“Falling standards and disappointed”
Review of ITC Mughal, Agra

ITC Mughal, Agra
Ranked #13 of 144 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed 19 December 2013

First to set the perspective I have stayed in this property several times in the past. I have always had an overall pleasant stay earlier. However this time has been particularly disappointing and for the first time I am writing a review even while I have another night to stay here! I have returned after a gap of a couple of years. My room # 633 is part of the old wing both which clearly need some investment and refurbishment. However rusty bathroom fittings. slight seepage, chipped and cracked doors or old polish on the furniture were the least of my worries. Within a few minutes of checking in the room my first call was to ask housekeeping to clean the bathroom floors which had female hair all over. That job done, after a few minutes I realised that lights in the wardrobe were not working and that there weren't any basic things like room slippers etc kept. The list of standard amenities that one is used to and takes for granted like water glasses in the bathroom, conditioners etc (the list is long). Some delays and few calls later these were provided. Later in the lobby I wanted to have a chat with the front office manager. I had to leave after waiting for about 10 minutes. I realised later there was absolutely no follow up or an attempt to do so.
I have rated this property for this visit 2 stars. The 2nd one is more out of loyalty and better memories of past visits. Needs to significantly improve on maintenance and service to remain relevant.

Room Tip: Make sure you first check that your room is part of the renovated wing.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Avijit M
ITCMUGHAL, Manager at ITC Mughal, Agra, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out some of your precious time and posting your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience that might have been caused during your stay with us. Your feedback has been shared with our Managers who are taking the necessary steps to prevent this situation.

We would be very pleased to have the opportunity to receive you again at ITC Mughal Hotel, so that we can show you that our deepest concern is our guest satisfaction.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Came back again to this Nice friendly property.
Very Friendly staff.
This time did feel some difference need to pull up !!
I always love coming back here.
It has that great aura of history with beautiful gardens which tempts one to walk around.
Even with my tight schedule did squeeze in a short walk !!
Would come back here !!

Room Tip: Choose a Room with a View. While booking / Check in request for a Room with Garden or Swimming Pool...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank QCINT
ITCMUGHAL, Manager at ITC Mughal, Agra, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Guest,

It is our pleasure to know that the service provided to you were appreciated and also that we could make your stay a memorable and wonderful experience.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Probably a high end luxurious hotel when first built some 30 years ago, ITC has done a poor job maintaining the hotel. The lobby, bar, and restaurants still look stately and boast the original Makrana marble (same as the Taj Mahal itself) but the rooms look run down. Our Mughal room had a very worn bathroom (ratty shower curtain, cracks throughout with big jagged caulking, wobbly fixtures, etc), questionable looking bedspreads, and was out of stock on a number of amenities (restocked upon calling). On the plus side the AC was strong and service generally was pretty good. The pool seemed well maintained but I did not see anyone using it - it seemed more for the aesthetics and I wouldn't plan on using it. Finally, as far as the restaurant goes, the buffets are fairly limited compared to other hotels in this price range and I would avoid a la carte altogether.

All in all a fairly average hotel with rooms on par with a standard US motel that is mainly in business due to the location.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ofLeisure
ITCMUGHAL, Manager at ITC Mughal, Agra, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Me and my wife spent just one night at ITC Mughal and the experience was awesome. The hotel has a very heritage feel to it and the rooms are spacious. Just the bathroom could be a little bigger and frankly I am not a big fan of using the toilet paper. Other than that the hotel room and service is quite good. The food is great too!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Me and my wife stayed here for just one night in December 2013. We had come to celebrate our anniversary for which the hotel had given us a complimentary freshly baked cake.

The property is pretty huge and seems more beautiful at night. I don't quite like the red brick exterior but considering its an old establishment its OK.

The lobby is magnanimous and lawns are sprawling. We had breakfast included in our rates and the spread was excellent. The good thing was that although the breakfast was till 10:00 am I entered at 10:20 and even then the staff was in no rush to push me out.

Starting from the check in to the bell boy the services were of a good 5 star hotel.

The only disappointment I felt was when I wanted to have a drink in the evening near the pool side or in the open, there was no facility catering to my needs.

Overall I felt it was a good property and decently affordable prices.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SahilBanbah

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This has to be my best every hotel stay. The property, the service, the food everything is top notch. There is nothing to dislike here and it is one of the fre 5 star roperties that has a personality and a character. The contrast is even more brought out because you happen to pass by Taj Gateway everytime you step out. That seems like a budget motel infront of this one's grandeur. I loved every minute of my stay It was my first anniversary and given that both me and my wife couldnt manage week long breaks from work a quick weekend trip to Jaipur/Agra/Lucknow seemed the way to go. We settled in on Agra and after much deliberating between Wyndham, Jaypee and ITC settled in on ITC Mughal and boy are we glad that we chose this. It is well and truly luxurious and everything you expect from such a property and much more. Our check in process was very very smooth inspite of a slight hassle. I had booked via makemytrip and the hotel was overbooked on that category. Needless to say we were upgraded. A special call out to Neha Sharma who was the most pleasant, helpful and charming lady I have had the chance to interact with in a hotel. She went out of her way to ensure we were happy and content with what we got. It is just the sort of behaviour once expects but doesnt get these days. It was not the fake courtesy of airhosteses but genuine warmth and a genuine eagerness to help. Wonderful experience. If there do please go in for the SPA. Its expensive but its worth it.

Room Tip: Unlike what the website says, there are 5 categories. In starting order: 1. Mughal Room 2. Mughal...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ITCMUGHAL, Manager at ITC Mughal, Agra, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Reviewed 11 December 2013

a great, luxurious getaway from the busy town of Agra. The rooms were spacious and clean, and the food served both at breakfast and by room service was excellent.
Problem solving - quick and efficient, check-in and check-out procedures - fast and courteous.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends