“A small getaway to let loose n lazy”

Sinclairs Retreat Ooty
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Sinclair Ooty has really friendly staff, prompt room service and good ala-carte..
Buffet breakfast is really sad. Pls opt to stay but avoid buffet. We stayed in the Nilgiri suite. The room needs major cleanup and improvement. The property is good but needs management to take care of it.

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Sweety_Rath_CTLI
GM_Sinclairs_Ooty, General Manager at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Sweety,

Thanks for posting a review about your holiday experience at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty. I am very pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly, and enjoyed the food at the resort.

I apologise that you didn't find the room upto our usual standard, and I shall make sure that this does not occur in the future.

I hope you will visit us once again!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Due to last minute arrangements this was the only hotel I could find in Ooty and being a starred hotel I thought it would be better than my previous stays in Ooty but unfortunately not. As the hotel was running at full occupancy I am guessing that many of my issues were related to not enough staff and facilities for a full house. The breakfast was operated from a banquet hall which was not equipped, only one induction plate with one staff member making 'eggs' for over 100 or more people, The same for the toaster - one four slice toaster! The TV in the room rarely had a signal which was also the case with my phone. Due to the style of the hotel, the rooms are below ground almost so the signal is very week on mobiles. When I tried to pay for the wifi I was informed by reception that the wifi was not working - which never did for the 2 days of my stay.

Location. The hotel is set in a beautiful location overlooking Ooty with beautiful gardens however the downside is that when I requested a taxi (on a sunday) I was told that it would not be possible as hotel cars busy and no taxis come on a sunday? Even when getting to/from the hotel invariably you are held up in a traffic jam at the Tea Factory when buses and cars manoeuvre the very narrow road.

The Room. I had read that they require advance to confirm the room which was correct and I paid. On check-in I was advised that I had been upgraded to a suite (Yeh...) The room was nice but lacked many amenities that a starred hotel should have. There was no mini bar, hairdryer, even bathroom toiletries of toothpaste etc was lacking. There was a walk in shower and a bathtub but unfortunately when you used the shower, the water flooded the bathroom and you were forced to use towels to mop up the water. Another major issue was the lack of power. During my stay there were many power cuts some for over three hours. During this time there was no back-up generator so no lights, tv etc worked in the room. Finally the mattress and bedding appeared old and very thin/hard.

Food. We did order room service during our stay and I have to add that the food was very good indeed and the service was prompt.

Spa. We tried to book Spa appointments but were told the Spa was non operational - again considering this was high season, not acceptable and not communicated on booking.

Check-out. I did check-out early from the resort but felt that the check-out procedure was lacking as I was shown a calculator and told to pay the figure. when I did query the bills, they had to locate a few and finally the figure tallied. There was no bill print out or receipt.

Overall the hotel was good, but I certainly felt that it did not live up to the star rating and lacked in many areas.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor room to get better mobile reception
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
GM_Sinclairs_Ooty, General Manager at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Redlady,

Thank you for taking the time out to post your detailed review on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty.

We apologise for the inconveniences you faced during breakfast. We were running on full occupancy so the restaurant was not able to accommodate all the guests. Therefore, we put up a temporary option at the banquet hall.

With respect to wifi, this was a minor issue and sorted out. However, I'm sorry if you were unable to use it. Certain rooms in out hotel sell out faster than others, that's why we encourage guests to book in advance.

Hotel cars are based on availability, and so are taxis. We tried calling a couple of taxis but couldn't find one immediately, and it would take time since there are a lot of tourists visiting Ooty at this time.

We apologise for the issues you faced in the room, and the power shortage. Our generator broke down, and took two hours to fix. A lot of guests complained about this issue, and we are trying to think of an alternative.

At present, we are not providing mini-bar facility. We encourage guests to order whatever they like from room service. I am extremely sorry for not providing the bathroom amenities. We are happy to replenish these on a guest request, and I am surprised you faced this problem.

Currently, there was some issue in the Spa so we have shut it temporarily. Again, I apologise for the inconvenience during check-out.

