“ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE.....FEEL LIKE A MUGHAL KING”

The Oberoi Amarvilas
Ranked #1 of 147 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Everything about this property is incredible.... Be it location, architecture....ambience or the service.
Me and wife stayed here for 3 nights.
An usher was present on the vehicle ramp to welcome us even before we got done from our car.
We were royally escorted to the hotel main entrance where another smiling sari clad lady welcomed us traditionally with the sandoori tilak....
The hotel realises the tiring journey one may have made to reach them, and waste no time in keeping one waiting for check- in formalities, rather they take initiative for the same once one has reached the room....
The cold towels awaited our arrival in the picturesque lounge overlooking the magnificent TAJ MAHAL... And we were promptly served the welcome drinks....
After a short show around of this beautiful property, we were escorted to our room.....
The hotel staff had remembered each and every request of mine and everything in the room was perfect.....
The housekeeping staff exhibit outstanding art using linen and towels to beautify the bedroom.
The servers at the pool, those at the bar and restaurants realise the importance of your trip and leave no stone unturned to bring a smile on your face..... No request of mine was turned down whatsoever.....including my wish to fly kites, which were promptly organised by the staff with a smile.
The chefs, so passionate about their profession take pleasure in designing special delicacies for their guests......
I recommend ESPHEHAN, the speciality dining Indian restaurant...the kebabs, the dal or the Thali.....ordered with confidence and never went wrong. One restaurant I have come across after a long time that can beat the BUKHARA with its succulent and savoury kebabs.
The entire staff goes out of the way to serve you...... All under the directions of managerial artisan, Mr Ankush Mahajan who was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule to spend some time with us.....

All in all, this hotel is the GEM in the TAJ MAHAL, which will make your visit to Agra unforgettable....

Room Tip: Choose a room with balcony on the higher floor to get picturesque views of TAJ...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

It gives me immense pleasure to read that you enjoyed the magnificent views of the Taj Mahal from the room, the architecture, ambience and the cuisine was to your liking. We have a traditional welcome for all our guests which consist of a vermillion tikka applied on the forehead along with the soothing cold towels followed by a refreshing welcome drink.
We truly believe that our trained and guest focused team members are our greatest asset and I will be glad to share your wonderful feedback with all, it is the endeavor of our dedicated team to personalize your stay at the hotel. It is our pleasure to be complimented as for our Indian restaurant Esphahan.

Thank you for your beautiful review and we hope to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Warm regards,

Ankush.mahajan@oberoihotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,360)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel looks very beautiful and has spectacular views of Taj. I take a splendid dinner in the hotel restaurant. But service of this hotel is not up to the international level. The way housekeeping staff treats to the guest is not acceptable since they are not keeping their promises which is not an evidence of loyalty towards their guests. I think there is a need of remarkable changes in staff in room allocation and maintenance department (specially girls). Rest of the service is good. I hope the manager will take appropriate action to meat the standard of Oberoi hotel. In totality I will not recommend this hotel a best place to stay in Agra.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank michEnlighten

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

It is with much regret that I read of your disappointment with your experience at The Oberoi Amarvilas.

We at Oberoi Hotels we sincerely believe that it is only by accepting and working on constructive feedback from our guests that we can achieve the highest levels of service that we aspire towards. I have studied your feedback in detail and have discussed the same in detail with our concerned teams. We all truly value our guests’ experience and regret that your stay in this instance was much less than satisfactory.

I would request you to kindly consider this incident as a one off case and not a reflection of the usual standards that we at the Oberoi Amarvilas follow or aspire to deliver to our most valued guests.

Once again I regret your disappointment and I hope that in time your will allow us the opportunity to serve you and to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here for 1 night while in India. It was a great birthday treat! The hotel is beautiful as are the impeccably maintained grounds that surround this hotel. Our room was truly beautiful. Very nice king-size bed, walk-in closet and huge bathroom. The many fountains, pools and terraced lawns are great sights to see while taking a leisurely stroll around the property. The food at the Bellevue Restaurant was very good. Be prepared to take a very leisurely time for your meals. Service is very good, but the food takes time. The experience we had here would definitely make us want to return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience at The Oberoi Amarvilas.

