“Amazing :)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 146 Hotels in Agra
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
“Amazing :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Oberoi amarvilas in Agra with the intention of seeing the Taj Mahal - and we were not disappointed. The hotel, staff, service, everything was superb :) if you intend to see the Taj, then this really is the hotel to stay at .... Superb !

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the views of the Taj Mahal from the hotel met your expectations. Located a few hundred metres away from the monument, we offer day long transport to and from the Taj Mahal by hotel golf cart.

Thank you for your generous comments regarding the hotel, staff and service. It is the constant endeavor of our well trained and guest focused team to anticipate your needs and deliver exceptional service. It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with them.

We hope that fond memories of your stay here will tempt ypu to return soon to one of the Oberoi Hotels and Resorts.

Ankush Mahajan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (778)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had a view of the Taj Mahal from the balcony of our room. The hotel is a bit tired in places. The rooms need updating especially the bathrooms. We had a lot of trouble working the shower and the walls felt slimy to touch. The balcony furniture was dirty with the leavings of the previous guest still there. The staff could not do enough for us. At dinner on the only night we stayed there the staff gave us a bottle of pickles as a gift as we mentioned that they tasted great and we picked most of the ingredients when asked.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing us on Trip Advisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed the view of the Taj Mahal from the balcony of your room. All rooms and most public areas in the hotel offer spectacular views of the iconic monument.

We appreciate your detailed feedback regarding the maintenance and cleanliness aspects of the room and bathroom. I have shared the same with the concerned teams and we will definitely act upon the same. We believe working upon valuable feedback received from our guests is the only way of achieving the levels of excellence we aspire towards.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff in the dining room. I am glad that they were able to personalize your dining experience and create fond memories for the future.

I hope that you will give us another chance to serve you soon. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi Amarvilas.

Wash., DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The setting of the hotel is just so stunning it is unbelievable. The pool is amazingly relaxing. All the rooms have views of the Taj Mahal and pool. The room and beds are very comfortable. I loved the design - Eastern but modern feeling. The Indian restaurant in the hotel is excellent. The other restaurant was fine, but the service was uneven. I have no complaints, as the hotel is just so beautiful. I took the complimentary yoga class in the afternoon and I thought the instructor was excellent.

This was my third hotel of my Indian trip and my favorite. they were all so different. I stayed at the Ananda in the Himalays which is famous in India as a yoga/meditation retreat, but I didn't find it friendly and while it may be a fine place to contemplate your naval it didn't feel like a "resort". You didn't feel pampered, and spa treatments were very hard to come by. I also stayed at the Taj Mahal Hotel in Delhi which had unparalleled service but average rooms. I LOVED the Taj for its service, but overall, the setting of the Oberoi is just so great and relaxing it may end up on top.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Oberoi Amarvilas and for posting your review on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the location of the hotel and the stunning views of the Taj Mahal and the hotel grounds were to your liking. I am also glad that you were able to relax at our beautiful pool area. The latter offers the perfect place to unwind after a long day of sightseeing, while our well trained team attempt to make you feel truly pampered their attentive yet unobtrusive service.

I am likewise pleased to know that the service at the Indian restaurant, as well as the sessions taken by our Yoga instructor, was to your satisfaction. Your comments regarding the inconsistent service at our all day dining restaurant have been shared with the concerned team and we will definitely work together on improving the same.

I hope that the relaxing moments spent with us tempt you to return to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at Amarvilas during a tour of northern India. The hotel facilities were as you would expect for an Oberoi hotel and it has an ideal location for the Taj Mahal. All of the rooms have a view of the Taj and buggies are available to take you the short ride up to the pedestrianised area (a short walk only to the entrance). Because of our busy schedule we didn't spend a great deal of time in the hotel but did find time one afternoon to sunbathe by the pool. We only ate at the Belleve restaurant which, although good, was not an experience like the other Oberoi's that we have stayed at.

Room Tip: The higher floors have better views of the Taj Mahal. We booked a Premier Room and were offered a ba...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the views, facilities and convenient location during your stay with us. The Oberoi Amarvilas offers spectacular views of the Taj Mahal from every guest room, as well as the Lobby and Bar, while the day long shuttle service by hotel golf cart makes sure the monument is just a couple of minutes away.

