“Lovely Heritage Property!”

Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels in Ooty
New Delhi, India
“Lovely Heritage Property!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Dating back to the 1830s, this is one hotel you must experience for the colonial charm and the exquisite landscaped gardens! Spend your evenings reading by the fireplace or laze away your afternoons in the sun and eat heavenly meals in the old dining hall.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Samra1000
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Samra,

I thank you very much for the positive feedback which you have given.

We are happy to note that you have enjoyed our colonial charm exquisite landscaped gardens! Your positive comments have been shared with the team & this will go a long way in ensuring that we meet the expectations of our guests. Guest feedback is invaluable as it helps to continually improve our guest satisfaction. I thank you very much for the positive feedback given by you and this will definitely encourage my team to perform even better.

Do come back to The Savoy hotel Ooty for your next holidays. Looking forward to see you soon.

pathyil.vibhakar@tajhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 3 August 2014

i stayed there in jan 2014 wit my wife n its the most beautiful property in ooty i hv seen ,,,staff is very good wit good nature ,always ready to help,,,bbf was excellent ,,hygene is maintained n the best part of the room is the fire place in the room...just loved it..thanx for beautiful experience on my honeymoon trip

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank linusrodrigues
Dear Rodrigues,

Greetings for the day !!!!

I thank you very much for your time to give a positive feedback about our hotel.

I am happy that you found our services to your liking especially our hotel fire places. We constantly strive to give our guest the best of the services and such positive feedback encourages us to do even better.

I thank you once again for your time and the feedback & look forward to having you again at The Savoy Hotel Ooty.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed in the 2-bedroom suite (Sunnyside 308) which has 1 bathroom only (slightly tricky in the mornings). Ooty was wet through out our stay but we bared the weather and ventured out.

Positives -
1. Taj property - so you can expect decent class in it.
2. Away from the madness of the Ooty town - quite in the nights.
3. Colonial style - though a bit rundown
4. Fireplace was a great idea .. kept the rooms warm. Complemented the electric heaters well.
5. Decent sleep quality in the twin bed room (kids used it)
6. Great breakfast spread - good mix of continental and Indian breakfast.
7. Pony ride inside the campus - my son loved it and went on the horse all 3 days. 100 rupees per long ride - worth it.

Negatives -
1. A bit rundown rooms - can be better maintained. The sofas & chairs look old & I could feel the springs in the double bed. I had to sleep in the twin bed one night due to my backache from the double bed
2. Lunch & dinner in the restaurant are not great. If you are a foodie like me, you won't appreciate the food here. Quite unlike Taj but I guess this is a perennial problem as you see from other reviews here.
3. We ordered pasta for the kids and told them to make it bland. They made it spicy & kids could not eat it. They took it back and did not return for 20 minutes. They brought it to the room later but spicy still. I complained to the reception & the F&B manager (Avinash) called me immediately to apologize. He came across as a service oriented person & reversed the charges for this item - good gesture.
4. 1 bathroom for 2 bedrooms is not sufficient. A bathtub would have added more glamour ... @10,000 INR a night, this is something that would make guests feel good. Shower area needs a good scrub - we could see black mold buildup in the corners.
5. Room service bit slow for everything - ask them for anything & they needed 1 more reminder on most occasions
6 Wifi is not free - INR 660 per day. Taj should look at providing this free to the guests.

Rating - 3.5 / 5

Visit again ? I don't mind if they fix the rooms a bit more and change the kitchen staff :-)

Room Tip: Lawn facing rooms are a better option
1 Thank Sriluck
Dear Sir,

Greetings for the day IIII

Thank you very much for posting your experience at The Savoy Hotel Ooty on Trip Advisor and for appreciating our hotel

The team and I are delighted to read your positive review of our product, colonial style, Fire place, B/Fast and facilities like pony ride in our hotel.

Also I regret to note about the inconvenience caused to you with regards to your stay as the sofas and the chairs are very old. Food and pastas were not up to your expectations also black mold buildup in the corners of the bathroom in the corners . Your feedback is really important for us and I have personally shared the same with my team to ensure corrective action

Guwahati, Assam, India
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Heritage property no doubt, but sadly has seen its best days. For people sentimental about colonial style this property is apt. The service and food lived up to the Taj expectations. Do not expect the spic n span of newer Taj properties.

Dear Mr.Konwar,

Greetings for the day !!!!

The team and I are delighted to read your positive review of our product, food and facilities.

Thank you once again for your recognition and we hope to have the pleasure of your continued visits to our hotel. Please feel free to write to us as savoy.ooty@tajhotels.com if you visit Ooty again. We will be glad to have you once again with us.

Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at the biggest room in this hotel during a family visit trip to Ooty for 2 nights. The room was spacious and built in the English style (in 1829, from the hotel records). There is a lot of history associated with this place and a lot of English touch left here and there.
The hospitality was excellent and the manager from front desk personally introduced himself to every guest.
Initially the hotel was booked for 3 nights, but due to some complications on the trip, I had reschedule to 2 nights. The hotel rules said that they could not return the 1 night payment due to the booking being via a travel website and not through their own, which is correct as per the terms and conditions.
However, the manager from the front desk was a very reasonable guy and he adjusted our room rent with the meals charges that we would incur during our stay. This was a very good move from him, which made me stay their without thinking about any money hassles.
You can imagine the rent being high as I had booked the biggest room available in the hotel.

The dining room was spacious, a bit dimly lit, but the food was pretty good on the first day. The breakfast is complete. However, the second day we felt that the food might not be freshly cooked and pre-cooked/heated and served to us. We were fairly early for dinner I can say.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and I would love to recommend this place for a holiday to everyone. It is worth the spend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Taj Savoy Hotel, Ooty, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Mr. Majumdar,

Greeting for the day !!!!!

I thank you very much for the positive feedback which you have given.

Your positive comments have been shared with the team & this will go a long way in ensuring that we meet the expectations of our guests. Guest feedback is invaluable as it helps to continuously improve our guest satisfaction. I thank you very much for the positive feedback given by you and this will definitely encourage my team to perform even better.

We have also noted your feed back about spacious & colonial style room and a lot of history associated with this place and a lot of English touch. We have shared your comments to our Front desk manager and certainly he will duly recognized for his services.

We sincerely apologies for the second day food which was not be freshly cooked .we have taken this up seriously with our Executive Chef to brief and train the respective staff accordingly in reworking and taking corrective actions in our preparations and

We request you to kindly not hold anything against us and do give us another opportunity to present the best of the experience.

Porvorim, India
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The property Taj Savoy is very well kept . The service there is really great . Nice place to unwind for few days .

They made sure that our food was to our liking and since i mentioned i prefer Chicken legs they made sure each chicken dish we ordered had the same .

They constantly enquired if we needed anything apart from what was there on menu . It made the stay great .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SushilKaurNama
Dear Nama,

Greetings for the day !!!!

Also we are happy to notice that your preference in the chicken dishes are met as you like

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We were here to celebrate our Dad's 75 th birthday with our whole family. We stayed here for 3 nights , our family experience was very good and excellent service by total staff . Chef Joseph was very good and he has seen that what ever we need is available . Overall we all had a unforgettable family holiday.

1 Thank goyal385
Dear Goyal,

Greetings for the day !!!!

I am happy that you found our services, to your liking. Also you celebrated your Dad's 75th birthday with your whole family. We have also noted your comments about chef Joseph and certainly he will duly recognized for his services.

Pathyil Vibhakar,