“Excellent Hotel”

The Gateway Hotel, Agra
Ranked #7 of 142 Hotels in Agra
Reviewed 12 August 2006

This was great hotel. I selected it after reading trip advisor and I was so glad I had read about it first.

We arrived with our car and driver from Delhi late at night and we were greeted with flowers and a complementary drink. The manager gave us a tour of our hotel while he had his associates check us in to our room. Once we got up to our room we were even more pleased by the ammenities in the suite we selected. The two room suite had a dinning table, desk, sofa, and Flat screen tv in the living room portion. The bedroom had a king bed with a little sofa to sit on and a nice closet. But the best thing was the shower and tub in the bathroom. They were SPA styled. The shower shot water at you from head to toe and the bathtub had a hand held shower attached to its fawcet. This was great because I was traveling with my handicapped mother. She was able to bathe with ease. Then we all enjoyed the complementary massage oils in the bathroom and the perfume olis in the living room. Then they served us dinner in the room and it was exceptional. They have a great dinning on site but since my mom was not walking well we opted for the in room service. It was all great. Once the sun came up the next day we were amazed at the spectacular view of the Taj. It was all well worth the stay. I can't wait to return to the Taj View with my husband. This place really exceeded my expectations. Go for the suite and the view, it is well worth the extra dollars.

2  Thank sybilphd
There are newer reviews for The Gateway Hotel, Agra

Reviewed 9 August 2006

We stayed two nights in June. We arrived late and went directly to our nicely appointed Mughal style rooms on the 5th floor. The following morning I was treated to a majestic view of the Taj Mahal.

The restaurants were adequate, although the breakfast buffet was very good. The Indian restaurant did have some good dishes.

The service was very friendly. Upon losing a button of a shirt that was laundered, the staff attended us until a replacement was found and re-attached. A delightful hostess tracked down a recipe from the chef that we commented that we liked.

The pool was mysteriously closed and we were taken to the Sheraton for pool use instead.

We got a great summer rate and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sfmwt
Reviewed 25 July 2006

Given the chaos in Agra, the Taj View was an oasis of comfort. Compared to other Taj hotels, however, this is easily the worst property I've stayed at. We had a nice Taj Mahal facing room. First problem, the hotel forgot to pick us up from the train station despite numerous reminders. If you've ever been the the Agra train station, you'll know why this can be a problem--you get harassed by "agents" of other hotels begging you to give them business. Then, the hotel tried charging us $5 more than the booking price and claimed that the "system" did not include 2 people when quoting rates. This was despite the fact that my booking confirmation clearly indicated two adults. Finally, the manager agreed to charge us the original amount, but after I checked out, I noticed we'd been charged $5 more anyway. Now $5 is a really small amount, but I was annoyed at the incompetence more than anything. The actual room was nice and the bathroom was really clean. If I were ever forced to go back to Agra, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
8  Thank busybee123
Reviewed 18 July 2006

Six of us had two pool facing rooms and a Taj-facing suite between us, for two nights in April. We found a really good deal on theTaj website whereby we paid around half the usual price for the rooms, got breakfast included and also got a free 'tour' (which was use of the hotel car for a couple of hours to do whatever we liked) and 20% discount on food and drinks - worth looking out for.

The hotel is fine overall. The staff are well-intentioned and helpful: I asked a housekeeping guy outside our room for some extra towels and he came in, wiped down the entire bathroom, brought a full fresh set of towels and toiletries and tried to take my shoes from the floor and clean them! When I asked a barman if he could find out what the main spice used in one of our snacks was, the chef came out, told me in detail how to make the dish, disappeared and returned with printouts of the recipes for several of the dishes we had, and then gave me a box of one of the specialist ingredients! Restaurant service was again well-intentioned and friendly but a little confused: the six of us couldn't agree which of the two restaurants to eat in so I asked if we could sit in the a la carte Chinese restaurant but order from both menus. I was assured that this would be fine, but the staff found it confusing: food arrived at all different times, and when the final dish arrived - some pasta - it was incorrect. My daughter said she would eat what had been brought rather than wait even longer; but she asked for a fresh Coca-Cola. After several more requests, when we had all finished eating, the Coke still didn't arrive - but another bowl of pasta did! While we were all still laughing at the random nature of the service, another waiter arrived with three Cokes (one for each time we'd reminded him I think!). It certainly wasn't the place for a formal dinner, but it was friendly and good-natured and we found it amusing. The quality of the food was mixed: snacks in the bar were excellent, the Indian and Western food in the restaurant was okay but not brilliant, and the Chinese dishes were disappointing. The breakfast buffet had a wide range of foods but the quality was so-so.

The rooms were clean and satisfactory; they smelt a little damp (air conditioning problem maybe?), and although they had supposedly been recently refurbished, some of the furnishings looked a bit dated. The suite was nothing like the description on the website: it had a nice spacious bathroom but the sitting room was rather odd - the furnishings and style there seemed even more dated than the standard rooms... The Taj view is interesting though - for once you get to see the Taj Mahal surrounded by the reality of the whole town instead of the usual tourist pictures taken close up where you can't see the rest of Agra (which is pretty unattractive): we were glad to see it in this context.

In short, this was excellent value and we enjoyed our stay because it was friendly and even the lapses made us laugh: but don't stay here if you like formality in your hotels or if you lack a sense of humour.

11  Thank hmac
A TripAdvisor Member
Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 May 2006

We stayed in the Taj View for two nights in a room with a veiw of the Taj Mahal, the room was clean and tidy, the beds were large and comfortable. The staff were courteous and polite. While the foyer was a little dark, it was ok. There was plenty of choice for food, Indian, Chinese, English and was all very good and fresh. The pool was clean and not crowded, the service was very good.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member