“Not worth for the money!”

Nahar's Nilgiris Hotel
Ranked #46 of 82 Hotels in Ooty
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
“Not worth for the money!”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My Travel Date: May 2013

Not all the time I document my travel experience I do it if the stay is either extremely good or bad. This time it’s for Extremely Bad & Not worth for the money.

I took a double Suite for 3500 + Taxes (4100 Rs) without any complimentary BF & Dinner. The Hotel itself located in the main city and very near to charring cross. This place is noisy and not having any scenic views at all I stayed In Room 701 & 702 from 11th to 13th May 2013. My anxiety for scenic windows got butchered seeing an ugly wall and till my checkout I kept my window curtains closed

My next surprise was Rates on the menu cards. First I was like’ Wowww’ seeing the long list of Indo Chinese & South Indian vegetarian dishes but the happiness survived for less than a minute seeing the rate attached but I expected a tasty food at least which is hard to get on Hill stations.

I prepared my family for a tasty hot south Indian breakfast and went to the hotel downstairs (GARDEN) but it was all disappointment. The place was small & crowded and we waited for almost 15 mins for someone to take the order. They market themselves for their ‘Idly’ prepared in kitchen but it was horrible, Chutney gave me a feel as if the cook had never tasted a good chutney in life and sambar was watery throughout my stay.

We had no other choice for dinner as the city sleeps soon and we went for early dinner at 7 expecting better service with less crowd. As expected there was no else when we went and still nobody came to take the order and I need to walk to the kitchen supervisor for sending someone.

Next day I decided to take Tandoori as the name of the hotel (Chandan INDO- Chinese) gave me a feel that this ppl could be an expert on that. My family didn’t want to take risk and went with south Indian kitchen itself. I took my father alone just to accompany me. Here also I was made to wait for 15 mins to take order as if it’s their best practice. I ordered 1 Butter nan, Dum aloo Punjabi & Mushroom pulav. After some time I got the Butter nan & Dum aloo (Which is not actually dum aloo we tasted and it’s their own version), I was quiet blank seeing 6 pieces for single butter nan added but I made a mistake of assuming large in quantity, after some time I felt I can’t take the Pulav and tried cancelling it. To my surprise they said its 2 butter nan for 1 ordered and justification provided is 2 ppl sitting in the table which is the silliest reasons I have heard. I tried tasting the mushroom Pulav but I can’t go after 2 spoons which is tasteless and over garnished with cashews. For my surprise the bill was around 750 for these 3 items. Totally not worth.

After my dissatisfied dinner, I went to reception to checkout 1 of my room out of 2 for cost saving on last day. Please note all the receptionist were giving me a feel like bouncers and they talk without any smile and empathy to you. Where the hell is the customer service I am expecting for the 8K I am paying for 2 rooms per day? Are they really trained?

On the last day the bill amount for our breakfast was incorrect which I tried highlighting the server, but he couldn’t get it immediately and went furious and rude to me. By that time I got used to their hospitality & poor customer service made me to explain politely again and made them understand.

All the housekeeping motive is to get tips and over pour their courtesy on you which is kind of embarrassing and weird.

Rooms were cozy, clean bathrooms, 24 hrs hot water but that’s not enough for the tariff they get. Definitely not worth and won’t suggest anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Rajesh S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Thane, India
Reviewed 10 January 2014

First of all the location of this hotel is middle in the town, near charring cross.
It is an exciting place to relax, breathe fresh air and experience pleasant weather. Wecome often to socialize with family and friends.
Rooms are really good and it has 2 restaurants, South Indian and North Indian.
Costwise this place is very competitive.
Worth to visit.

Room Tip: Club rooms are very good. Dont go for standard rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thrissur, India
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Really a good restaurant in the hotel with excellent food and service. Price is also reasonable. Prime location with convenient parking space. Childrens seats are available if required. Good for family.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
jorhat,assam,india
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights at this hotel and really enjoyed our stay...the room ws spacious and well furnished and good sunshine...staffs friendly and helpful...coffee shop ws very good too..the location is also very convenient just near the market and yet it was so serene inside....had a great time....

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank lianiessie
Madurai, India
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We had been to nahar -Chandan for diner,The food ,service and staff were simply superb.This is one of the best restaurants in ooty.
Even though there were very few restaurants open during diwali holidays,and all the restaurants were busy,we waited for 5 -10 mins and got a seat to sit.The service and food taste was awesome.Special thanks to the service staff(though very limited) handled the show extremely professionally and well.Food came very quickly.
NAHAR SERVICE STANDARDS-FIRST CLASS.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JAZZZY
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Location...location...location! It could not be better placed, right at the heart of the city and within walking distance of all those shops selling yummy home-made chocolates and bakeries with fresh goodies, and of-course the Botanical Garden too. The lobby is rather dull...could do with a modern touch. Rooms are cozy and clean; clean and spacious bath. Room service is prompt and helpful. The family-sized umbrella hung in the rooms is a nice touch, was very helpful as it rained frequently during our 4-day stay. The travel desk offers many value options for sight-seeing...go for it. The South Indian food is excellent...yummy idlis at breakfast; Chandan serves a great thali too. But - no offence meant - nothing beats Sarvannas at their South Indian snacks, which is also walking distance from the hotel. The feather in the cap is the pizzeria at the front of the hotel with wood-fired ovens.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SoulHeart
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel has 2 buildings, one new building and one older building. The hotel management always tries to push us to the older building which is not very clean, service is not very great too.
In the morning when we switched on the bathroom tap, almost brown or red water and we were shocked. When we showed it to the management, there was no much serious reaction from the management and after hours they finally cleaned the tank and gave us some not so clean but not so dirty better water.

Room Tip: Always choose the new building which faces the main road.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple