“Nice Stay :)”

The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Madurai
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Me and my wife have stayed in this hotel for 1 night. The property area of the property is huge and it is little outside the city. The staff and welcome was very good. They have upgraded our room also. The rooms are very spacious and excellent. you will get a lovely view of the city at night from the hotel. The service of the food in the restaurant could be be better though. I will surely recommend people to visit this property.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai!
At the very outset, may I thank you for patronising this hotel in course of your brief stopover for a single night in the city . While perusing through your review, I was extremely delighted to note your kind words of appreciation pertaining to the superior location of the hotel amidst 64 acres of lush green, well maintained priestine lawns, the warm welcome experience on arrival by the courteous and responsive associates and the aesthetically designed, luxurious , spacious and comfortable guest rooms.I have taken the liberty of sharing your kind compliments with my entire team and they are simply overjoyed after going through the same.
I have also taken note of your observation pertaining to the lack of attention to detail and responsiveness amongst the associates in terms of seamless service in the restaurant, have discussed this with the concerned departmental head and have initiated corrective action pertaining to the same.
I do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the Temple City .
Kindest Regards.

There are newer reviews for The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai

Reviewed 22 August 2014

For us, the real buzz of this hotel was in its colonial origins as I particularly love this style of archtecture. Happily for us, the heritage rooms were among the cheapest so we were thrilled. Our room was very spacious and tastefully decorated. It led through double doors to a smaller room with desk + chair as well as wardrobe, and from there into the well equipped bathroom. All excellent. As has been said, views from the hotel over the city are great and the grounds are a haven of peace away from a frenetic city. What wasn't so peaceful, was celebrations at a local temple which began at about 4am on 2 consecutive mornings !! Nothing the hotel could do about this of course but it was super-noisy. The peacocks were wonderful as is the concept of the Green Butler who was only too happy to take guests on a nature-spotting tour near the hotel buildings. We saw many birds. My small negative comments would be about the cloudy colour of water in the swimming pool, trays of left-over food left outside rooms for several hours and not 100% responsive staff in the restaurant. I'd still give the hotel 5 stars though as we enjoyed being there so much !

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank janetol1
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai!
At the very outset, allow me to thank you for patronising my hotel in course of your brief vacation in the city of Temples.
While perusing through your review, I was delighted to read through your notes of appreciation to the architecture of the hotel,which is indeed , colonial and dates back to the quaint old dak bungalows that were so prevalent in colonial India.My hotel, Sir ,as you so graciously observed, is an oasis of tranquility, situated in the lap of nature, amongst 64 acres of lush green priestine gardens, with beautiful,majestic peacoacks abounding in plenty.This is no less than a paradise on earth as it is tucked away comfortably on the green hills , away from the madenning crowd of the chaotic city. The main colonial block , correctly, as per your observation details , has comfortable,spacious .aesthetically designed, furnished rooms that are well spaced out and has a renovated bathroom and is definitely value for money.
I am extremely embarassed towards the commotion that has been caused from the neighbouring areas as they were in the midst of celebrating a religious festival . It is very unfortunate that it affected the quiet surrounds . This has been taken up very strongly with the local civil authorities .
I have also shared your feedback pertaining to the pool, the trays lying unattended outside in the corridors and the responsiveness of our associates in the restauarant.
I have taken up your feedback with the concerned departmental heads and have revisited our processes and brand standards and have initiated corrective action.
I do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your nex trip to Madurai .
Assuring you of my best attention and a seamless service experience,
Kindest regards

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this property with my family for a pilgrimage to Rameshwaram. My experience was divine, beautiful property on a hill. excellent and very spacious rooms very hard to find now a days. The rooms have amazing view of the Madurai city. Natural surroundings with many peacocks around. Service was very good, staff very friendly and always helpful. Food quality very good. Rooms decor was very good and very comfortable. We slept very well.
we would certainly recommend this hotel to everybody.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sir,
Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai, Madurai!
At the very outset, may I thank you for patronising this hotel in course of your brief stopover with your family enroute for a pilgrimage trip to Rameshwaram.
While perusing through your review, I was extremely delighted to note your kind words of appreciation pertaining to the services and facilities of the property , the priestine beauty of the environs , the natural beauty of the lush green gardens, majestic presence of the peacocks, the superior quality of the cuisine served at the restaurant, the efficiency of service at the restauarant and the responsiveness and courtesy of the associates as well as the aesthetically laid out , spacious , comfortable rooms.
My hotel is an oasis of tranquility , perched atop the green hills of Pasumalai,amidst luxuriously laid out gardens with a beautiful swimming pool and a relaxing ayurvedic centre, tucked slightly away from the frenzied pace of the chaotic and bustling city centre. i have the privelege of offering my esteemed guests a view of the city skyline as we are located at a higher elevation
I have taken the liberty of sharing your wonderful notes of observation and the divine experience that you have felt has given me and my associates immense joy.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the property on your next visit to the Temple city.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

