“Great staff. Great price. Ok rooms. ”

and 1 more site!
Friends Paying Guest House
Ranked #6 of 191 Speciality Lodging in Agra
“Great staff. Great price. Ok rooms. ”
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

The location is ok, but there isn't much in terms of restaurants around. 1km to the Taj east gate which is walkable. The family who owns it is super nice and let me use their laptop and phone. The rooms are a bit musty, and it didn't help that our ceiling fan didn't work. Fixing these little things would make this place almost perfect.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. From the moment we arrived we felt welcome and relaxed with the family. They were so helpful and were able to get us a tuk-tuk at a good price to come and pick us up from the guest house and take us to where ever we needed to go.
They also had good suggestions for places to visit other than the Taj, which is obviously the reason to head to Agra.
We met some other back packers in Varanasi and have also given them details to stay here, we would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Good stay in Agra for a back-packers vibe next to all the resorts. Lovely staff and very helpfull. Bilou became my friend here. It realy feels like home with the whole family around. Clean and near the eastern gate.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I hate to write a negative review, because this is a family (well, at least mostly one family, possibly with some friends/ employees) trying to get by in Agra, and I think that deep down, like most people, they're good folks. But I don't think I'd stay here again, and feel like people might want to know why.

First, it was pretty touty -- the son(?) in charge was surface nice, and I do think good deep-down, but basically was regularly trying to sell me on various things during my stay. I mean, it's India, I get it -- but it was a bit depressing to have to go through that all the time when one gets it once stepping outside (it's Agra, pretty bad in the dept.) And I was nickel-and-dimed the whole way (e.g., they charged me for toilet paper without telling me). It's obviously not a big deal, particularly since it's cheap (even by Agra standards) -- it just doesn't make for a happy atmosphere (I think most people, like me, would rather just pay slightly more and not have to go through that stuff). The building itself is pretty rag-tag; the room I stayed in for most of the time was downright grimy (sheets really did not seem clean, and I wouldn't call myself high-maintenance). Again, it's a cheap place in India, I get it -- but I have stayed elsewhere for only a little bit more and the difference has been VAST (maybe I was just lucky?). There is only one hot shower, which must be planned about an hour in advance. Do NOT count on the place having wifi -- in my experience, the wifi was ok about 20% of the time, awful 40% of the time, and nonfunctional 40% of the time (including when the family turns it off as they go to bed -- which I asked not to happen, but they kept doing it). For me, that was a serious issue -- I accept it being down some of the time, but I basically could never count on it, and it's not like decent wifi is super easy to get in Agra. Probably the worst thing, though, was that I had to move rooms FOUR times in 3 days. They put me in a room without a bathroom, even though I paid for it, the first night. I was forbearing; but then for various reasons (broken things), they kept moving me until I finally was settled in a room. That was one of the worst parts, and again, I still had to pay the same amount.

The other worst part was the NOISE. My god. Again, it's India, I get it -- but the rooms are not really insulated from the street at ALL. My last night, as one example, here was a progression: the neighborhood rooster started crowing at midnight (sounds like a bad detective novel) and it felt like he was in the room; at 12:30a a massive construction project started on the street (which could happen anywhere, of course -- but again, SOME remove from the street is almost critical in India), and at that point I noticed the comical fact that I could hear the mom's (?) snoring in the other room OVER the construction noise. I am a light sleeper, admittedly, but I did not sleep well, and at least during my stay, I doubt anyone would disagree that the noise was intense.

I did like the location -- walking distance to the Taj!

Finally, the food was decent -- definitely not amazing, but Agra is not a foodie paradise, so I thought that part was ok (though the kitchen [the mom!] was open limited hours).

In sum, I would LIKE to like this place, and it's definitely cheap, but it was just draining to be there -- and depressing (except when I would talk to other travellers, that part was nice! :) ). I think it was the wrong choice, and I'd probably pay a bit more were I to go to Agra again.

Room Tip: I don't think you CAN choose a room -- they'll put you where they want, no matter what you p...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank cashreal
friendguesthouse, Manager at Friends Paying Guest House, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your Feedback , Dear Sir When you Arrive here we Gave you Deluxe four bed Room Same Price of Double Bed Room you said us No Problem , You Make a Reservation Free of Cost here , We Email you Many times Regarding Room Booking is Confirm or not ? but you did not Reply therefore We cancel your Room booking but Suddenly you Arrive in our Hostel so We have no any other option . We Gave you first Night Four Bed Room and Second Night Changed and Give you Double Bed Room in the Same Price of Single and This is Basic Family Guest House Not Luxury Hotel . If you want More Comfort and More Facilities why do you Booked Small Guest Houses Because of the Price . Indian Standard is fine but some people they Always Compare with Big Cities Hotels .

Best Regard

Joseph

Have a Happy Journey All My Lovely Guest
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I had a good experience at friends paying guest house. Its within 10 minutes walking distance to the east gate of the Taj Mahal and the staff are really nice and friendly. I would go back there again if I was to go to Agra again.

• Stayed February 2014
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This hostel is average at best. The food served in the restaurant isn't good. Some of the staff are very careless specially if they don't see an opportunity to gain extra money from you. There is warm water only in one shower in the entire hotel and the supply isn't that great. I was here in winter and got sick waiting for the warm water in the cold air since the shower is outside. Only good thing is that you can walk to Taj Mahal, but that's about it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank stralsunder88
friendguesthouse, Owner at Friends Paying Guest House, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thank you for Response . Please Explain us How we are Careless ? and Food is very fresh we cooked but its took more time in the Description we said this is Home Stay so, food make my mother , I am very Surprised to see this you are the one who said food is not good .
He booked basic Single Room with share bath Room - He had Hot shower upstairs . In the Month of December is very Cold here and He didn't wait for hot shower ,

Best Regard
Yusuf Khan
Reviewed 29 January 2014

+ The owners where really nice. The guesthouse is only 15 minutes walk to the Taj Mahal.
- The shower was cold. Besides the Taj Mahal there is nothing much to do around the gueshouse. Also no restaurants closeby.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo