribution in enhancing your stay experience.
I have taken note of your observationsespecially pertaining to the beauty , upkeep and ambience of the property, the efficiency, responsiveness and courtesy of the associates engaged in serving you and ensuring that you had a satisfying and memorable visit.
I have always motivated my associates in the team to ensure that every patron's expectation is exceeded .
The executive Chef himself designs and handcrafts the menu on offer in the reataurant and this goes a long way in maintaining the consistency, the quality and the supreme taste of the cuisine served.
The peacocks are the pride of this hotel situated amid 62 acrse of landscaped, luxurious greens.
I do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the Athens of the East.
Assuring you of my and the team's best attention and services at all times,
Kindest regards,