It is my pleasure to read such a wonderful review of your stay with us. I am glad that the hotel, the cuisine and the service were all up to your expectations. It is our constant endeavor to create experiences which become memories for a lifetime. Your kind and generous comments are much appreciated and are a great source of motivation for our team.

I have made a note of your feedback regarding the service time of food and the same has been discussed with the concerned team. We will certainly work upon improving the same.

We are delighted that you chose us for your birthday celebration and I hope that our distinctive service will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many excellent Oberoi Hotels & Resorts in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Recently spent three nights at this beautiful hotel. I believe it is the best one is Agra however the hotel does need some loving care.

Room: We booked a premier room with a balcony. Taj view was amazing. Directly in front of our room. Could see it while lying in bed. Room 327.

Lamp shade was wonky. When I tried to adjust it for some room photos the power cut out to the room. This was swiftly fixed by the staff.

The room has beautiful wooden floors but time has taken its toll and deep scratches are everywhere. Not the hotels fault though.

I'm not sure if it is because of the materials used for the head board or the throw pillows but the room smells like straw.

When you turn the taps on, you will get a few seconds of rusty water. There is a note to say the water is not potable. Again not really the hotels fault. Just FYI. Ample bottled water is provided anyway.

There was a bowl of two apples in the room when we arrived. About 15 minutes later a fresh bowl arrived with apples, kiwi and banana which made me think that we originally had the previous occupants leftovers.

The balcony was relatively clean. The cushions for the chairs are kept inside the rooms closet due to the frequent rain. The cushions are not that clean and are definitely not washed on a regular basis.

Bed was very comfortable. A lot of throw pillows, some quite worn and tatty.

Bathroom amenities were of the oberoi brand. Good quality and fresh scent.

Common areas: Hallways were filled with oil burners giving off a wonderful jasmine scent. Reception was large and airy. There is a sitting room just after reception with tables, couches and a good view of the taj. The tables had not been wiped so had some kind of sticky substance on the top.

Pool: As you can see from the other reviewers pictures, the pool has the wow factors. Great for photos but up close, not so good. So many of the pool floor tiles are broken or have been lifted up so you can just pick some up from under your feet. I had goggles on so could see that the repaired tiles and grouting used was so random. Even from a birds eye view of the pool you can see that the tiles are mismatched. Wherever there is a metal fitting you will find rust. It seeps through the stairs, columns, water features, EVERYWHERE. Also there is mold around the white columns that for the under covered part of the pool. While swimming I found a rusty handle of a bucket/paint can in the pool which I handed over to the staff. All light boxes that decorate the stairs leading down to the pool are broken or smashed. There are these cabanas around the pool for relaxing. The light fittings are full of dead bugs and the cushions have stains everywhere.

The first night we arrived we swam around 7pm. The empty chairs were littered with soiled towels, used glasses.. not a good look.

Even during the day the cleaners mop and supplies are kept out in the open by the changing rooms.

There is a kitchen consealed behind the patio where you can order snacks and drinks. The patio is also where guests can sit to enjoy the pool area. There have these cheap white does into the kitchen which totally spoils the look of the patio and doesn't blend in a all. Usually the service doors are open so you can see the poor state of the kitchen.

The sum the pool up, yes the design is impressive but it need to be renovated and you need to pay attention to the small details in order to create a true 5 star experience.

Spa: Me and my partner booked the 3hr romance package. We are in a same sex relationship. The spa includes a pomegranate and orange scrub, wrap, light facial, massage and rose petal bath.

We reported at the spa reception, had a quick chit chat with the staff then proceeded to the fourth floor for our treatment. The fourth floor offers views of the taj. Upon leaving I caught the staff looking at all each other and giggling. I had a feeling this is because they are not used to have same sex couple book the couples massage treatment. I felt a bit uncomfortable but didn't want to let this spoil my spa. It was $544.00 for both of us.

The treatment room was very nice. The music was relaxing however was on repeat so after while I knew what song was coming next. The CD also koncked out a few times which interrupted the massage.

