“Relatively good price for excellent location”
Review of Ray of Maya Hotel

Ray of Maya Hotel
Ranked #6 of 205 Agra B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Like others have said: perfect location (10 minute walk to the Taj) and very clean rooms (especially the bathroom). Stayed in the newer building of the hotel: very modern feel to it, and friendly staff.

The restaurant in the old hotel building across the street serves decent food for a good price.

Overall a good choice for a night in Agra. Room rates were not cheap, but compared to what other hotels were offering we thought this was still a (relatively) good deal. Especially if you can manage to get an off-season discount and/or get one of the cheaper rooms without a view of the Taj.

Room Tip: We had the room with a balcony and view of the Taj. It was well visible, but pretty far away, and we...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Prokaryota
There are newer reviews for Ray of Maya Hotel

Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed at the Ray of Maya Hotel for three nights. The rooms are clean and spacious. The location is excellent at about 15 minutes walking distance of the entrance of the Taj Mahal.
However, the rooms are quite expensive for Agra, as is the food in the restaurant. I wouldn’t certainly recommend to make use of their services: the rickshaw driver the hotel suggested ripped us of and the suggested taxi was overpriced.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elpe05
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The hotel is barely a few hundred meters from Taj Mahal and is very affordable compared to some other nice hotels around. The room is spacious, with an adjoining small room to lounge in or smoke. The bathroom is small but adequate. They give a number of towels which was greatly appreciated. One BIG pitfall and the reason for my low rating: there were literally hundreds of mosquitoes in the small room (we had not opened any door or windows) and they all came out at night. Thank God I always carry some kind of mosquito killer spray when traveling and thus we were saved! I used almost a half of that spray bottle that night! I am sure we would have ended up with malaria or dengue if not for that spray. I shudder to even think about it. Apart from the room and towels, they literally provide nothing. Food is served from Maya Hotel and is strictly ok. Desserts are not worth trying. There is no coffee maker, no complimentary water, no toiletries. Oh and the rooms are situated on the first floor and there's no elevator. However, if you wish to visit Agra for a day or two, and do not wish to stay in an expensive hotel, this might well be your choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank NishaBothra
Reviewed 25 April 2013

When my teenage son & I arrived at the Maya hotel to find our budget twin room booking had been muddled up & become a small double bed in a tiny room, we were immediately upgraded to a fabulous, spacious room with an amazing bathroom in the Ray of Maya Hotel across the road. Excellent! The restaurant under the Maya hotel served excellent food both at breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank VictoriaEB1
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We stayed in Agra with the whole family (6 ppl) for only one night. It's a nice hotel with a good and friendly management, which answered all my e-mails quickly. Rooms are clean and bathrooms big with good fittings, only downgrade was the smelly brownish water. Best about this hotel is that it is in walking distance from the Taj Mahal. A downgrade are the pushy and expensive rikshaw drivers who claim to belong to the hotel. They were insisting on taking us to Fort Agra before we even checked into the hotel and the price was quite high for indian standards.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lenavonspiess
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This is a brilliant and cheap hotel, perfect for a quick stay in Agra. It's just a 10-15 minute walk from the entrance to the Taj Mahal! The rooms are bright and clean, and there is a view of the Taj from the roof! The staff are friendly and helpful, and the hotel's restaurant (on the opposite street) is very good!

Seriously unbeatable for the money.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ZReff
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The driver supplied by the hotel for the airport transfer was a nice chatty guy. charged exactly the same as all the other hotel drivers, i found out, 500Rp. However, put me under a lot of pressure to spend a lot of money (by indian standards) on a trp straight away that evening with him to the gardens on the opposite side of the taj mahal. when i refused, because he said the hotel felt they had a responsibiity for me he got "the hotel's rickshaw driver" to do the trip for me at a lower rate. I have no doubt that the rickshaw driver had nothing to do with the hotel because i never saw him again and am sure that the taxi driver was taking some of the rickshaw driver's profit. Then the pressure was on for me to use the taxi to go to fatehpur sikri the next day - oh, the bus was awful, full of people, irregular in timing etc etc. Patently none of this was true, and by going by bus I met some much nicer people and it cost me something like 1/100th of the cost. I mean, there was nothing *wrong* with this taxi driver's suggestion, it's just that as a single woman stood in the lobby with the driver and the hotel manager and some other hotel people I felt a bit uncomfortably pressured about this.

Rooftop gives good views of the TM.

My room was a deluxe suite so quite expensive, but really very good. hot water. good towels. WiFi pretty strong. They don't clean the rooms on your second day, in keeping with every other hotel I stayed in in india. I think this hotel probably is pretty good value because Agra is full of bad and overpriced hotels from what I was reading. Good location.

The hotel opposite, hotel maya, has the restaurant. I ordered a lassi which smelled and tasted of effluent so I sent it back (was told there was no problem with the yoghurt but that they had added "rock salt" to it which would make it taste like it did) - after this experience I probably wouldn't recommend the restaurant to anyone. From what I heard the Taste of Spice restaurant nearby is a very good non-touristy higher-end restaurant nearby.

They lock the double glazed front door at night without leaving a key nearby. It is on a massive keyring which takes the night porter about 5 minutes to find after you've woken him up. This is a fire hazard. I let them know. They weren't interested. It's india. I suppose at least it keeps the robbers at bay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank wafflysoph
fin15land, Owner at Ray of Maya Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Hi Wafflysoph,
Thanks for your review. The taxi guy was not an employee of the hotel and had probably only been on contract to drop you at the hotel. We do not employ any taxi/rickshaws to ferry our guests around Agra and do suggest every guest to book a taxi only after confirming the fare. If your experience was otherwise, we offer our apologies on behalf of the town of Agra and assure you that the hotel is not connected to any taxi or rickshaw drivers.

As far as your complaint about the smell of effluent coming from the lassi you ordered, we would like to explain that in India, lassi is not prepared with table salt. Only Rock Salt is used in it, which adds flavor and a typical aroma to it, due to it being rich in sulphur (hence the smell of boiled eggs or sulphur dioxide). The Yogurt we serve is prepared fresh every day, from boiled milk and the leftover is discarded in the evening.

Regarding the key of the main door, it is a security measure that we have to employ, in order to prevent robbers from getting in. We understand your concern for fire safety and assure you that all fire-safety measures are adhered to, at the hotel.

Thanks again for your valuable inputs,
Do visit us again