“Unbeatable location”

M House
Ranked #90 of 202 Agra B&B and Inns
“Unbeatable location”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The location is simply unbeatable; a 20 second walk to one of the Taj entry gates, from where you can walk to the ticket counter in about 5 minutes. Means that getting up early to beat the crowds is very easy.

Whilst not the cleanest or nicest hotel we stayed in during our trip around India, it is more than acceptable for a 1 night stay to see the Taj, the cleanliness is fine. Our room wasn't huge, but bathroom was clean enough and had cable tv & aircon.

The restaurant underneath the hotel does a good Thali at a reasonable price.

Owner was friendly and chatted to us for a bit.

WiFi was a little slow, but ok.

Would recommend simply based on location.

Travelled June 2013, as a couple, AC room, booked as part of Rajasthan tour.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chennai, India
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This is the closest you will get to staying near the Taj Mahal. Our family of 4 only had a day in Agra and wanted to be the first to visit the Taj Mahal as soon as it was open to public. We planned to be there at sunrise. So when we reached the previous night, we were happy to find that it was very close to one of the entrances for the Taj.

But the good points stop there. The door isnt secure; but I was ok since I had my husband beside me. I wouldnt recommend if you're travelling alone. The sleep quality isnt great; questionable bed; but we didnt complain. I was interested in visiting the Taj more than aanything else. There are great restaurants with amazingly tasty food around the corner, so no worries there too. Sight-seeing closes early in Agra, but the city was awake until late and noisy around this area.

Cleanliness? Let's face it. This is the most visited place in India and attracts more visitors per day than any other location. So dont expect the bathrooms to be squeaky clean and plush. Also, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Agra hotels

Home
Reviewed 27 April 2013

When the power goes, they dont have their own generator. So the one next door will keep you awake and sweating all night.

Avoid this place. They wont even refund me for the inconvenience. Donot go here. Take the one opposite the road or else where. Taj Mahal is not too far for any hotel. The Manager on night was very rude and the owner was a B.

This is worst place I have been in. They couldnt be bothered that I couldnt sleep.
Avoid.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank C K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

The hotel has a weird design insofar as the bathroom of one room has a window into the bathroom of the room nextdoor (high up, about 6” from the floor, but the window is about 1 ft tall by 2.5 ft wide, easily big enough for a person to see and to get through). If you are in a group and your friends are in the next room then this might not be an issue, but if you are travelling by yourself, then you may feel a little vulnerable to leave your belongings in the room when you are not there, or a bit freaked out when the people in the room nextdoor start banging on the window and/or opening the window when you are in the shower as happened to me when I stayed there. I felt incredibly vulnerable, not knowing if there were 20 big burly men on the other side of the window, or if a teenager was going to put a camera-phone through and take a snap of me in my altogether. I tried to phone reception, but the phone in the room didn’t work, so I had to get dressed and walk past the room of the window-rattlers to go downstairs to the reception. I complained to the man on reception, who was overall very kind and reassuring, but said that he couldn’t say or do anything to the people in the next room as they were not from his culture (the perpetrators being French tourists rather than Indian nationals). Perhaps if I had been an Indian woman being harassed by western tourists the staff would have reacted differently, but as it was westerners being idiots to a westerner, the hotel staff didn’t seem to want to get too involved. I then went myself to speak to the people in the next room and tell them to pack it in, and the man on reception came with me while I did so, but didn’t say anything (in fairness, I was very worked up and shouting quite a lot by this point, so it might have been hard for him to get a word in). He then came to my room and put newspaper over the window. This seemed like a very flimsy solution, however the problem is in the design of the hotel (and with the morons in the next room), so there was not much else he could have done at that time. He was very kind and reassuring, but knowing how easily someone could open the window into my room, I didn’t want to stay there for the second night that had originally been booked and so checked out in the morning.
The room was clean and the hotel is in a good location, but for lone travellers, or those who value their privacy and security, I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a room without a window from your bathroom into the room next door!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank BabsT69
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Really enjoy the place and the people, they are really prestative. From the hotel it's possible to go to Taj Mahal on foot. It's also near by other touristic points. The rooms are really clean and safety.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Giodll
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

This was booked through my travel agent and I was pleasantly surprised. The staff are so friendly and helpful an always keen to have a chat.
My room was large, clean and well furnished. The bathroom was tiled with fresh blue and white colours and the hot water was hot! Wifi worked well on my room which was at the front. The noise from the bust road didn't bother me.
The hotel is easy walking to the west gate and sunrise was magic!
The main downfall is the restaurant which is way overpriced. Breakfast was included and was absolutely dismal!!! I had one choice only which was a bland omelette with 2 pieces of white toast, buttered. I don't eat butter and enjoy at least pepper in my omelette.
I found an awesome restaurant in Raj Ganj at the Saniya Palace Hotel. It's a little tricky to find but make the effort and ask where it is. The restaurant is cheap, delicious, fantastic service and without doubt the BEST views of the Taj Mahal.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Lyn,Australia
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Ok this was not our choice in hotel but due to our uncle collapsing out of dehydration just outside this hotel in the rush of an emergency we checked in and booked 3 rooms. The rates we were charged was of a 3/4 star hotel in the area what we got were dingy rooms with mismatched make do furniture and bedding. Also the noise pollution is really dealing in this area. So my issues with this hotel is ....as promised "hot running water" ,no hot water came out of the shower .when we confronted the owner she said " it's very cold so the geyser pipes get cold and that's why cold water but if you want hot water il send the boy with bucket of hot water" . We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights the geyser pipes remained cold and buckets of water kept arriving. Attached to the hotel is its restaurant ,once again service is ridiculously bad .My sister and I had ordered coffee,toast pancakes and syrup. First arrived the pancakes the syrup was to follow ten minutes later ,thereafter the coffee arrived probably 15 mins after that followed by cold toast. Then the Internet cafe which is advertised to give free surfing for guests ,it was such a poor connection Internet explorer couldn't even be opened. Be warned this is not a place to bother checking into ,you will just be banging your head against people out to make money.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here try get a room that doesn't face the main road. Also note to acces...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family