Our pool area is another highlight of the hotel, and proves the perfect spot to relax after a long day of sightseeing. I understand that you did not find time on this trip to enjoy the same on this trip. Also, I regret that the service experience at Bellevue, our all day dining restaurant, did not live up to your high expectations. We appreciate that our guests expect only the best from us and please allow me to assure you that we will do our utmost to live up to the same. Your feedback has been shared with the relevant teams and will be a source of motivation for us.
I hope that you will return to the hotel for a longer stay soon and allow us the opportunity to serve you again.

ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Although it also still deserves an excellent rating, of the five Oberoi Hotels visited on our trip, this is the one where the service was not up to the standard we have come to expect. It is, however, only by comparison to the other Oberoi Hotels that the service here seemed somewhat lacking - compared to all other hotels where I have been in the world, it is still better by far.

That said, the Hotel is very attractive with lots of attention to detail in the décor and with its unique view over the Taj Mahal. The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated and also have THE VIEW.

Of the two restaurants, the Indian Cuisine is the better one - one would go far to match the taste and quality of the food and the indigenous live music is thrilling. Mention must be made of the service in this restaurant: it cannot be better and the few other staff members that tainted the 'service rating' somewhat will do well to take some guidance from the team manning the restaurant.

As one must have the Taj Mahal experience, it is probably the best hotel to stay in Agra and was, in the end, a very memorable stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I am glad to read that you appreciated the views and the décor at the hotel. All of our guest rooms as well as well as most of the public areas offer stunning views of the Taj Mahal. The elegantly decorated interiors and rooms are designed to make your stay a truly luxurious experience. Our picturesque gardens and relaxing pool area are other highlights of the hotel.

Your kind comments regarding the food and service in Esphahan, our Indian specialty restaurant, will be shared with the concerned team members and will be source of inspiration to them.

I am grateful for your constructive feedback regarding the service received at the hotel. We appreciate that you compare us to only the best and it is our constant endeavor to live up to those expectations. I regret that in this instance we have not been able to do so. We will surely work upon your feedback and hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the near future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Best regards,

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We didn't stay here as it was beyod our travelling budget but we did do drinks here for a friend's birthday and it was lovely. The decor is sensational, stylish and just beautiful. The staff are dressed in Punjabi style, in northern patterned fabric and look just gorgeously handsome. You can sit outside and watch the sun set around the Taj Mahal, have a gin and tonic and wish that you had extra cash to spend on accommodation! Amazingly, they even gave our friend a small gift for his birthday! Talk about customer service. A beautifully elegant and stylish hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi Amarvilas during your visit to the hotel and a fantastic review.

Our endeavor is to be known for friendly, intuitive and personalized yet professional and it is great to know that you were impressed with the personal touch in our service delivery.

Our resort offers an excellent opportunity to relax and unwind in tranquil surroundings and this is what our guests appreciate the most about us as it balances the vibrant and bustling charm of Agra.

As they say, a place is because of its people and so is our resort. I am blessed with a team of committed and enthusiastic people.I have personally shared your appreciation with my entire team.

We all look forward to have you and your friends come and stay with us in not so distant furture. If i can be of any assistance, please feel free to write to me at ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Best regards

General Manager.
Greenwich, ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

The oberoi amarvilas was perhaps the most luxurious and opulent hotel I have ever stayed at. It is the closest hotel to the Taj Mahal and each room has a beautiful view of the taj. It is the only hotel from which you can have a uniformed punjabi with a beard and turban drive you to the taj entrance by private golf cart. All the wait staff and room stewards are dressed in turbans and the Indian pajama coats and are extremely attentive and courteous. The swimming pool at the oberoi amarvilas was the most spectacular hotel pools I've ever seen. The gardens are beautiful and impeccable. It was not crowded when we stayed there, perhaps because it is expensive which made it all the more elegant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dealing46
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Oberoi Amarvilas.

I am delighted to read the favorable review of your stay at the hotel. The hotel does indeed offer stunning views of the Taj Mahal from all guest rooms, lobby area and the Bar. The proximity to the monument as well as day long shuttle service via hotel golf cart, makes your visit as convenient as possible.

Thank you for your kind praise of the hotel, facilities, gardens and pool area, as well as of the service received from our well trained team members. The same will be shared with them gladly.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you again to the hotel in the not too distant future.