I sincerely hope you will visit us once again and I hope it would be a memorable experience.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My first advice - DON'T BOOK THIS HOTEL THROUGH EXPEDIA! Yeah, you got that right. If you go through the websites, you will be paying double the money. Go through a travel operator and you will get it at half the price! You will understand it better when you see the quality of people staying in the hotel - it's not a class hotel, it's a mass hotel. You will rarely come across a guest from the higher strata, whether from India or abroad.
At Rs. 7500 per night incl tax, I shelled out more than I pay for a night at the Taj in any of the metros. Against that you will get a hotel in one of the most inconvenient locations of Ooty (the single file road is usually blocked all through the day by coaches and cars ferrying people who come to visit the Tea Museum), you will get staff who are all trainees, most don't speak English and they will flatly refuse to serve you the food if you ask for room service! and match box rooms. The menu is limited and the restaurants are less said the better.
The only redeeming feature of this hotel is the view from the lawns.
I will be back at Ooty but I will be in other hotels which will be less expensive and more classy.
As my heading goes, this place is "By the gentry, for the gentry and of the gentry". I am a frequent hotel stayer throughout gentry and you will be thankful that I warned you.

3  Thank Anirban_Chakravarty
GM_Sinclairs_Ooty, General Manager at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2015

Dear Nikhil,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty.

We are disappointed to hear that you didn't have an enjoyable stay. Actually there was a confusion during check-in. Your wife wanted to stay at the villa, and you were looking for a room in the hotel building.

We visited the villa, and couldn't locate a smell.

Anyhow, we are sorry for the inconvenience you faced regarding these issues. We hope to welcome you back to Sinclairs Retreat Ooty with a hassle-free experience.

Atanu Das

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel during this first week of May'14 and the experience was really good. Awesome location and is away from the hustle bustle of Ooty. We stayed at a premium room and the valley views from it was simply breathtaking. Overall quality of service is good and the rooms are clean and hygienic. The dinner and breakfast buffet are extensive though a bit pricey. The front lawn overlooking the valley is very well maintained with flowers in full bloom when we were there. I would really want to go back and stay in this hotel again when I am in Ooty again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Go for the Premium rooms either in the 2nd or the 3rd Floor just below the Lobby level (Lobby is on...
1  Thank Rupam B
GM_Sinclairs_Ooty, General Manager at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Rupam,

It was a delight to read your review on Tripadvisor, and thank you for rating our hotel as "excellent".

So happy to hear that you enjoyed the views of the Nilgiri hills and valley, our food and hospitality. This is the best time to visit Ooty and I'm glad to hear that you had a lovely vacation.

I hope you will recommend us to your friends and family, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sinclairs next time you are in Ooty!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I loved the location and the views from the hotel are incredible. The hotel itself is tastefully done and modern. The hotel is very family oriented and has a lovely kids play center and gym. The food is very good and the breakfast and dinner buffet are extensive.
The staff do try their best and the kitchen staff are very friendly.

I did not like the rooms itself. They looked like they were recently renovated but are not well kept since the furniture is of very bad quality. The rooms have a musty smell and are not as clean as I would have liked it to be. The beds are very uncomfortable.
The time we were there the spa was closed which was a disappointment.

I don't think this hotel is worth the price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
GM_Sinclairs_Ooty, General Manager at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Azraa,

Thank you for staying with us while visiting Ooty, and for posting your review on Tripadvisor. Its wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the incredible views from the hotel, the entertainment zone - Tic Tac Toe, the gym and the cuisine that we offer. It's always a pleasure to hear positive comments from our guests.

However, I'd like to apologize about the musty smell that was present in your room. I am looking into this immediately.

Unfortunately due to some staff issue, our Spa is closed, but we hope to open it shortly.

I hope you will visit us again! Please do recommend us to your family and friends.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We checked in for a day with the plan to extend but were glad to get out. Beautiful location , far from the maddening crowd. Rooms are good and give a good view.service also good but would have been great if they could serve you on the lawns too.mr.Raghu at the reception is quite a helpful person. We were given rooms on the second floor but opted for ground floor so kids could play in the landscaped area and we could be just a call away. We really liked the place but the minute you leave the lobby and go towards the rooms, there's a stench of sewage back flow till you are locked in your room. I found it difficult to breathe while in the corridor leading to the room. May have been a ground floor feature. But it was disgusting and I just wanted to get out.

Hope they can do something about it as the property is really well located and beautiful.

