“Beautiful property, great service and awesome view of Taj.”

The Oberoi Amarvilas
Ranked #1 of 145 Hotels in Agra
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Beautiful property, great service and awesome view of Taj.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Property is amazing with great view of Taj from every room. Hotel staff is very warm and welcoming. Staff took good care of every little requirement and visit to Taj was memorable.

We had a great time staying here and this is one property where I would like to bring my family in future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your reviews on Trip Advisor.

It gives me immense pleasure to read that you enjoyed the beauty of the hotel during your stay and that we were able to create fond memories to carry back home. I will be pleased to share your generous comments with the team which will be a great source of motivation for all.

We hope to welcome you and your family to the Oberoi Amarvilas in the not too distant future.

Ankush Mahajan,

Ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (816)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Venice, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We didn't have the pleasure of staying at the hotel. We stayed at the Trident. However upon walking into the Oberoi, you can identifiably see and feel why it is rated higher and more expensive than the Trident. We didn't have a Rez at Esphahan, so they seated us at Bellevue but offered us both restaurant's menus. My husband loved his thali, and mine was good too, but incredibly spicy. Service was too notch and the hotel is gorgeous.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read that your had a pleasant dinning experience with us and that the Indian cuisine served in our restaurant was to your liking. However, I have made a note of your comment regarding the spice levels of the food.

Our trained and guest focused restaurant food and beverage team relies on your feedback to constantly improve the dining experience at or restaurants.

We hope that our distinctive product and service will tempt you to return and stay with us in the future.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

This was my second trip to Agra and my husband's first so we decided to push the boat out with this choice of hotel, because of its views of the Taj Mahal. It's the most expensive place we have ever stayed on our own dime, but as the title of this review says, it was worth every penny.

All the rooms overlook the Taj - some have balconies to heighten the experience - and there are also great views of the monument from the wonderful bar. We chose the Oberoi for the views, but it was also great to be cocooned in the sort of luxury that this fabulous chain provides. While not perfect in every single detail - there was the odd slip up in service - it was nevertheless a top class experience. So, some details: the building and the parkland that surround it are just beautiful; the hotel provides a golf buggy to take guests as close to the Taj as it is possible to go, which is a great benefit; the swimming pool is out of this world amazing, although access for those with mobility challenges is tricky. That said, the staff could not have been more helpful in supporting my husband down the two flights of stairs from the ground level and back up again. It is not something he would normally have attempted, as he walks with the aid of a stick, but the pool was such an attraction that he could not resist!

The room we had was spacious and beautifully appointed, as was the bathroom. The food was excellent, but be aware that if you want to eat in the Indian restaurant, rather than the one that serves international food, you have to book in advance. If you stay here, try to make time to enjoy all that this fabulous hotel has to offer, not just its proximity to the Taj Mahal. And make sure to try the pool!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read your detailed feedback with reference to your stay at the Oberoi Amarvilas. I am glad that you enjoyed staying with us and the product, service and cuisine were to your liking.

The hotel does indeed offer magnificent views of the Taj Mahal and beautifully manicured gardens from all our guest rooms, lobby and the lounge. I will be pleased to share your comment with the members of our team.

I have also made a note of your comments regarding the service where at times we were unable to meet your expectations. We believe that it is only by working on feedback we can achieve higher standards helping us to exceed guest expectations.

Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to welcome you back again in the not so distant future.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

What is there to say! This place is possible one of the best hotels I have ever stayed. The level of indulgence in rooms, service, pool and although I didn't try it, most probably the spa, is second to none. Our room had a view of the Taj, when it wasn't foggy, which was a lot! But worth it when the fog lifted. The buffet restaurant was great but it really is the whole set up that needs to be seen to be believed. If you can stay here its a life experience!

Room Tip: room with a view of the taj is great.
Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the views of the Taj Mahal from your room, as well as the facilities and services offered at the hotel. The fog is a common problem at this time of the year but as stated by you, once it lifts, the view is well worth the wait. The pool is one of the most beautiful areas of the hotel and is a great place to relax after you complete your visit to the monuments and local sights.

Your feedback is highly valued and helps us stay motivated towards trying to deliver the best service to our guests. We will certainly share the same with our entire team at the Oberoi Amarvilas.

We thank you for your generous comment and hope to welcome you back soon.

Marina del Rey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I traveled with my best friend to this hotel as the Taj Mahal was on my bucket list (I'm 38, I'm checking things off early!) We took advantage of a stay three nights, pay for two special, which was much needed as this is a pricey hotel. BUT IT'S WORTH IT! Don't let the cost deter you. Save up and find a way to make this your Agra home base.

All rooms overlook the Taj and the number of stunning pictures I have from just our room are fantastic. Our beds were comfortable, the room beautifully decorated, the bathroom was lovely as well.

