“The retreat”

Sherlock Hotel
Baltimore, Maryland
“The retreat”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Sherlock lodge is a true retreat from the summer heat, the bustling cities, and jus about everything in your daily life that you need a break from. Shiva and his crew do everything in their hands to make your stay absolutely comfortable.
We are a family with a toddler and she was pampered, she could prance and play around in the lawn, walk and dance around in the interiors and just be her happy self.
We arrived from Hyderabad for a 3 day trip to Ooty with a long list of things to do, but ended up just staying back and enjoying the warm hospitality, scrumptious food, constant flow of delicious tea of sherlock hotel against the misty chill of Nilgiris.
Perfect location, warm staff, beautiful views, quirky decorations, make this the perfect retreat.

Room Tip: If you care for privacy and noise, do not book the deluxe room sharing the wall with dining area. Th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank enthu_traveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I keep going to Ooty for its pleasant weather, i went to kings cliff restaurant and loved it food on a previous visit, i came to know about Sherlock from a friend and later found that king's cliff and sherlock are managed by same guys, so i expected same quality food in the restaurant. I prefer to have a good food and service on my holiday and thats what i expected on my stay in sherlock this time.

List of Awesome things i experienced in sherlock.
1. Awesome theme of hotel, based on sherlock holmes character , lobby and garden are my favorite places.
2. "THE FOOD", just like king's cliff restaurant, the food at sherlock is of top quality(with taste).
3. Breakfast which although is complimentary but is top class ,wich is contrary to many other good hotels i visited earlier in Ooty(i mean really good hotels), those good hotels will provide cheap breakfast, just for the sake of provide breakfast. In sherlock its a different story, they provide quality breakfast, which has continental ,indian(north as well south), since i m from north, my wife loved the north indian stuff. i however like british breakfast.
4. service : my plan was to stay from monday to wednesday and checkout on thursday, but after staying for couple of days, i extended my stay on a very short notice, on thursday morning i told Shiva (manager at sherlock) to extend my stay for two more days, although it was very difficult to do that on a short notice but he did that. due to which i was able to stay for another two days that means i stayed there for 5 days. Excellent job Shiva :)
5. My son is 4 and half years old and his main diet is still milk, our stock of powder milk ran out one day(for nights), we asked one of the stewards/waiters to get us few bottles of milk and some chips and snacks for my kid for night, they arranged the snacks(potato chips,chocolate bars etc) from a near by shop in that forest and arranged for milk as well. Excellent job guys!!
6. Location, its although in the Ooty itself but its on Tiger hill, which is away from the city some 2 kilometers from main road. if you are looking for a peaceful stay in a calm ,cold misty mountain, its the right place.
There are some kids who come with horses for a horse ride, they are nice and you can have good horse ride, but be careful with the pricing of the horse trip, finalise the pricing in the begining, they will tell you about hald trip , full trip and double round. this double round surprise comes when you complete the full round, they can suggest you to go for double round with double the initial price with a promise to show you some great sceneries, there is nothing as double round with extra sceneries as i already had a walk in that area and when they showed me the double round with added amount, i figued out that the horse kids had managed to get extra from me. so beware of those horse kids with those round options :)
About sherlock, a definite recommendation to the travelers and holidaying guys.

things that may need improvement, this is a feedback for sherlock guys.
1. please Add a bath tub.
2. Toilet seat(potty seat) does not work well everytime :) in blue carbuncle, please fix it.

Room Tip: please choose a room that is infront of the garden as it has a better view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank soorajwins21
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed in June 27, 2014.
Our stay in Sherlock was awesome, more than our expectation. Everything was perfect e.g. Hotel, Staffs, Location, Scenery, Food and Cleanliness. Just 4 km distance from Ooty main market.
The hotel situated on a beautiful hillock. The scenery of hills is just wOw. The food in hotel is very delicious. The hotel has a beautiful garden with flowers where you can relax and breathe the fresh air. Ambience is very good. We liked to spend our times in garden and main hall at entrance.
The hotel staffs are very well-mannered, efficient and helpful. Mr, Yadab is very courteous. After all the manager Mr. Shiva… wonderful management. He is so nice personality. Especially we have an amazing experience with him. At the last moment he himself drove to a nearby place which we missed. I can say again “wOw” and wish to stay there again on my next trip.