i stayed here during last october for 2 days. one of the best properties that you can think of both in terms of service and ambience. Special thanks to the executive housekeeper Mr. Rajasekar and the security manager mr. manohar. They went out of their way and showed us around the property. People like them make Taj, an unique place. Peacocks, view of the meenatchi temple and the city, wonderful refreshing mornings on the hilltop are the experiences which you would cherish for a long time. every important tourist destination is minutes away. Thanks for the entire experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai!
At the very outset, may I thank you for patronising this hotel in October in course of your brief stay at the City of Temples .
While perusing through your review , I was simply thrilled to observe and share with my team, your compliments and kind words of appeciation pertaining to the warmth and hospitality displayed by my fellow colleagues, the security manager, Manohar and the executive housekeeper, Rajsekaran as they tried to ensure that you have had a comfortable and seamless stay experience.
I must say that you have aptly described my hotel as an oasis of peace, an abode of tranquility and beauty as it has the vast expanse of space and enjoys a vantageous location that overlooks the city skyline from the hill top and the priestine landscape, the colonial set up of the century old heritage building, the courtesy, competency and the responsiveness of the team associates contribute to a wonderful stay experience.
My colleagues and associates were overjoyed while they read through your notes of observations that pertained to the majestic presence of the peacocks which aboundin plenty within the hotel premises , the birds' eye view of the city from the hill top and the glorious sights of the four gopurams that signify the Meenakshi Temple' s heavenly presence
The rooms are also aesthetically done up and one can enjoy a great epicurean spread handcrafted by the executive chef at our all day diner.
I thank you for appreciating my hotel as the one stop haven for holiday seekers and I do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your nexxt trip to Madurai.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I made a last minute decision to stay in this hotel without an online reservation. Once I entered the gate of the hotel, I was denied entry and was told by the security that I can only stay in the hotel with an online reservation. (WTF?) Probably the only hotel that does not take over-the-counter bookings.

So I called up the hotel, and after a long conversation, was allowed inside. Waiting at the reception was a sulky looking lady who just told me the room rate [5400rs without taxes] without even asking me the kind of room I want. [The hotel has a special, where for the weekends the cheapest rate is about 3800rs without taxes. I saw this on their website]

A very amazing bellman called Pandian brought me to my room explaining the hotel facilities and attractions nearby. Was given room 23, with a view of just nothing. The room was great, but don't expect amenities like hairdryer, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. Minibar fridge was spoilt. Bedsheets had stains on them (probably unchanged). Was told there was room service, but there wasn't any menu in the room.

Asked for an auto at 5pm, but it only came at 5.30pm. This was the interesting part - a few staff saw me waiting quite long for the auto, but they did nothing. They just gathered around and started blaming other staff. No professionalism - staff outside reception just spitting around, one was peeing midway down the hill. Breakfast was alright.

I'm sorry but this hotel is by far the worst I've stayed in. I'm honestly not expecting much. I'm also from the hospitality industry and I know how it's like to work in one, but everything in this hotel is terrible.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Riotien
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai!
At the very outset, may I thank you for patronising this hotel in course of your short stopover at the Temple City.

