“Adequate ... nothing more.”
Review of The Golden Park

The Golden Park
Ranked #32 of 55 Hotels in Madurai
Salt Spring Island, Canada
“Adequate ... nothing more.”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

A pretty typical mid range hotel in India. The service at the front desk upon check in - and check out was perfectly fine. Beyond that ... they barely even glanced at me. The guy who was servicing the rooms was a bit weird ... Despite the fact that I had my 'do not disturb' switch on ... I was buzzed and offered a towel. I took it and said thanks, and told him I didn't want my room cleaned. He came back 10 minutes later with a roll of toilet tissue ... and as I cracked my door to see what he wanted, he just barged in - I stopped him, and he left upon my request.

The room itself is adequate in size ... decent sized room, sitting table and chair, small closet, and a shelf. The bathroom was also ok for size, although very dim ... Hot water was non existent. At best I got a luke warm 1/4 pressure shower in the morning - beyond 10am, the water didn't even come out of the hot water tap.

The tv had an OK selection of English channels (two movie channels, BBC news, Discovery, and a few sports channels.) But it kept turning off every 30 minutes.

The bed was very comfortable ... but... and here's the but. It was not clean. The sheets hadn't been changed since the last guest. (hairs in the bed, blood spots, etc ...) beyond the usual perma stains that seem to occur in India. The floor under the bed hadn't been swept in ages, the towel outside the bathroom door hadn't been changed in who knows how long ... all in all - while I don't expect spic and span - this was not a clean room.

The door only has a flimsy lock on it - anyone with a credit card or a butter knife could get in - in about .3 seconds. There are no security latches on the inside either. The window didn't lock (but was grated off for security).

The aircon and fan worked fine ... and there's a daily newspaper delivered. I didn't eat breakfast there, so I can't comment on that. The location is good, about 10 minute walk to the temple, and there are lots of restaurants nearby. It is across the street from the Hotel Supreme - if your looking at Google Maps - the 'dot' actually shows this place on the wrong street - but if you go to satellite mode, you'll see that the dot is showing at the back of the building. It's a 3 minute walk from the Train Station.

I looked at a Standard room and a Deluxe room ... I could not tell the difference.

Would I stay there again? Probably not ... there are lots of other options to check out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank goozey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Its a good option for a family stay at a affordable cost.Its stays close to Temple just couple of minutes in auto or 6-10 min of walk.The rooms were clean and morning breakfast was good.Totaly good place for a family to stay

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank madhanvm
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Its a decent hotel at less price. I visited Madurai last month and stayed there for overnight, Its good place to stay. They provide complementary breakfast. Its really nice South Indian breakfast. Very near to railway station and temple. I recommend this hotel. One imp thing to know..they don't have in-house restaurant for lunch and dinner. But you can ask for a room service. Its better to go any nearby restaurant. I went to Rainbow Restaurant which is just opposite to the hotel. It has got decent food. I recommended not to try non veg in Madurai.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank shutterbug007
Bangalore
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The Golden Park is a good and reasonably priced hotel located close to the railway station. The Meenakshi Amman temple(west gate) is also at a walkable distance from here. The rooms are big and clean but the bathrooms are a bit crammed.The towels did not appear very clean.The complimentary breakfast was decent. There are also a lot of other restaurants in the vicinity and hence a lot of choices for food. On the whole a good option considering the favorable location and value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Dharini_R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The hotel is located in the lane where most of the hotels of Madurai are located. Its close to the temple (walkable). We went to the hotel directly without a reservation but the rooms were available. We were provided with just one towel though we checked in as a couple. Hot water was available in the morning, thankfully, we could refresh without any trouble. Drinking Water supplied in the room tasted stale, they might have changed at least a week before we checked it.

If its raining, then avoid this hotel because you will get your feet and clothes dirty due to water logging.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SuruSudhirKumar
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We found this hotel to be the best option in Madurai. We checked out all of them(we actually saw rooms in each hotel) and this was the best standard and price. The hotel was in a good location and easy to get to the main attractions. We ate at the restaurant(we were the only ones there) it had a great view but a somewhat limited menu as most of the items we asked for were not available. Breakfast was ok and did the job.
The staff and the service in the hotel was fabulous and we found everyone to be very friendly and helpful.
Our room was clean and toiletries,towels, toilet paper were supplied. The bathroom is quite small but perfectly functional. The room was spacious and the aircon worked well even when running off the generator. It does state on the website there is wifi in the rooms however you actually need to go down to the lobby to get it.
We also hired a taxi from the hotel which we though was reasonably priced but we were disappointed when he wanted money to pay for tolls when we were told this was all included. The taxi also did not have working seat belts.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SunTan12
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one day. This is one of the cheap but good hotel just located very near to Railway station and Bus stand. If you commute lot in Madurai and look for a good sleep at the night, i suggest this hotel. The food is not that great and there is not much to choose. But there is a hotel called "Kumar" for Non vegetraian and "Sabhari" for veg. They serve mouth watering food for your taste. I didn't try any north indain food but there are plenty to choose on the same road....

Room Tip: I took the room on the road side so that i can watch the fun on the road at madurai. Yes, it is amaz...