“Worth a visit, but be careful not to pay over the odds” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 101 things to do in Agra
London, UK
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Worth a visit, but be careful not to pay over the odds”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

The mosque is worth visiting, if not by any means a must-see in my opinion. However, it cost me INR300 for about a ten minute visit, which was insane (it costs INR750 to get into the Taj Mahal). I had to leave my shoes at the gate - fair enough, it's a religious thing - but then when I left I had to tip the guy who'd "looked after them" (INR50; maybe he'd have taken less, I don't know). The guy who was showing me round the mosque suddenly turned on me in a side chamber and proffered a bit of paper showing "donations to the mosque"; I was going to donate 100 anyway, but the paper was covered in donations of 1000-1500 and I felt obliged to make it up to 200 to look a bit less cheap. (Even at the time I knew this was a cheap ploy, but I still fell for it.)The instant I handed that over, he said "and 100 for me?" Fortunately my look of shock caused him to revise that down to "and 50 for me?" which I gave him. So, as I say, it cost me 300 all in, which was insane. I'd only been in India about 5 days and I don't like negotiating and I felt oddly vulnerable being in there on my own, but these little tricks didn't help. Forewarned is forearmed, and if you go in determined not to be guilted into paying too much it's well worth a visit, but don't go out of your way to do so would be my advice.

Visited December 2013

Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful Design!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I visited the Jama Masjid with my family. It was very beautiful & a must see for everyone visiting India.

Visited February 2013
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fabulous Architecture”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This Masjid was beautifully designed and really loved visiting it! Must see for everyone....it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Visited February 2013
Dallas, Texas
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“take foot covers or socks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

As with many sites in India, you must remove your shoes prior to entering. While that is usually not so bad, there are a lot of pigeons on the square of the Jama Masjid and that means, of course, there is a lot of pigeon excrement on the ground... I would suggest taking some socks you don't care too much about or some foot covers that would be acceptable.

With that covered, this is a very large, grand mosque that is still actively used. It is definitely worth a visit.

Visited November 2013
Katowice, Poland
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Not really worth a visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

It was not an interesting visit, especially that we had already been to Jama Masjid in Delhi and Fatehpur Sikri. The one in Agra appeared to be the least impressive, so you would not regret omitting it. If you decide to visit, be prepared for tips (for the "guide", the person looking after shoes, and others) as well a "voluntary" donation for the mosque (extremely high amounts suggested, follow your own mind).

Visited November 2013