I have perused through your valuable feedback on the tripadvisor pertaining to your stay experience and the hotel facilities.
Your feedback is indeed the pre-eminent barometer by which we can measure our achievements and shortfalls, in providing the best of services to our valued guests.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.
I was extremely perturbed to know about the points mentioned by you and have taken up the matter and other related issues very seriously with the hotel team and the concerned departmental heads and have initiated corrective action. I have also commenced a revisit of our brand standards, processes and checklists to ensure that these lapses on our part do not occur again.
If I may , please do treat this experience as an aberration. Sincerely, if you peruse through the rest of the reviews of my hotel on the trip advisor, I am sure, you will understand that we as a hotel ,generally exceed the expectations of all our esteemed patrons.
I do agree that the security is a little too vigilant as this property is perched atop a hill and I have personally tightened security measures in terms of walk in guests who do not have a prior booking as our patrons are usually of an extremely high profile and tend to be associated with high end corporate and leisure travel.
I have personally enquired and investigated through the closed circuit television as towards the interaction with the reception team.
May I assure you that the rates quoted were slightly higher as the standard rooms were sold out .
I have taken up your observation pertaining to the facial expression of the lady welcoming you and have revisited my training processes with role plays and live classroom sessions on communication skill sets at the Front Desk .Please accept my apologies in case she has come across to you as unwelcoming. Sincerely, this was not the intent , Sir.
In terms of the amenities in the rooms, we only provide standard amenities and full set of amenities are provided on request.
I have noted your observations pertaining to the quality of linen and the mini bar fridge and do apologise for the inconvenience caused.
I f you would have only mentioned once about all these issue to the Front Office team, I am sure, one of my colleagues would have alerted me and I would have personally come up , met you and changed the room and taken charge of your stay experiences.
It is a pity that the same was not escalated.
In terms of the grieviances expressed by you pertaining to the chaos that prevaile while you had asked for an auto rickshaw, allow me to share with you, Sir, that we encourage our patrons to usually hire cars from our In Houes Travel Deskwhoa re responsible and genuine authorised vendors and in case our esteemed patrons find theprice points slightly higher, then we offer the cab services from the private vendors who are registered and licenced as per the local laws and are okayed by the traffic police contro. room. Auto rickshaws do not fall within our safety regualtions and guarantee and we thus, as a hotel authorities , are extremely cautious and rather resistant , in allowing them within our premises.
However, as a guest staying in our hotel, some one should have taken the onus to explain the above to you and I once again apologise for this aberration.
In terms of the misdemaneour that you caught your observation while on your journey from the hotel towards the main gate , which is a good two kilometres ride downhill, I am extremely embarassed and apologetic at the occurence but may I assure you for sure , that the same may have been deeds of trespassers from across the jungle trail as this hotel is amidst 64 hectares of natural greens and I have cautioned my security team to be extremely vigilant and beefed up my security processes and have installed an additional 8 cameras across the vantage crossings and zones that are vulnerable.

It is of great importance to us when a guest takes time to let us know about our product and services which one has recently experienced. It is only in this way that we are able to step back from our day to day operations and look at any comments-both constructive and positive to ensure that we make the necessary changes in our operations. Your patronage to The Gateway Hotel Madurai is extremely important to us and I once again, request you to kindly treat this incident as an aberration. Be rest assured , Sir, that on your next visit ,I shall personally ensure a delightful experience.

I have been trying to reach you on your international number since last week in order to personally convey my apologies but, I assume, you must be engaged in a meeting, Sir.

I am accessible on my hand phone number 918489914252 and I would like to personally handle your reservations hence forth.
Please do feel free to get in touch with me for any assistance whatsoever.
I again look forward to welcoming and meeting up with you during your next stay with us and assure you of our finest services at all times.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights on business and was delightfully surprised to see the property. This is nestled on top of a hill with breathtaking views of the entire Madurai city.

The rooms are well laid out and the staff is extremely helpful and courteous. This is one of many stays at various Taj, Vivanta and Gateway properties and its always wonderful to come back.

Also, would like to thank Mr Murthy (f&b manager) for his personal attention to details and wonderful buffets.

Thanks

Nikhil Bhatia

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Nikhilbhatia8
Indranil_Ray, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai!
At the very outset, may I , along with my entire operations team at the hotel thank you profusely for the wonderful note of appreciation that you have marked to us on account of your stay experiences.
While perusing through your review the team and I were simply delighted to note that the priestinely laid out property nestled on the hills with an ambience that is almost heavenly given that there are peacockss that roam around the 64 acres of lush greenery and the property is located slightly away from the urban frenzy of the chaotic city,far from the madding crowd and represents an oasis of tranquility.
The rooms , all aesthetically done up are amongst the most spacious and the building is the epitome of colonial architecture.
I have taken the liberty to share your compliments pertaining to the delicious buffet spread and the seamless service at the restaurant provided by the Food and Beverage Manager, Murthy and his team and they are extremely thrilled on hearing the same.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the City of Temples.
Assuring you of my best services and attention at all times.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

It's a beautiful property, spread in 65 acres of land. Surrounded by greenery around. The architecture takes you back to the colonial era. Staff is helpful, good food. Unfortunately could spend only one night but would love to visit again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings from The Gateway Hotel Pasumalai Madurai!

At the very outset, may I thank you for patronising this hotel in course of your family vacation in the city of temples.
While perusing through your review, I was delighted to note the kind words of appreciation pertaining to your stay experience in my hotel.
As you had so aptly described , this hotel is essentially a colonial property, surrounded by greenery and if I may add a little, since I take immense pride in the beauty that this property exudes, perched atop the green hills of Pasumalai, comfortably tucked away in the lap of mother nature, slightly away from the hustle bustle and the urban frenzy of the chaotic city. Sought after for its colonial architecture, this hotel has very comfortable, aesthetically designed rooms and the property is spread over 64 acres of lush green landscape. The best part of this property is the proximity to one of nature's most beautiful creations, the majestic peacocks who abound in plenty and literally feed out of our guests' hand.
I must say that I was immensely thrilled on reading through your feedback which mentions that one night is not enough to soak in the beauty of this paradise.
I do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to the city of temples.
Kindest regards,