The massage itself was OK. The products used were very good. The Rose bath was amazing! But the staff were still in the room when we had to get into the bath together. A bit weird and uncomfortable. They did eventually leave for us to enjoy but they should have said "OK, we'll just quickly clean the room and leave you to enjoy the bath" rather then offering the bath then cleaning while we are in it....

Hotel staff: Above all the pool, room and restaurant staff made the experience. They always offered complimentary extras like fresh flowers, drinks, appetizers and dessert. This made us feel very well looked after though our stomachs became so full. We had a room attendant who made animals with the towels. He was VERY keen to make sure we were comfortable. Once night he also came into the room just to ask us to fill out the comment card. Im sure his intentions were good but i felt it was getting a bit OTT.

I did feel they were genuinely friendly and happy to help which really made our stay.

Room service food was excellent. Prompt and of a high standard. Recommend potato gnocchi and what better way to enjoy you meal than with views of the taj.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CallumZW

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Agra and for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor,

We truly appreciate your detailed feedback and regret that your experience in some respects was not up to the usual Oberoi standards we hold ourselves to. At Oberoi Hotels we believe that it is only by accepting and working on constructive feedback from our guests that we can achieve the highest levels of service that we aspire towards. I have studied your feedback in detail and have discussed the same with our concerned teams, and we will certainly work upon it as well.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the pool and restaurant team. I would be most delighted to share the same with the concerned team members. I am sure this will encourage them further in their endeavor to provide excellent service to all guests.

We hope that you will soon give us another chance to serve you in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi Amarvilas.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hotel was beautiful and the view from our balcony was breathtaking. We would highly recommend this hotel.
The staff and service were fantastic.
The breakfast was a feast and the mushroom and pea curry and the fish curry for lunch were the best meals we had in India.
The swimming pool area is beautiful.
If only all hotels could be like this one.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read your generous praise of the hotel and to learn that the cuisine was to your liking. The swimming pool is indeed among one of the most beautiful highlights of the hotel. It will be my pleasure to share your comment with the team which will be highly motivating for them. I am likewise pleased that our team members were able to add to your experience with their service.

Thank you for your recommendation. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to stay with us in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We splurged on one night here for our 5th wedding anniversary and it was worth every penny for this amazing, once in a lifetime experience. This hotel oozes romance from every corner, no detail is forgotten. The hotel itself is like a modern palace and is the only hotel with view of the Taj Mahal. The level of service is above anything I've ever experienced. Laying by the pool during the day you can expect cold water and face towels, scented lotion, and frozen fruit skewers. In the evening, little bowls of snacks magically appear while you enjoy the pool. Service, rooms, views, and amenities like this would cost two to three times as much in a more developed country, so enjoy it over here!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback on Trip Advisor.

It gives me immense pleasure to read that you enjoyed the magnificent views of the Taj Mahal from the room, lobby and the lounge area.

The Mughal design of the hotel adds to your experience and helps create fond memories to carry back with you. Your kind comments are much appreciated and it will be my pleasure to share them with our trained and guest focused team, who are our most valuable asset. The swimming pool is one of the most beautiful and serene places of the hotel to come back and relax after a long tiring day of sight seeing.

Thank you for choosing us for you anniversary and we hope that pleasant memories of your stay will encourage you to stay to stay with us soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Awesome in every way, the property, the service, the location ( view of taj mahal from more or less every part of the hotel)

The staff goes out of the way to fulfil every request

The pool and view is the highlight

Good service at the pool

Spa is a must visit

Stayed: July 2014
AnkusMahajan, General Manager at The Oberoi Amarvilas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review us on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our hotel does offer magnificent views of the Taj Mahal from every room, while the pool provides a serene place to relax and enjoy your holiday. It is the endeavor of our dedicated team to personalize your stay at the hotel.
We truly believe that our trained and guest focused team members are our greatest asset and I will be glad to share your wonderful feedback with all.

We hope that your experience with us will tempt you to return and stay at one of the many Oberoi hotels and resorts around the world.