Room Tip: Take top floors for a good view and ground floor if you are travelling with kids.ask for the garden...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Preetha S
GM_Sinclairs_Ooty, General Manager at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Preetha,

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with your family at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty. Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding the location, views and service, and for sharing this on a public platform.

I apologise for the bad smell that occurred while you were staying with us. This was because STP work was going on, but we have fixed this issue.

Please do recommend us to friends and family and do visit us again!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

You can hate it or love it, but nothing in between. That sums up Sinclairs Ooty experience for me. There were inexcusable lapses. There were fascinating experiences. At the end, it leaves me confused over my overall experience. My average overall rating is a misnomer. It is actually a compilation of 1-star and 5-star ratings. Let me enumerate my experiences (both good and bad) in an interleaved-bullet-format. You make up your own mind.

+ Ooty city center is ugly. Roads are narrow with dirty puddles. There are horrible traffic jams. Noxious fumes make it difficult to breathe. It felt worse than weekday-traffic-at-Bangalore-city-center. It was a let-down from the fond memories I had of Ooty.
Sinclairs Retreat is tucked away far from this madness on a lonely hill side. That is a big plus point of the hotel. The ambience is pristine as of April 2014.

- We faced a 3 hour power cut in the hotel! There were no lights. Hot water turned luke-warm. The lifts stopped operating and intercom was dead! I got over my irritation and spent some quality time chatting with family. If power cut is a regular affair, the hotel must intimate the guests beforehand. If known before hand, one can easily plan around the power-cut time.

++ Food! The breakfast/dinner buffets were fantastic. We had 3 breakfasts and 3 dinner buffets and we were never bored. Superb cooking, superb choice of dishes. There was one chef who was on live-pasta-session on 1stMay evening. The pasta was great. There is another chef passionate about his job. He mingles with the guests and pampers them. I saw people approach him with exotic customisations (how finely should the peas be grounded) and he happily encourages that. The one lasting memory which I will be carrying away (over all disappointments) is that of the fabulous food.

- Lack of privacy of the rooms. For the valley facing rooms on lower floor, the room windows are open to people walking around in the lawn. Mine was a forest facing room. The balcony of the next room faced my window. It does feel odd.

+ Grand view from the gym and a nice indoor badminton court. You do need to cross through a smelly floor before you hit the gym-floor but the gym itself is airy and flooded with natural light.

- No minibar and no newspaper. It is indeed a drawback but I don't mind. I seldom use minibar at hotels. Lack of morning-newspaper is possibly a good way to keep current affairs out of your life on holidays.

+ Good wifi access. It is 100Rs plus taxes for an hour. The speed was phenomenal. The password-activation process was smooth. The per hour cost enforced a level of web-discipline I never knew I was capable of.

-- It is a testimony to the hotel that they were booked to full capacity. However, the management seemed out of breath all the time with inadequate staff. I needed to remind them twice on couple of occassions. Housekeeping was not in a position to cater to on-demand house-cleaning. We went out to gym requesting the room to be 'made' in that time. We were falsely assured. House keeping came 2 hour later in their own sweet time. Here again management could have given time-slots for room cleaning and guests could have accommodated.

- In my room, the shower cubicle only had overhead shower mode. It means you cannot wash your feet without taking a full shower. It forced me to take full bath multiple times a day.

Room Tip: Room#222 has got another room's balcony right outside its window. Valley-view lower floors are b...

Dear Sambaran,

Thanks for such a detailed review of your stay at Sinclairs Retreat Ooty, and for appreciating the positive aspects and pointing out the negative ones.

I would like to apologize for all the inconveniences that you faced whilst your stay in Ooty, especially the electricity issue. Please note that every month the Electricity Departments cuts power for servicing, and during those hours the entire town doesn't have electricity. Unfortunately, our generator broke down for two hours, but we rectified this issue. Power cuts happen once a month, but we manage, as we have a generator. Therefore this is not a regular feature, and guests do not need to be informed in advance.

We don’t keep provide mini bar in Guest Rooms. Regarding the service complaint, I am really sorry as the hotel was fully booked and the staff were a little busy.

I'm really happy to hear that you loved the location of our hotel and the food. I hope you will recommend us to your friends and family. Please join us on Facebook and Twitter to keep updated with our offers and promotions.