The hotel staff was attentive, but not pushy, helpful, knowledgeable, and really, really excellent. The hotel was not crowded as we visited at the tail end of the rainy season. As such, we got to know our wait staff, the bartenders, just everyone went out of their way (our bar waiter even gave us a gift at the end of our stay!)

The hotel shops have beautiful items, including the handmade paper which is framed in many of the common areas (photo of mine included). I've never bought anything in any shop in a hotel, believing the items overpriced and generic, but these shops are a cut above.

Our breakfast was included and was very yummy. We ended up eating all of our meals in the hotel as the food was so great. They have a continental menu as well as a large selection of Indian dishes. I ate exclusively Indian meals and they were all excellent. We dined our last night in Esphahan, their exclusively Indian restaurant and it was spectacular. We met the chef and he took us into the kitchen for a lesson in how naan is made, which was great fun.

The hotel arranged a car and driver and guide (all at extra cost, FYI) for us to all local sites, including the Taj. We appreciated this so much and it was not fraught with the usual tourist-shop sideshow so often tied to such services. We ended up going to the Taj the first time with the guide and the next day by ourselves, on a hotel-provided free golf cart. At $15 for a visit, it's well worth going more than once. I recommend visiting early in the morning before the tourist buses arrive from Delhi (about 11 AM).

Also a benefit of the rainy season was discounted spa services and I had a lovely massage in one of the rooms featured on their website, so I know it's not all staged photos. The pool is also wonderful and the wait staff servicing it attentive.

I feel like I could go on and on about this hotel and I have, but it was really well-worth every hard-earned penny.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience at The Oberoi Amarvilas.

It is my pleasure to read such a wonderful review of your stay with us. I am glad that the hotel, its location, the cuisine and the service were all up to your expectations. Your kind and generous comments are much appreciated and are a great source of motivation for our team. It is our constant endeavor to create experiences which become memories for a lifetime.

I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

If you are investing time, trouble & expense in actually getting to Agra it makes perfect sense to enhance and maximize the whole Taj Mahal experience and push the boat out by staying awhile at the Oberoi Amarvilas.
The location of the hotel is literally a couple of minutes' away by buggy ride to the Eastern Gate entrance of the Taj Mahal & from the hotel windows there are spectacular distant views of this unique and remarkable monument.
We stayed in a premier room which was spacious & extremely well appointed.
There is 30 minutes' complimentary wi-fi but unfortunately found the connection too slow to benefit this facility - a very minor grouse in the circumstances.
Had we been staying later in the year when the weather was warmer we would have opted for a room with a balcony in order to experience a moonlight dinner but at this particular time of the year the evenings are just too cold.
The service as one would expect is immaculate, friendly & professional and one has merely to lift an eyebrow & attention is forthcoming in a nanosecond from the traditionally attired young and enthusiastic staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your reviews on Trip Advisor.

It gives me immense pleasure to read that you enjoyed the beauty of the hotel and that the service and cuisine was to your expectation. The hotel offers magnificent views of the Taj Mahal from the room, lobby and the lounge area. We have a complimentary golf cart service for our guests to visit the Taj Mahal and it is our endeavor to ensure that your sightseeing needs are well catered to.

Our young and well trained team members are delighted to be at your service and I am glad that their efforts have made this stay an experience to treasure.

I have also made a note of your feedback regarding the WI-Fi connectivity and the same is being looked into.

Thank you for your kind comments and we hope to welcome you back to the Oberoi Amarvilas.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I enjoyed an unforgettable experience with our four children at the Oberoi Amarvillas over New Years Eve. It was one of the highlights of our time in India. The children could not believe their eyes when they stepped into the foyer of this magnificent hotel and came face to face with the Taj Mahal. The view is mesmerising. The staff where amazing and spoke to us by name each time they saw us. They were happy, friendly and accommodating. The food at each of the restaurants, by the pool and in our room were magnificent. The spa was amazing too with a beautiful view of the Taj Mahal. The children were fussed over and made to feel welcome which was definitely a bonus. It is a little on the expensive side but I would not hesitate to recommend this beautiful hotel. It is the complete package and as I said before we had a truly unforgettable experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed different aspects of the hotel during your stay with us. Our hotel does offer magnificent views of the Taj Mahal from every room and it is the endeavor of our dedicated team to personalize your stay at the hotel.

At the Oberoi Amarvilas, we strive to make our younger guests comfortable and meet their every need. We truly believe that our well trained and service oriented team members are our best resource and I will be glad to share your wonderful feedback with all.

Thank you for choosing us to bring in your New Year and we hope that your experience with us will tempt you to return and stay at the Oberoi hotels and resorts around the world.

ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com