2 Thank Das272014
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Hi there,
I had a chance to stay in this property in the month of june 2014 .Though i have been to ooty a couple of times before but this time It was an awesome experience at sherlock!.The place is just awesome with the best views of ooty to offer.The staff is very efficient and courteous and I would particularly mention Mr.shiva who is the manager of this property .He made sure everything was in place.Also noteworthy is Ms.Bhagya who is extremely helpful and courteous.The food,room,ambience et all is really good.The only problem i could find there was a lack of proper signage and direction from the city to the property and also the road leading to the property is very very bad and its a big hassle to drive in the night.I hope this will be taken care soon.. Looking forward to another visit there!Good luck Sherlock...

Room Tip: Take a room facing the garden ..this is the highlight of this place ...else stay anywhere else in so...
1 Thank I-thebiker
Bhopal
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Cozy place, Sumptuous Food must try continental dishes. Mr.Shiva is a marvellous manager. Fantastic view all marks for a getaway. Carry books or music. Give it a try. Ooty has always been nice this place will add value to ooty

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank smindia
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was a last minute booking done online. We reached at 6.30 in the morning and Wilson in the reception was very friendly. However as per the hotel records there was no record of the booking. I was expecting a very disappointing start to my short vacation but Wilson just took me by surprise with his kindness...he told us to check-in and said that we could sort out the booking once the hotel reservations open at 9am. I am very very thankful to him for this kind gesture especially since I had 2 small kids 6 & 5 yrs. (by the way, the Cleartrip staff were totally useless and kept telling me that they would call me back but in the end never even gave me a miss call. Please stay CLEAR from them if you are making last minute bookings like what I did.)

Now back to the review...Breakfast was great, good spread of Indian and continental. I love the cheese omelets..too bad I did not get to meet the chefs to pass on my comments! I was trippin on the Idlis and sambar for all 3 days I stayed there with some omelettes, puri and channa, semia! Kids loved the semia, sausages and fresh fruit. Wifey was with her baked beans and toast bread and also ended up ordering an omelette after I did!!
Lunch was had outside. Dinner on the other hand was good but a bit spicy for my kids even though we asked for something totally bland. The American chopsuey was good..the Alder's special chicken was a tad too spicy for the kids but I enjoyed it. The Guys at Sherlock should go a bit slow with the spices...which are cheaper in Ooty than other places.! :-) The overall experience was just fabulous and we did not expect such great service. I would strongly recommend this place if you are looking to just get away from all the hustle and bustle of the city life, once you are at Sherlock you feel that you are in a different world.. and with the awesome climate that Ooty has to offer you might as well think your in a different country all together! By the way, it is a couple of degrees cooler at the hilltop than it was down in the city.
Shiva one of the cool managers was equally helpful and friendly!!! If you are looking at doing some sightseeing contact him for arranging the transport which I feel is cheap.
I do plan a trip in the next couple of months, this time with my mom and dad include. Will definitely book the stay at Sherlock, WHY? Sheer Ambiance, great and SUPER friendly staff, retro styled accommodation, superb location, etc...

A BIG THANK YOU to Wilson, Shiva, Bhayalakshmi and all the WONDERFUL PEOPLE at Sherlock hotel!!! Look forward to visiting you all soon.

PS: Shiva / Wilson if you're reading this review...I need the fireplace lit on my next trip! lol...

Room Tip: Best location in Ooty
2 Thank TrevelynW
Reviewed 23 June 2014

One awesome experience at sherlock!The stay was amazingly awesome.The staffs are very efficient,I would particularly mention Mr.shiva who is the manager made sure everything was in place.The food,room,ambience et all is really good.Looking forward to another visit there!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends