“superb”
Review of ITC Mughal, Agra

ITC Mughal, Agra
Ranked #13 of 147 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed 12 January 2009

We stayed at the ITC Mughal as part of a longer India trip and although we payed more at other Taj properties during our trip , our whole family agreed that this was the best hotel we had stayed at.

The difference for us was the excellent service, the small, thoughtful touches in our rooms, the excellent restaurants and the outstanding spa...all in all a superb experience

As a Starwood Platinum member we had a one room upgraded to a suite that was very spacious and came complete with lovely his and hers kurta pyjama's for our stay as well as a goldfish which was a hit with our daughter. Our other room was a deluxe room which was also very comfortable and well decorated.

The pool was under renovation during our stay but should be in good shape for Feb/March as the weather gets warmer.

Would recommend this hotel unreservedly.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank harpd16
Write a ReviewReviews (4,315)

Reviewed 3 January 2009

It is rare to leave a hotel feeling like you have not just made friends, but become part of a family. The staff at the ITC Mughal provided a level of personal attention that left me feeling like a head of state and not someone who wanted to improve his health with some spa treatments and a bit of relaxation.

Trevor Michaels, my personal butler, went above and beyond the call of duty, meeting me at 06:30 for morning walks in the gardens. He escorted me to the gardens of the Taj Mahal, an area behind where the main tourists visit. There, he became my personal guide for a much more relaxed and beautiful way to experience the wonders of this national treasure.

Chef Pratish met with me almost daily to discuss a food plan to improve my overall health. But food plan would not be accurate because it combines changes in life as well as meal preparation and ways to eat and live healthier.

The housekeeping staff were exceptional. The room was always fresh with changed flowers and fruit. One day, one of the staff came in to feed the fish, but instead brought the fishbowl to me (I was working on a report for my company at the time) and offered for me to feed them. A small gesture that really made my day.

And the feature of this resort is the Kaya Kalp Spa. The spa is the reason I chose the hotel and it exceeded my expectations. Melissa Wong and her very professional team went out of their way to ensure my comfort and provide a range of treatments that were certainly a challenge because of my size. Subhash, the masseuse assigned ot me, took care to ensure that I was comfortable throughout my treatments.

The spa has a massive lap pool, which I spent every morning in. And Trevor was standing there with hot coffee and a towel after each session.

I was also assigned a yoga coach to help me with breathing exercises and meditation. The sessions provided by Rohit became the final link needed to bring the whole experience together.

I cannot imagine a better experience.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2008

A cliche is a cliche for a reason right. If so many people are saying "wow" is their review of this hotel, then something's gotta be really right about this place! The hospitality is the most astounding aspect! Everyone is beaming, and courteous, and wanting to help.

When reserving we asked for a NON-smoking room. The hotel being owned and run by a tobacco manufacturing group, (and given my experience with other hotels in India) I was wondering if we'd get one when we did arrive there. And we did! Hurrah!!

The room was FANTASTIC! The bathroom is small but unbelievably pretty and sophisticated! (The first time we turned the tap on there was red muddy water - icky! - but that sorted itself out) I could write a novel with a chapter on each and every little detail in the room (from the pretty box of Indian dessert/sweets, to the fine bone china tea set with Indian motif, to the comfortable bed, beautiful view, etc etc)

The pool is good. Was not heated, but clean, with plenty of clean towels handy, a small strange looking shower/locker room thingie nearby.

There is a Taj viewing area upstairs, with a dirty old swing set to see the Taj from. Worth using morning coffee time for this.

The travel desk booked our admission to the Taj by full moon - a lovely experience. Memorable but for some drunk big shot local and entourage that chanced to be on the same batch of visitors as us! Not to mention it was not a very clear night as well... it being the rainy season.

Interesting incident:

We had dinner reservations for 7 PM at Peshawari (to be able to do the Taj by full moon trip after dinner), and the restaurant was not open when we got there. Some thought it should be open, others thought it should open at 7:30... one would think they would be better organized/informed...eh?

Anyways, included in our package was a drink each for two. It doesn't state that the drink needs to be at the bar. We asked to have the drink with dinner at Peshawari (food was above average, I have eaten better at other good restaurants in India), and after some "discussion/consideration" they relented :) :)

Breakfast buffet was HUGE! Indian (meaning south, north, and western Indian) and continental breakfast. It was terribly crowded the weekend we were there but the staff was super efficient and everything worked like clockwork. We got our custom-made "special masala chai with ginger" in no time!

TONS of New Delhi-residents arrive here on special Holiday weekends - try to visit on weekdays or regular weekends. That way, you might be able to get a spa appointment. The earliest they had one for us was 2 days after our departure! :(

Its expensive but worth it. I did not visit the only other hotel in the area pricier than this, but I can bet this is good enough for the majority of us!! How better can it get really?!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2008

I stayed at the Mughal Agra with my family earlier this year and we all agreed it was the best stays we have had among the luxury hotels we have stayed at. I booked it through the starwood preferred guest program and the experience was wonderful from the booking exec to the staff at the Mughal. They gave us room upgrades, extended check-out time, brought welcome drinks and did everything they could to make the family feel valued, welcomed, and happy. The staff is fabulous and knows what a family with kids would be needing. The spa is one of the best in the country and the architecture of the hotel makes it a perfect fit for the historic city it is based in. Overall, excellent!

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 1 December 2008

I would agree with many of the reviews here. The Taj is an oasis of calm in th chaos of Agra.

Some of the areas are quite dated & the room price is high but the service was superb. Each member of staff we encountered could not do enough to help us.

The room we had was spacious & fairly luxurious. Maybe not to the standard of the Shangri-La in Delhi but still very good. Some areas in the rooms need slight attention but the hotel is quite old.

The restaurant on the lower ground floor was excellent. We ate here twice & really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2008

We loved our stay at the ITC. Much of our room cost was covered by hotel points so we are not sure how much the place really costs. The staff were incredibly attentive and friendly. The grounds are a wonderful place to just walk around and take in the flowers, birds etc. Breakfast buffet was varied and good. It was an oasis among the crazy and full streets of Agra.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2008

very good hotel, worth every penny!
the staff is very friendly, and ready to help any time

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank graheja